Cabin tips

wcGma

Started this topic as couldn’t easily find if there is a better place to post this. On our NL cruise we found that the closet doors would rattle abit at night and disturbed our sleep. My solution which solved the problem was to wedge the slippers in the track. They fit without pushing too much on the doors. Also needed to have the heated floor checked as wasn’t really getting warm. Don’t hesitate to ask your cabin steward if you think there are any issues. Wonderful immediate service. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wcGma said:

Started this topic as couldn’t easily find if there is a better place to post this. On our NL cruise we found that the closet doors would rattle abit at night and disturbed our sleep. My solution which solved the problem was to wedge the slippers in the track. They fit without pushing too much on the doors. Also needed to have the heated floor checked as wasn’t really getting warm. Don’t hesitate to ask your cabin steward if you think there are any issues. Wonderful immediate service. 

What is an "NL" cruise?  Haven't heard that abbreviation.

Funny - we've been doing the exact same thing for all of our Viking cruises!  Jam the slippers into the closet doors 🙂      Most people we talk to seem to know the trick!

As for the floor heaters - yes - just ask the steward for help if needed on that and anything else!  If you don't speak up, they won't know if something is bother you.

You can ask for 2 water carafes each day.  We drink a lot of water plus refill our own water bottles and the cabin attendant was happy to provide.  I also ask for extra hangers the first day plus foam pillows.  

1 minute ago, Famsw said:

You can ask for 2 water carafes each day.  We drink a lot of water plus refill our own water bottles and the cabin attendant was happy to provide.  I also ask for extra hangers the first day plus foam pillows.  

Good tips, and if you go to MVJ and look at stateroom preferences, you can ask for hypoallergenic bedding and you will get foam pillows.  

• Like 2

In a DV/V, I rearrange the furniture to give us a bit more floor space.  I move the chair by the bed closer to the night stand, move the other chair out of the way so I can tuck the coffeetable back into the corner along the party wall and finish by putting the chair in front of the slider as close to the coffeetable as possible.  

If you need to raise the head of the bed for whatever reason, ask the steward to use a mattress pad folded twice the long way and placed under the mattress at the head if the bed.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Famsw said:

You can ask for sparkling water instead of or in addition to still water.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

In a DV/V, I rearrange the furniture to give us a bit more floor space.  I move the chair by the bed closer to the night stand, move the other chair out of the way so I can tuck the coffeetable back into the corner along the party wall and finish by putting the chair in front of the slider as close to the coffeetable as possible.  

If you need to raise the head of the bed for whatever reason, ask the steward to use a mattress pad folded twice the long way and placed under the mattress at the head if the bed.  

For those who need a photo to understand, see before and after below-we do this to our V/DVs also. 

735AAFD4-3799-4AFE-A15C-DAA066B235F8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

For those who need a photo to understand, see before and after below-we do this to our V/DVs also. 

Yes we do the same - does make a little extra room

On 3/27/2024 at 8:58 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

If you don’t use the coffee maker, ask the stewards will remove it. It will give you extra storage space.

I asked the steward to remove the coffee maker, and it quickly disappeared. But toward the end of the cruise, I got Covid and was going to ask to have it brought back so I could make hot water for tea. Just before I asked, I discovered that it had never left the room. It was way up in the closet next to the life jackets. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some people are bothered on the final night of a cruise when their bags are packed and the empty hangers in the closet keep rattling. One person on a different cruise line posted a tip: push all the hangers together and put a bath towel folded longwise through the opening. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I think of this as the  “Clay hack” for Viking V/DV suites. 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GerryL13 said:

I asked the steward to remove the coffee maker, and it quickly disappeared. But toward the end of the cruise, I got Covid and was going to ask to have it brought back so I could make hot water for tea. Just before I asked, I discovered that it had never left the room. It was way up in the closet next to the life jackets. 😄

Are you sure this was in Viking?  Life jackets aren’t kept in the staterooms-at least not in V, DV, PV🤔

4 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

I think of this as the  “Clay hack” for Viking V/DV suites. 😂

LOL-now I’m gonna have to go back and figure out who I stole it from-seems like a YouTuber 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Are you sure this was in Viking?  Life jackets aren’t kept in the staterooms-at least not in V, DV, PV🤔

I might be mistaken about the life jackets, but the coffee machine was definitely tucked away on the top shelf of the closet (DV cabin). I managed to pull it down without dropping it on my head!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 2:12 AM, Peregrina651 said:

This is on Ocean, correct?

• 2 weeks later...

No converter needed on the ships; in hotels, maybe.   There are both120v outlets in the cabin and 220v outlets.  There are also USB outlets.

Most cell phones and cameras can be charged using either 120v or 220v (but need an adapter for the 220 outlet).  Confirm the device specs before you try to use 220v outlet; it will need a plug adapter.  

The Viking FAQ has more info.

Don't use hairdryers or other high wattage devices in the bathroom plug meant for shavers; it will blow the fuse.

For those who have not sailed on VO before, spend time the first night figuring out which switch works for turning on and off lights in each area before you need to use them during the night.  Great options once one learns how to use them as we learned on our first VO cruise).

For anyone who "overpacks", take hangers that allow multiple pants, skirts, etc. on the same hanger (additional regular hangers can be requested but there is only so much room in a closet).  As suggested by many others on this board, use your suitcase(s) under the bed as additional drawer space for items that are not regularly needed. 

If you take "sticky notes" with you, you can leave them in the cabin/suite and let the individual(s) know what you would like.  If you want something kept the same, or something changed; this worked well for us. 

If you are having issues with your cabin onboard, other passengers who have sailed on VO before are are a great source of information.  Unless it is an urgent situation, those passengers are often the best resource, and also provide the most relevant assistance. 

I am giving a shout out to previous cruisers who provided me with information before our cruise who post on this board, and also to those individuals who are providing information on "live" threads.  VO is a wonderful CC board (and also an onboard experience)!

• Like 2