I already tried this on the ports boards....

I am looking for information on specifically NCL excursion in Victoria BC for tea at the Fairmont Empress.  Many on the port board talked about the experience from not being on an exursion.  I'm trying to find out what the experience is on the excursion.  Is it a skimpy tea or a full tea experience?  The excursion info says iced tea, so I would like to know if it's been altered in other ways from their regular afternoon tea experience.  The excursion is in the evening - after the Empress offers afternoon tea.  Can anyone who has done this excursion through NCL post their experience please?

14 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

I am looking for information on specifically NCL excursion in Victoria BC for tea at the Fairmont Empress.  Many on the port board talked about the experience from not being on an exursion.  I'm trying to find out what the experience is on the excursion.  Is it a skimpy tea or a full tea experience?  The excursion info says iced tea, so I would like to know if it's been altered in other ways from their regular afternoon tea experience.  The excursion is in the evening - after the Empress offers afternoon tea.  Can anyone who has done this excursion through NCL post their experience please?

Could you contact the hotel and ask them directly? There should be someone on the staff who is familiar with what they offer as a group "excursion" and how that does or does not differ from their typical tea offering.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, littlegit said:

The Fairmont Empress does have a lovely afternoon tea. https://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/dining/tea-at-the-empress/  It is only about 4 km to the Empress so it would be an inexpensive cab ride. If the Empress charges $95CAD that is about $70USD.

Yes, that's the info I got from the port board.  What I'm asking is what is the tea experience from the NCL excursion.  They normally only have afternoon tea until 4pm.  The ship doesn't dock until 6:30.  So do they open for tea on ship days or is this just for cruise passengers on an excursion and how does the food differ from the regular afternoon tea?

Just now, Pitzel said:

Could you contact the hotel and ask them directly? There should be someone on the staff who is familiar with what they offer as a group "excursion" and how that does or does not differ from their typical tea offering.

I might end up doing that but I would have preferred to get a personal observation.

12 minutes ago, littlegit said:

I can phone the Empress for you if you have a date and specific questions.

That would be very helpful.  We will be on the Norwegian Sun and in Victoria on 9/17.  Thanks for your help.

I called the Empress hotel and the "tea" lady said she doesn't know anything about a tea on September 17 evening so she was unable to give me any information.  She said they only have teas in the afternoon. Sorry I couldn't find out any details for you.

• Like 1

I think your arrival time in Victoria on the 17th is 7:30pm according to the Victoria Harbour Authority website and also the NCL website.  I would imagine that this is a package exclusive to NCL especially since the Sun is the only ship docking that day.  It's possible it will be served in the lobby where the afternoon high tea is served.  However it could also be in one of their event rooms.  

Regrettably, since your arrival time is so late most,  if not all,  of the traditional places for tea are closed.  If you really want to enjoy the Empress why not taxi or take a pedicab from the pier?  Enjoy a drink or even possibly a pot of tea in the Q Bar which has a wonderful view of the Inner Harbour.

BTW...it is walkable from the dock to the hotel.  Around 30 minutes if you follow the waterfront.

I am on the Sun in July. I was researching it as well. I think it is a different menu. Looking at the things they said could be available none are on the tea menu. I found pics of “tea to go” which includes iced tea on their website, I’m afraid it might be something closer to that than the full tea experience. 

On 4/7/2024 at 6:03 PM, bonvoyagie said:

in reading the NCL description of the tour it flat out says iced teas and savory treats that are very different from the afternoon tea offerings.

Yes, this is what concerns me.

On 4/5/2024 at 3:59 PM, lepidoptera said:

I am on the Sun in July. I was researching it as well. I think it is a different menu. Looking at the things they said could be available none are on the tea menu. I found pics of “tea to go” which includes iced tea on their website, I’m afraid it might be something closer to that than the full tea experience. 

This is what I thought as well and why I cam to ask specifically on the NCL board.

On 4/5/2024 at 2:19 PM, TashaB said:

I think your arrival time in Victoria on the 17th is 7:30pm according to the Victoria Harbour Authority website and also the NCL website.  I would imagine that this is a package exclusive to NCL especially since the Sun is the only ship docking that day.  It's possible it will be served in the lobby where the afternoon high tea is served.  However it could also be in one of their event rooms.  

Regrettably, since your arrival time is so late most,  if not all,  of the traditional places for tea are closed.  If you really want to enjoy the Empress why not taxi or take a pedicab from the pier?  Enjoy a drink or even possibly a pot of tea in the Q Bar which has a wonderful view of the Inner Harbour.

BTW...it is walkable from the dock to the hotel.  Around 30 minutes if you follow the waterfront.

As far as I can see, The Empress doesn't serve high tea, which is in the evening and has savory pieces as well as the sweets (an evening meal, tea style, and at a table instead of off a coffee table).  I'm good with either experience but I want it to be the full experience - especially for the price.  I brew my own tea all the time, so it's not really about just the tea part.  If the full tea experience isn't available, then I'll just go find a beaver tail, call it good and head back to the ship.

• 2 months later...

Now that AK cruises are in full swing, has anyone done this excursion this season?  I would love a report of where it was served, how and what was served.

We went to the Empress but not for their tea. We went into the bar area and had drinks.

We took a cab there and a bus to a bus stop a short walk to the pier. It was very elegant and relaxing.

• Like 1

I’ve been hoping to find the same info from someone who’s actually TAKEN this excursion.  We’re on the Sun from 8/30-9/9, in Victoria on the 8th.  We too arrive pretty late and have that late tea available to us.  

After reading all the posts here, I’m leaning toward a “pass” on this excursion.  I couldn’t find anything locally to book either.  Victoria looks like a big bust for us!  I think a walk around the harbor, stop in for some coffee somewhere and then back to the ship.  MAYBE walk to the Empress or take a cab, but that would be a spur of the moment decision.

Too bad we get in so late!!! 😕

3 hours ago, FitCoach said:

This is such a sad situation with mist NCL port stops in Victoria - vast majority arrive after 6pm just long enough to satisfy the Jones Act foreign port requirement. 

my big “want to” here is a daytime visit to Butchart Gardens.

I’d love to do an Alaskan cruise with a full day in Victoria but guess i need to use a different cruise line or make it a pre/post cruise extension.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

This is such a sad situation with mist NCL port stops in Victoria - vast majority arrive after 6pm just long enough to satisfy the Jones Act foreign port requirement. 

my big “want to” here is a daytime visit to Butchart Gardens.

I’d love to do an Alaskan cruise with a full day in Victoria but guess i need to use a different cruise line or make it a pre/post cruise extension.

If you go in June/July, it stays light much later.  I can't remember how late the gardens are open at that time of year.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FitCoach said:

I’ve been hoping to find the same info from someone who’s actually TAKEN this excursion.  We’re on the Sun from 8/30-9/9, in Victoria on the 8th.  We too arrive pretty late and have that late tea available to us.  

After reading all the posts here, I’m leaning toward a “pass” on this excursion.  I couldn’t find anything locally to book either.  Victoria looks like a big bust for us!  I think a walk around the harbor, stop in for some coffee somewhere and then back to the ship.  MAYBE walk to the Empress or take a cab, but that would be a spur of the moment decision.

We are on the cruise right after you.  I was thinking pass as well, which is sad because initially, I thought this would be great fun.

We just stayed in Victoria for a couple nights last week (part of a land-based trip, not cruise). It's a very pretty port area, but it's really a dead zone for activities. You can walk along the coastline, which is lovely.

In general, manage expectations, though. I did notice that some places had unusually late closings, plus lots of late evening activity downtown, but I don't know if that extends into Sept. Ex: the Royal BC was open until 10:30pm on Fri. 

Unless a 30min walk each way into the downtown area is ok for your party, I'd book a tour of some sort, personally, as a flood of people off a large ship are not all going to find rides into town easily; the flow of people was remarkable to see from the bus we were on at one point, and I was very curious where they all planned to go. I'm not sure I ever saw a regular taxi; lots of buses, plus pedicabs and buggies downtown. 

FWIW, we did not plan on tea, as the allergy ratings were not optimistic for the Empress. Some tour guides suggested other local alternatives to the Empress, but evening hours are likely dicey.

FWIW, will be cruising Alaska at the end of August, not NCL however ... 10 nights out of Vancouver with Victoria being the last stop on the return.  Docking/arrival is 13:00 and all abroad is 21:30 for 22:00 to Vancouver for early morning disembarkation.  Not subject to PVSA, is my understanding and that ship pax can arrange to disembark with luggage and stay in Victoria, if they choose to & plan ahead with Cunard's approval.   

We also looked at the Sun's Alaska itinerary / option out of Seattle, WA ... 

With early Sunday afternoon arrival, multiple shorex options are available, including several with high tea experience included.  FYI only - this is one of them - 

City Drive & Tea at Pendray Inn

• 124.20 USD for adult
  • 0 USD for infant
  • 59.40 USD for children
  • Port Victoria, BC, Canad
  • Duration - 2.5 Hours
  • Activity level - low

Take a city drive through some of Victoria’s most exclusive neighbourhoods, Uplands and Oak Bay. Along the way, admire the stunning scenic views of Mount Baker and the Gulf and San Juan Islands from Victoria’s Marine Drive. A photograph stop will be made at Mt Tolmie to enjoy panoramic views of Victoria and its surrounding sea and mountain panoramas. In downtown Victoria's Inner Harbour area, you’ll pass by Chinatown and the magnificent Legislature building. One of Victoria’s iconic landmarks is the Pendray Inn and Tea House. This Victorian era manor captures the essence of Old Victoria's elegance, sophistication and charm. Built in 1890, it stands as one of the city's oldest buildings and today serves as a charming boutique hotel. Here, you’ll savour a selection of finger sandwiches, sumptuous sweet treats, and scones served with cream and jam, all accompanied by a welcome cup of tea.

This excursion will operate by coach. The dress code at Pendray Inn is smart casual. Ripped jeans, short shorts, cut off trousers, beach wear, flip flops or baseball caps are not permitted. For the comfort and consideration of all diners, the hotel requests that mobile phones are switched off during tea. The tea service is not exclusive to Cunard.

• Like 1