Diamond Member and Eating at Hola

MsTabbyKats

I know we're entitled to eat at Ocean Cay or Butchers Cut....but I've checke their menus, and just not interested.  In addition...we are in YC.  However, can I use this benefit to eat at Hola (yes...I am aware that anyone can get "all you can eat" for $18)?  If allowed, dinner only, or any time of the day?

I think you can eat at Hola!, but I don't think you can do the all you can eat option.

That said, my GF and I are not fans of Hola!, as we don't consider it to be very authentic.  We live in San Diego not too far from the Mexico border, so perhaps we are just Mexican food snobs.  So I'd personally recommend Butchers Cut with that benefit, but of course, it's your call.

43 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I think you can eat at Hola!, but I don't think you can do the all you can eat option.

That said, my GF and I are not fans of Hola!, as we don't consider it to be very authentic.  We live in San Diego not too far from the Mexico border, so perhaps we are just Mexican food snobs.  So I'd personally recommend Butchers Cut with that benefit, but of course, it's your call.

LOL....I live, literally, on the bordenline of the Upper East Side and Spanish Harlem (NYC).  Footsteps from my door I have authentic (nobody speaks English authentic) Puerto Rican, Mexican, Peruvian, Dominincan etc...restaurants.   I don't even like going a few blocks south (to the Upper East Side) for these cuisines.  I call them "Mexican etc food for tourists".

The issue is I don't like "fine dining".  I'm more of a pizza girl...so worst case scenario would be I order a "Taco Italian Syle"...hate it...then get my pizza.

38 minutes ago, Tierun said:

Yes you can do Hola, and Kaito sushi or teppanyaki.

Thanks!

See reply above....I can take the subway anywhere and in just minutes have authentic cuisine.  However, I think we'll give Teppanyaki a try.  I have never done one of those...might be an interesting experience (and I can always get pizza)!

15 hours ago, Tierun said:

Yes you can do Hola, and Kaito sushi or teppanyaki.

They have always said "no" on teppanyaki to me.  Sushi and the Kaito restaurant, yes.  No teppanyaki for me.

1 hour ago, Selion said:

They have always said "no" on teppanyaki to me.  Sushi and the Kaito restaurant, yes.  No teppanyaki for me.

Oy...I really don't like sushi...  😞

On the Mera...the restaurant is named Kaito Teppanyaki.  If it's "no"...I'm just as happy with unlimited pizza for 11 days.

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Oy...I really don't like sushi...  😞

On the Mera...the restaurant is named Kaito Teppanyaki.  If it's "no"...I'm just as happy with unlimited pizza for 11 days.

It's called that on Meraviglia, but the Diamond dinner is not good for sitting at the Teppanyaki table or having a teppanyaki meal. It is good for the Kaito sampler, which is soup, salad, and sushi/tempura, and ice cream.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

LOL....I live, literally, on the bordenline of the Upper East Side and Spanish Harlem (NYC).  Footsteps from my door I have authentic (nobody speaks English authentic) Puerto Rican, Mexican, Peruvian, Dominincan etc...restaurants.   I don't even like going a few blocks south (to the Upper East Side) for these cuisines.  I call them "Mexican etc food for tourists".

The issue is I don't like "fine dining".  I'm more of a pizza girl...so worst case scenario would be I order a "Taco Italian Syle"...hate it...then get my pizza.

I've never lived in NYC, but I've spent months there doing sales training and managerial training for a big Wall Street firm, working out of 2 World Trade Center (South Tower) and staying in either Midtown or in the Financial District on lower Manhattan.  

While undeniably there's a lot of great food in NYC, I've never found the kind of authentic Mexican food that you can find every few blocks here in San Diego, often within walking distance.  I think I have at least 6-8 very good Mexican restaurants within 1 to 1.5 miles.

I'm sure they blow San Diego out of the water for most of the ethnic foods that you've mentioned, but great authentic Mexican?  I'm sure you can find it, as you can find anything in NYC, but it's different for sure.

Edited by Stockjock

Last month on Seashore the Diamond meal could not be used at the Sushi (conveyor belt) restaurant or Teppanyaki.  As we are not fans of the Ocean Cay restaurant and I was once given an item with an allergen at Hola (long story but it involved the ship medic and YC Director after the fact) we dined at Butcher's.  Hola is a one and done for us!

7 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I've never lived in NYC, but I've spent months there doing sales training and managerial training for a big Wall Street firm.  While undeniably there's a lot of great food in NYC, I've never found the kind of authentic Mexican food that you can find every few blocks here in San Diego, often within walking distance.  I think I have at least 6-8 very good Mexican restaurants within 1 to 1.5 miles.

I'm sure they blow San Diego out of the water for most of the ethnic foods that you've mentioned, but great authentic Mexican?  I'm sure you can find it, as you can find anything in NYC, but it's different for 

In general...our "not for tourists" Mexican restaurants have servers that don't speak English, don't serve tacos etc...and spice it up...generally about 116th Street.   I won't say more....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

In general...our "not for tourists" Mexican restaurants have servers that don't speak English, don't serve tacos etc...and spice it up...generally about 116th Street.   I won't say more....

I lived on115'th St between 1'st Ave and Pleasent Ave. when i was an infant back in the early 1950's. Used to be Little Italy back then. 

19 minutes ago, nferr said:

I lived on115'th St between 1'st Ave and Pleasent Ave. when i was an infant back in the early 1950's. Used to be Little Italy back then. 

Yes. .... home of the famous Rao's.  Some of the homes there still look like Italian villas with marble in the gardens. We used to go up there a lot. 

22 hours ago, Selion said:

I was wrong. We paid for Kaito and use diamond dinner for butchers cut.