First time Saga cruiser. Chauffeur service question.

Fox trotter

One thing I don't understand. You get off the ship at, say, 9.30 for the 3 hr trip home. The other passengers need a loo stop after a couple of hours. Fair enough. But do they really need to spend 45 minutes having a cup of tea, a faceful of food and a wander round the retail outlets? They've only just had breakfast for crying out loud. 

L'enfer c'est Les autres

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

One thing I don't understand. You get off the ship at, say, 9.30 for the 3 hr trip home. The other passengers need a loo stop after a couple of hours. Fair enough. But do they really need to spend 45 minutes having a cup of tea, a faceful of food and a wander round the retail outlets? They've only just had breakfast for crying out loud. 

L'enfer c'est Les autres

Did this happen to you , I  see your signature doesn't include Saga 

2 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Did this happen to you , I  see your signature doesn't include Saga 

Yes it did. Twice! 

Stopped updating my signature a while back. There's a couple of Silversea and Saga cruises to add but haven't got round to it. Good excuse though - laziness. 

16 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

L'enfer c'est Les autres

Absolutely agree  

Some people can't seem to go an hour without "having a coffee" or eating 

You see them on most cruises - half an hour after breakfast they are in the lounge stuffing biscuits and cakes.  Then mid afternoon after a three  course lunch they are ready for tea and cakes. 

I suppose their thinking is "well its all included so we will make the most of it, don't want to miss anything"

• Like 5

On 4/9/2024 at 3:40 PM, Tabicat said:

Our last cruise involved a shared car (people carrier)  We were the first pick up and the driver told us there were two more to pick up on the way, both in the same town.  Well we got to the first one and waited for about twenty minutes before we told the driver he should phone.  He did and was told by the lady inside the house that she would be out shortly.  It was a further fifteen minutes before she emerged and then she made him undo her case as she had forgotten to pack something.  Then we had to pick up the next lady.  Luckily she was ready, but decided en route that she wanted to stop for a "comfort break" 

Next time we will pay the extra for a car to ourselves

Could have been worse...

Colleague of mine, he and his wife booked a villa in Florida with another couple.

Arranged shared taxi to the airport.

Taxi arrived at 2nd couples home.

"Won't be a mo, nearly finished packing...."

then:

"Now - passports....... Just a sec...."

They did, by a miracle, make the flight, and by an even bigger miracle stayed friends.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/1/2024 at 12:23 PM, nosapphire said:

It is the actual road distance (shortest route) - think they use AA routefinder or similar.

The mileage for 2024 is private car up to 75 miles, shared up to 300 miles.

For 2025 the shared transport is nationwide.

Yes, there is an option to pay for the excess mileage - think it is currently £2.50 per mile (just for the extra mileage).

The price has increased per mile now. Going to Portsmouth we book a private car but Dover return is now £654. .So we share