Cruise Disembark Question

Hiya i'm going on my first cruise this summer, everything is booked and I can't wait!

I only had the option to book a very late flight home (10pm) and was wondering if we would be able to stay on the cruise ship until it's time to go to the airport or do we need to get off early? And if we do does anyone have any suggestions what we can do all day in Corfu to pass the time as it will be a long wait.

Thanks! 

You don’t say which cruise company and ship as this can make a difference.

If you are sailing on a Marella ship with your flight included in the package then you will have to vacate your cabin by 08.00 but you then have the run of the ship until your flight transfer is called - usually about 3 hours before take off.

You can eat at the food outlets and use your drinks package until you disembark.

There is an area to store your hand luggage and cabins are made available for you to shower and change to your travelling clothes. Sometimes, depending on availability, you can pay for the use of a cabin for the day.

With our favoured cruise line it is always vacate the cabin by 8am, but as Izzywiz says we then have the run of the ship for a while anyway.  I think we can go as far as lunch and then we are transported.

Again, with our favoured cruise line we have generally booked the air through them, especially if we know it is going to be a late flight departure, because we know that there will be a lot of others in the same situation.  In this case we have been transported to a hotel conference / ballroom and accommodated there until departure to the airport.

If your cruise line is not going to do something then you will have to take care of yourself because most airlines in most countries don't want you or your luggage checking in much more than 4 hours before the flight.

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic,

It's a good idea to quote your location, at least the country, in your screen-name. That will get you more-accurate replies to questions on a number of topics like passports, visas, currency etc. And it would probably eliminate chartered fly-cruises if you are in North America - but if you've already booked you'll already know about that advantage of a chartered fly-cruise.

Other than that, as others have posted you need to vacate your cabin by about 8.30 and be off the ship by about 9.30 - 10.00.

Your problem isn't what to do in Corfu if you have a late flight - there are plenty of tours, beaches, bars, restaurants, etc., or you could just explore the town.

The problem is that you'll be encumbered by your luggage 🙁.

Check the internet, and mebbe ask on TripAdvisor and the Greece forum here on Cruise Critic 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/463-greece-ports/ 

about luggage storage options in Corfu - shops, airport (it's only a couple of miles from the port) rail station if there is one, etc.

Or make best use of your long day on Corfu, and pre-book a rental car from one of the rental agencies at the airport - make sure it's as small and cheap as possible but big enough to keep your luggage hidden, You can then explore the island, find a good evening meal, etc before returning the car to the airport in good time to check in for your flight.

JB 🙂

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated 🙂

Yes the cruise is the Marella Explorer, I like the idea of booking a rental car for the day and driving around to explore I will look into that :)

Thanks again! X

We did the Explorer cruise from Corfu in 2022 and had a fabulous time. 
The great thing about a Marella cruise is that, because your flights are included in the package, disembarking at the end of the cruise is easy. 
The fact that you are able to stay on the ship and enjoy all the facilities saves having to find options to fill the day but you are also able to leave and return to the ship as you wish as long as you are back in time to get your transfer to the airport.

You put your hold luggage outside your cabin before you go to bed on the last night (make sure you have your clothes and shoes for the following day…I’ve seen people disembark in pyjamas!!) and it is collected and stored until you identify it as you get on your coach to the airport so you do have to worry about suitcases. 
You keep your carryon cases for your night clothes, medication, flight needs etc. which are then stored in a safe but accessible location.

If you haven’t been to Corfu before, Corfu Town is easily accessible from the port and is a blend of ancient and modern with lots of nice cafes, green spaces, a castle, a cricket pitch in the main square and plenty of nice shops.

Marella Explorer docked in Corfu

b487ce8d-0b2d-4844-afb7-41cb07b3cb27.thumb.jpeg.0c86743e3b613a82969c75c233748500.jpeg
Relaxing on board

IMG_0739.thumb.jpeg.6a1a6b9043da8cf5fe1858534f6111e2.jpeg

IMG_4561.thumb.jpeg.fc80fc40a1b9190b4f92fd75c77b6e9a.jpeg

f6ec9d10-825d-46cf-abb1-e8fd04047d70.thumb.jpeg.8068aca68fe5491a71375b4070fb8d6c.jpeg

6e5a0e2b-b987-4ea7-ba30-91dcb94a41e0.thumb.jpeg.3786917f4f7977c429674ed0354b1342.jpeg

IMG_0709.thumb.jpeg.6eae43074d86685b9de8a165ac80c8c3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ARGene said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated 🙂

Yes the cruise is the Marella Explorer, I like the idea of booking a rental car for the day and driving around to explore I will look into that 🙂

Thanks again! X

So it's Marella - a Marella-chartered flight?. 

If so, the first para of my post applies, and I can confirm the post by @Izzywiz

That means no need of a car, you & your luggage should be able to stay on the ship and enjoy all the food & facilities (except your cabin) until your airport transfer is called - for a 10pm flight that's likely to be about 6pm to 7pm.

If instead you choose to rent a car, go to Guest Relations a few days ahead and tell them - they'll tell you about how to organise your luggage and note that you won't be using the transfer bus - they don't want to be searching for you to catch the bus 

We sailed a Marella Adriatic fly-cruise a couple of years back. You'll certainly enjoy historic little Koper, Split. the iconic walled city of Dubrovnik, and the long sail in / sail out of cosy little Kotor.

Trieste is pleasant enough, but it's on the itinerary as a vaguely-convenient port to visit Venice if you've not been there before - most cruise ships are no longer permitted to port in Venice.

JB 🙂