Solo bidding?

Good Morning! I am a frequent NCL solo cruiser but haven’t sailed since NCL made their new solo ocean views and balconies categories.

I’m looking at pulling the trigger on a cruise on the Sun in June and wasn’t sure how the bidding worked. If I book a solo inside and wanted to bid on a balcony-do they have solo ones as a seperate category that only solos can bid on? If they do- is it a 2x charge on the bid? The solo balconies are about $1600 more and since there are several left I would prefer to book an inside and bid if possible. 

Or does anyone now when they close do an upgrade using the NCL Mastercard-I do have enough points for a double meta upgrade? 

In my experience the bids are based on double occupancy (2x charge on bid). If you currently have a solo rate that gives you access to the Solo lounge, provided your ship has one, you would lose that access. 

Also be aware you have no input on cabin location. 

It could be any balcony, if you "win" the upgrade, not just those cabins designated "solo balconies."

I'm currently in that situation waiting to see if bid for balcony from solo inside on Getaway works out.

Good luck!

No clue on how the MC points work as I've not used them for a cabin upgrade.  

Two suggestions:

(1) Book as soon as possible and book the exact cabin you want.  If you receive an invitation to bid and they bid is accepted, it may be a cabin or location that you want. You do not have a say.

(2) Call your NCL Mastercard and ask what they might be able to do for you.  They might be able to help get you a really good deal.

The Sun does not have a Solo Lounge.  Your Freestyle Daily will tell you where the Solos will be meeting each evening.

Enjoy your cruise and the Sun in particular.  She is a small wonderful ship.

3 minutes ago, floridafish said:

In my experience the bids are based on double occupancy (2x charge on bid). If you currently have a solo rate that gives you access to the Solo lounge, provided your ship has one, you would lose that access. 

Also be aware you have no input on cabin location. 

All true.

But, I've sailed in a solo cabin.  The solo lounge, while nice for coffee and danish, really wasn't all that helpful. The bar was limited and only open a short time each day.

The solo get togethers published in the Dailies are a better source for solo activities.

Thanks everyone. That was super helpful.
I have bid on upgrades before but was confused on how all the new categories were handled. I will call MasterCard tonight before I book and see if I could still get an upgrade with them before I make the decision on which to book. I would be happy in an inside, but a balcony would be nice for Alaska.