Options in Roatan at the Pier?

BridgeMates

Hi, we have a large family group on the Harmony of the Seas in June.

Can't seem to get everyone to pick something to do in Roatan.

One couple just wants to go to the beach for a couple hours.

Are there options you can make at the pier after you get off the ship?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I would absolutely not wait until the day of.   We have been going to Roatan for 15 years(2-3 times a year).  Ronystours is a perfect option.  Choose the freestyle option.   You can configure your day any way you like for 1/2 the price of a so excursion.   You will be free to come and go as you please.   Lots of great things to do.   I recommend all I f these: swimming with dolphins at Anthony's Key.  Interacting with large birds, monkeys, and sloths at Mayan Eden.  Snorkeling/amazing beach - West Bay.  South Shore Canopy for a great zip line.  

For example:  Sone could go to Mayan Eden while others swim with the dolphins.  Then  some could get dropped at zipline while others go to the beach.   Then, all could meet at the beach.   They are very closeby.  Just an example.   

Also, with private driver - see something you like - Driver will stop.  Take photos anywhere you like.   I can assure you that Rony and his drivers will make sure you have a great day!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

Ronystours is a perfect option.

We have a tour with him next month and it's the personalization that we are looking forward to. This is actually a re-do from 2019 when we had the same tour planned but couldn't dock in Roatan due to high winds.

Since it's our first time touring the island, we're not interested in sitting on a beach or zipline type stuff. We're going to Manawkie for sloths/monkeys, planning to see some non-touristy stuff (like visiting a school in Rony's hometown to drop off some donations; my wife is a teacher), getting a quick bite of local food wherever our driver recommends (not a long sit down lunch), going to West Bay for shopping and to see the area even though we're not going to actually sit on the beach, etc.

@#1TravelMom Do you have any sites/stops to recommend that aren't in the beach/zipline/snorkeling category?

We hit Roatan in 2012 and have plans to visit again this coming March of 2025.In 2012 we visited a school and a childrens home (Majken Broby) to drop off donations and school supplies. We then went high into the hills for some overlooks, ate some baleadas from a little open air cafe and finished off with a quick West Bay visit. We wanted to see the West Bay beaches, but also were not keen for the crowds in that area.

Next year upon our return we want to do the East end of the island. Interested in Punta Gorda and the Garifuna culture. We also are interested in the brewery on the island, since this was not an option last time. We also were able to hook up with our tour guide of 12 years ago (Juan Carlos of islandertours). 

Posted (edited)

Sorry. I don't have any ideas for non- water,  zipline.  We've stayed in the island for 10 days at a time.  It's known for amazing snorkeling,  clear beaches and wildlife.   There aren't really any "sights" like some islands.   When we cruuse, we spend the day doing mission work on Coxen Hole. We take school supplies and toiletries for a large group of children. You will love the children there.   They are so grateful for anything you give them. 

Edited by #1TravelMom
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 8:51 AM, #1TravelMom said:

Sorry. I don't have any ideas for non- water,  zipline.  We've stayed in the island for 10 days at a time.  It's known for amazing snorkeling,  clear beaches and wildlife.   There aren't really any "sights" like some islands.   When we cruuse, we spend the day doing mission work on Coxen Hole. We take school supplies and toiletries for a large group of children. You will love the children there.   They are so grateful for anything you give them. 

Wildlife?   There is very little native wildlife on the island. There are zoo type places but monkey and sloth are not natives. Oh maybe you mean sea creatures. Definitely heaps of that.  😁

True - "Wildlife" may not the correct term.   Even if the monkeys and sloths are not native, at Mayan Eden, they are not caged.   Some animals are in cages, but lots of them just roam free. 

15 hours ago, #1TravelMom said:

True - "Wildlife" may not the correct term.   Even if the monkeys and sloths are not native, at Mayan Eden, they are not caged.   Some animals are in cages, but lots of them just roam free. 

Thanks, that is helpful.