Gerber Dime

damiross

I know what the list of prohibited items says on the Princess page.  But, it's probably up to security to interpret the rules.

Princess says no knives with a blade of 2.5 inches.  The Gerber Dime's blade length is 1.38 inches.

Has anyone had any problem getting the Dime on board?  Although the blade length is less than 2.5 inches, I'm just wondering if security might consider the length of the blade plus the length of the tool's body to exceed the maximum length.

No idea what Princess' rule is, but I hope you plan on leaving this item in you're cabin in the event that you're able to get it onboard with it being confiscated.  In Ensenada, someone in front of me in the security line brought a butter knife off the ship.  The port security agents made a big fuss about it and it required the ship's security staff to go and bail the person out.  Overhearing, what transpired, the ship's security reasoned that the butter knife was part of the ship's wares.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
Posted (edited)

I had my Gerber removed from my luggage (not carry on)... blade length 2.75" at embarkation.  I had to register it and they sent it to me through the post after I had paid a fee on my return. I wasn't happy. But they aren't cheap and they wanted me to throw it in the garbage!

I can see why they are so sensitive about potential weapons but it is weird because there are so many knives in the restaurants that if I wanted to do anything silly I could easily get a weapon.

Edited by Snaxmuppet

Odd... I have a Leatherman that lives in my Dopp Kit. I don't even think about it and it's been in that bag on pretty much every cruise we've taken. The knife blade is about the same length as the one on the Gerber. (I had to look up what a Gerber Dime is...) I've never given it a second thought...

Guest Snaxmuppet
8 hours ago, Thrak said:

Odd... I have a Leatherman that lives in my Dopp Kit. I don't even think about it and it's been in that bag on pretty much every cruise we've taken. The knife blade is about the same length as the one on the Gerber. (I had to look up what a Gerber Dime is...) I've never given it a second thought...

Same as me. I just keep my Gerber in my holiday kit. I take it everywhere so never even thought about it. In fact, when they pulled us aside at check in I couldn't imagine what it was for. It wasn't until we got down to the luggage scanning area that I realised it was the Gerber.

Needless to say, it no longer lives in the holiday kit!

On boarding the Regal in Galveston my wife was sent to the security table, they made her get rid of a small ziplock bag of banana chips and some peanuts she had these in a shirt pocket. Glad they didn't see on the luggage scan the other large bag. We probably would have gotten thrown in jail for smuggling.😉😁

13 hours ago, damiross said:

I know what the list of prohibited items says on the Princess page.  But, it's probably up to security to interpret the rules.

Princess says no knives with a blade of 2.5 inches.  The Gerber Dime's blade length is 1.38 inches.

Has anyone had any problem getting the Dime on board?  Although the blade length is less than 2.5 inches, I'm just wondering if security might consider the length of the blade plus the length of the tool's body to exceed the maximum length.

Impossible to predict what might happen.  One time we had a corkscrew confiscated by the shore personnel that we got on the ship.  

Guest Snaxmuppet
25 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Just curious... why would anyone need this onboard? 

I take my Gerber everywhere. It is a general purpose tool to help fix anything. I also take a roll of Duck Tape. Great for stopping that rattling door at night until you can get maintenance to fix it in the morning.

42 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

It works really well to open their baby food jars.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

It works really well to open their baby food jars.

🤣 Definitely don't need it then and, in about 40 cruises, have never had a rattling door either 😏

I've taken a Swiss Army knife on over 25 cruises.  It's always in my checked luggage and I've never had it questioned or removed at all.

Guest Snaxmuppet
41 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

🤣 Definitely don't need it then and, in about 40 cruises, have never had a rattling door either 😏

Lucky you. When it happens you will wish you had some tape. The first time it happened to me I had to put up with it for several nights before it was fixed. Since then I have brought tape and it hasn't happened again.

You don't want to take tape then that is your choice but IMO it is a good idea. It weighs nothing and might give me a good night's sleep.

As for not needing a multi-tool... most people live happily without one so no, I don't think I need it. But it is sure handy when I do.

2 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

I started carrying either a multi-tool or a Swiss Army Knife all the time a few months ago.  I don't use them all the time but it is nice to have when I do need a pair of pliers, scissors, screwdriver, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GHCruiser7 said:

DUCT Tape!

I take it this is in response to the use of the term "Duck Tape". The original item actually was named Duck Tape for the fact that it was made of "canvas duck" cloth. The more modern term Duct Tape is a weird misnomer as the tape is not rated as something to actually use for duct work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
51 minutes ago, GHCruiser7 said:

DUCT Tape!

No... DUCK TAPE! It is the original and way better than generic duct tape... whatever that is 🙂 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

No... DUCK TAPE! It is the original and way better than generic duct tape... whatever that is 🙂 

For taping ducks together I suppose.🤔 "Duck" is a brand of duct tape, that was never , nor good, for repairing ductwork.  "Duck" is an original maker of cloth, adhesive, general purpose tape now, and then, known as duct tape.  Research is our friend but whatever. 😉

Edited by GHCruiser7

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 hours ago, GHCruiser7 said:

For taping ducks together I suppose.🤔 "Duck" is a brand of duct tape, that was never , nor good, for repairing ductwork.  "Duck" is an original maker of cloth, adhesive, general purpose tape now, and then, known as duct tape.  Research is our friend but whatever. 😉

This is funny. Who cares what it is called. I am taking it. It has proven very useful in the past. 🙂 

BTW I have better things to do with my valuable time than research the history of duck/duct tape thank you very much 🙂 

16 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

This is funny. Who cares what it is called. I am taking it. It has proven very useful in the past. 🙂 

BTW I have better things to do with my valuable time than research the history of duck/duct tape thank you very much 🙂 

I can't think of a better use of my time than learning about things.  Really helps in trivia contests.

• Like 1