Gym on Queen Victoria

It's yes to all of the above, with the possible exception of the chin up bar (pull up bar), which I don't recall, but usually it's along from the squat rack so it probably is there. It's the full TechnoGym range, so any medium to large gym with a TechnoGym contract will have the same equipment.

• Thanks 1

DreamingOfSunnyDays,

I don't think they have barbells in the sense of "free weights" but they do have machines that let you do a bench press. The only free weights are hand weights and kettlebells. And you are correct, the motion of the ship can add a degree of difficulty, at least it does for me.

Jack

I don't recall barbells on QM2. I only use dumbells for free weights so might just not have noticed. From a safety point of view perhaps there's a risk of a heavily laden barbell rolling about and injuring someone. Although it must be possible to get weights that aren't circular.

There should be plenty there to improvise on your regular routine.

2 hours ago, david63 said:

What is a gym?😇😄

A place that allows you to spend two weeks on QM2, eating and drinking as much as you want, and lose weight!

• Like 1

No barbells, 

dumbbells from 1 kg to 30kg (?) definitely 20kg (my limit),

Techno gym machines,

NO squat rack,

No chin up bar. 

2 flat benches that can be inclined,   

If you change  your routine to being dumbbell based you should be able to keep fit and keep your muscle mass.

It is a keep fit gym not a bodybuilding gym.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Photo Andy said:

No barbells, 

dumbbells from 1 kg to 30kg (?) definitely 20kg (my limit),

Techno gym machines,

NO squat rack,

No chin up bar. 

2 flat benches that can be inclined,   

If you change  your routine to being dumbbell based you should be able to keep fit and keep your muscle mass.

It is a keep fit gym not a bodybuilding gym.   

Thanks Andy.

Appreciate that. I’m looking to just maintain really and not build as on the QV for two weeks and QA for one. Just didn’t want to lose to much as been working hard to be fit at 40 (my 40th is in board) and don’t want to look like a deflated bouncy castle after the 3 weeks in pictures.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2024 at 6:58 PM, david63 said:

What is a gym?😇😄

I believe I did see some sort of signage and directions on my way up to the Commodore Bar 🤔😅

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I second the advice from @Photo Andy above. That is my recollection from November past on QV. 

Its worth noting that the ceiling height is rather low, hence probably the reason for no squat rack or chin up bars. I'm just under 6ft and would occasionally hit my head on the ceiling when running on the treadmill 🤣

I did some cardio then used one of the two weight benches for dumbell exercises and dumbbell squats.

Fair play to you for keeping the routine. I'm 49 and went almost every day on a 12 day cruise. Came home to my gyms In-Body machine scan to find I'd put on a kilo of muscle rather than fat! Result!

Enjoy your trip!

Edited by ClaireRuss
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my post earlier. 

ClaireRuss is correct the ceiling is low so be careful doing overhead press / shoulder press,  sit on the bench,  I did hit the ceiling when standing  doing overhead press - no damage thankfully to anything just embarrassing. You also have the promenade deck for walking / aerobics, and if rough and not allowed outside just walk the stairs - aerobic and lower leg strengthening. 

Probably the best gym on board is P and O Iona, it has everything you originally mentioned. I just alter my routine whether on Victoria or Iona.

BW. 

• Like 1