Kroner needed for Norwegian Fjords cruise?

Pretty simple question, really….is there any need to get Kroner from an ATM for a Norwegian Fjords cruise? We have excursions pre-booked in all ports, so all we’d probably need any money for is souvenir shopping and some lunches. Can we get away with just using credit/debit cards?

Strangely enough, in Norway you'll have more difficulty using cash than using cards - a lot of outlets don't accept cash.

But just a few NOK in your pocket isn't a bad thing.

JB 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sstepson said:

all we’d probably need any money for is souvenir shopping and some lunches

Shops and restaurants will all take cards. The only caveat is that some smaller vendors and unmanned payment terminals don’t accept magnetic-strip cards, so chip-and-pin or tap-to-pay options are more versatile.

I haven’t carried cash in Norway since before COVID, and even back then I would carry around the same “just in case” 200 NOK note for several months without using it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Arch2000 said:

What about for using restrooms?  Do they charge for restroom use in Norway like in mainland Europe?  Is this all electronic too?

My experience during several Norwegian cruises: yes.  And I never brought cash to Norway. Last year: DH forgot his appointment with his hairdresser and had to look for one in Norway who accepted credit cards: only Norwegian cards accepted and we had to look for an ATM first..... (Yes, I know the alternative: hairdresser on board HAL ships.....).

On 4/2/2024 at 9:27 PM, Arch2000 said:

What about for using restrooms?  Do they charge for restroom use in Norway like in mainland Europe?  Is this all electronic too?

Some public-space restrooms are paid, and most of them use small chip-based card devices. There used to be a few coin-based systems, but since locals don’t carry any cash, most of those have been replaced.

Nearly all cafes have a toilet facility, so as a backup, you could always buy a drink or snack and use those.

• Like 1