Drive from Allen TX to Galveston

Hi, we are joining our large family group on the Harmony this summer.

It's too long of a drive for me in one day (we're in our mid-80's). 

Where would you recommend we stay overnight and have an easier drive into Galveston on cruise day.

Thanks for any help you offer. 😄

Is Allen almost up to McKinney or closer to Denton? I go back to Dallas in the 60s when Spring Valley and Coit Road were considered far out! 🤪 Think it would be good to make it to at least The Woodlands, in the northern part of the Houston metro area, if you are coming down I 45. Anything south of The Woodlands would be even better for the next day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Is Allen almost up to McKinney or closer to Denton? I go back to Dallas in the 60s when Spring Valley and Coit Road were considered far out! 🤪 Think it would be good to make it to at least The Woodlands, in the northern part of the Houston metro area, if you are coming down I 45. Anything south of The Woodlands would be even better for the next day.

We are between Plano and McKinney.  Now I'm thinking the drive might be more "hectic" on Saturday than just going down early Sunday and avoiding trucks, landscapers, etc.

I forgot to mention I am a Nervous Nilly in the car and will be more so at speeds of 80mph.

Our son will drive but I'm a terrible backseat driver.  Just kicking some ideas around before I approach him with my "ideas." 😅

Driving conditions down here from Conroe south aren't much different on Sunday than Saturday.  I recommend you drive to Conroe and stay the night.  Go to Zully's Latin food place in Willis, next to Tractor Supply, for dinner.  Easy drive Sunday morning. 

• 2 weeks later...

Conroe or the Woodlands atea would be a good stopping point. If you fave a toll tag you can eother take the Grand Parkway (HW 99) East, then South to TX 146 and rrconnect with I-45 just North of Galveston or go further South on I-45 and take the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8  to I-45 South.

Thanks everyone!   We've made a reservation at the brand new Hampton Inn-Shenandoah at the Woodlands.  We can leave Allen around 9am, have a nice lunch somewhere and then check in at the hotel.  Thank you Dan for the directions....I'll pass on to our son who'll be driving.  Grandma will be much more relaxed than that long drive all the way to Galveston on day of the cruise, with little room for anything unexpected.  I am a scardy-cat backseat driver these days.  We're celebrating our 65th wedding anniversary this week so you get the picture 😀

Anyone have any recommendations for lunch near the hotel?

• Like 3

On 4/11/2024 at 5:47 AM, BridgeMates said:

Anyone have any recommendations for lunch near the hotel?

Continuing south on the service road from your hotel is an Outback Steakhouse, a Red Lobster, and Mia’s Table which is very popular. If you continue south and take a right at the light onto Research Forest, there’s a host of sit down and fast food places, including Killen’s BBQ and Lama Mediterranean, and more farther along Research Forest. Or if you make a U-turn at the light, there are several places in the shopping center, including Katz’s Deli and Another Broken Egg. IOW, there are many places to choose from!

We live in Fort Worth and several times have done the "day of" drive.  For the love of all that is holy, though : START EARLY.  If we see sunlight before we hit I-45 we're behind schedule.  This still leaves us a chance at a restroom break at Buc-ee's in Madisonville and lunch right about when we hit the Woodlands.

Essentially, first thing once we get to G-Town is we unload the big luggage with the porter and still have a couple hours cushion (even more if there was fog and the ship's arrival was delayed).

Point being, you don't have to be on that ship soon as boarding starts.  You will almost always have time. 

15 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

You will almost always have time. 

Until you don't 😞 

Coming down from Wylie, and just cancelled a May cruise rather than drive down day of due to a last minute scheduling conflict with grand-daughter's HS graduation.