Why I Will Never Book With Windstar Again - Tahiti

While the Olympics are super important for the athletes the "volume" is miniscule as compared to the Ironman or an F1 race.  There are only 40 some odd surfers competing.  It takes approximately 1.5-2 hours to get to Teahupoo from Papeete.  I don't think there will be much impact from the Olympics in Papeete and probably even less of an impact on other islands.

The location of this event has been known for years.  To cancel a cruise, probably to rent out the ship as a floating hotel, 3 months prior to the sailing is totally inappropriate.

1 hour ago, FlightMedic555 said:

While the Olympics are super important for the athletes the "volume" is miniscule as compared to the Ironman or an F1 race.  There are only 40 some odd surfers competing.  It takes approximately 1.5-2 hours to get to Teahupoo from Papeete.  I don't think there will be much impact from the Olympics in Papeete and probably even less of an impact on other islands.

The location of this event has been known for years.  To cancel a cruise, probably to rent out the ship as a floating hotel, 3 months prior to the sailing is totally inappropriate.

1 hour ago, FlightMedic555 said:

Good research. So close in date, I agree with you. It is inappropriate. As far as airlines and  distance we are not talking Caribbean, it is in the middle of the Pacific not easy to get to.  I am sorry you will not get to experience all of WS positives.  Whatever you decide I wish you the best. 

This Surfing Olympics subthread started with speculation in post #17, and no one has provided any substantiation that Windstar is doing this.  It may be true, but please keep in mind that so far it is not known to be true.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This Surfing Olympics subthread started with speculation in post #17, and no one has provided any substantiation that Windstar is doing this.  It may be true, but please keep in mind that so far it is not known to be true.

You are right, it simply made sense, because canceling 3 months out for a charter made no sense. I love WS 29 cruises and I put myself in their place: it will cost these folks more, Tahiti is difficult to get to certainly harder than Europe or the Caribbean, they looked forward to it, made plans, made reservations, took vacation time, they need some compassion here.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

True and while the other ship being used for accomodations has been reported in many news sources, there has been no mention of Windstar providing a ship. 

In a letter WS sent to travel agents they identify that these sailings are not available for "public bookings" and will "enhance the image" of WS.  I take the "enhance the image" to potentially mean being booked as a floating hotel for the Olympics.  I clearly could be incorrect.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:53 AM, FlightMedic555 said:

Completely understand your sentiment, and I'd be very, very upset also.  Just trying to offer something to lower your frustration from a 10 to maybe a 7.  This situation certainly doesn't look favorably to WS.  With that said, if I had my pick, I'd rather cruise there without the Olympics.  TV, support crew, marketing activities - in general things I'd rather not experience in Tahiti.  Situation still sucks though.  

7 hours ago, FlightMedic555 said:

In a letter WS sent to travel agents they identify that these sailings are not available for "public bookings" and will "enhance the image" of WS.  I take the "enhance the image" to potentially mean being booked as a floating hotel for the Olympics.  I clearly could be incorrect.

Are you still going to go to FP and do a land-based vacation.  If you go to the Pacific Islands board on Cruise Critic, there are some very knowledgeable people who can give you some suggestions for land based travel.

We have only been to the islands once so far but did do some land-based stay besides the cruise.  We are again booked for next year and plan to spend another week on our own.

There are some great VRBO and AirbNB options as well as wonderful resorts.  Driving is also pretty easy for us USA based tourists.

Please come back and update us on what you plan to do about going to FP.

This is our 10th trip to FP.  We have rebooked on the Paul Gauguin for 7/27 as we don’t have to change any flights. We have stayed at most island (Tikeheau, Rangiroa, Vahine, Le Taha’a, Conrad, etc) pre and lost for our 8 prior cruises. We did only 1 solid land based trip 2 years ago. 

TripAdvisor also has tons of info.