Vista Mini-Review

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

FeliciaLee was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

My husband and I were on the Bermuda March 16th, 2024 cruise. It was awesome. Maybe not as great as our other two Oceania cruises, but no  complaints.

This was our first time on one of the newer ships. We liked Vista, thin walls and all. But we also love the small ships. Probably we love the small ships even more, due to the overwhelming, cozy feel of community.

Aquamar as an eating venue worked out pretty well. While some of the dishes weren't a big hit with us, others were totally awesome. For example, Waves no longer has my second fave: the tuna sandwich, but Aquamar has something very similar. They also have the best smoothie if you are suffering from the dreaded cruise crud:  Immunity. Sometimes they are pretty heavy handed on the cayenne, so watch that carefully if you can't have spicy, spicy spices ;)

My husband still favors Purple Rain.

There have been a lot of comments with regards to Waves changing their menu. Well, the surf and turf is still wonderful, but my husband definitely preferred the filet. I thought the burger was better. Unfortunately, the burgers on the rest of the menu have changed for the worse. They are much thinner and very dry, no matter how you ask them to be cooked. On the plus side: Waves is still fantastic and the best outdoor grill experience on any cruise line we've ever tried. Just a matter of opinion, of course.

A huge, unexpected treat for us was the buffet. We are not buffet people and never thought it on the small ships was anything special at all. So imagine our surprise at the excellent buffet on Vista! While it wasn't always 100%, it was much improved and we ate dinner there twice. The first time, lobster tails were excellent. The second time, well, just say that they were as bad as on the R ships.

The new Baristas was very nice. The space is much improved. In general, perhaps we like the old location better. No complaints, just a coffee addiction that made the old location good for us. But as far as the space and the bakery, wow. We loved it, and we also loved the daily quiches and beignets.

My husband likes to get the lamb lollypops. He orders them every morning at breakfast and has lamb often in the restaurants. What an Oceania exclusive that works for him in most situations! Just one of the many reasons we love Oceania.

We also thought Ember was great. So put us in that smaller category of people who love it. The scallop main was totally awesome.

Toscano on Vista was miles better than our last experience on Insignia. Maybe Insignia was just a one-off. Everything was great, plus we had a front row to the Space X launch in Canaveral. The ship started moving, and we thought we might miss it, but amazingly it launched right in front of the window where we were sitting!

As far as dining in general, on this cruise we had no real misses. Part of that, however, may be due to the fact that this time around we were more used to Oceania, their menus and their stand-out entrees. So we were perhaps able to navigate our meals better.

Although Vista is a much bigger ship, with lots more passengers, they had less trivia than the small ships. What a bummer for us and for our trivia team (we were super into it and very competitive). Two men on our team had never been on Oceania before, and were totally hyped when I told them how much trivia they could expect, only to be disappointed when it didn't seem to pan out the way it does on the small ships.

Overall, once again we had a great cruise. Not as great as our previous two, but it is completely a matter of subjectivity. Vista couldn't be any more beautiful. The crew was warm and friendly and we saw lots of familiar faces. The passengers were friendly and awesome as well. We just missed that small ship warm and cozy feeling. 

Our next cruise is also on Vista, but maybe we'll be able to sneak in a small ship cruise here and there in the future. No matter which ship we sail, it seems like we are always pleased with Oceania and haven't had that feeling since we were on Crystal back in 2019.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, FeliciaLee said:

We also thought Ember was great. So put us in that smaller category of people who love it. The scallop main was totally awesome.

Also in Ember, if you're a chocoholic, there's a triple chocolate brownie that was, also, awesome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, FeliciaLee said:

... We also thought Ember was great. So put us in that smaller category of people who love it....

The issue isn't that adding Ember couldn't be great for some, but rather what it replaced (Jacques) and how the combination of Aquamar & Ember now relate to what is available on the O-class ships. Thus, as you point out, they removed something you liked from Waves but now have something similar to it in Aquamar. So that is a NET gain of ZERO (or slight loss, if the older item is slightly more enjoyable). What does Ember get you on Vista that you couldn't already get in Polo & Toscana & Waves & TC on Riviera? The loss is likely the entire menu of Jacques and its setting. O describes Ember as a sophisticated setting for classic American cuisine, with tablecloths in their photographs. I don't want to pay $350-500 per couple per day to eat that kind of food in that kind of setting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MEFIowa said: O describes Ember as a sophisticated setting for classic American cuisine, with tablecloths in their photographs. I don't want to pay $350-500 per couple per day to eat that kind of food in that kind of setting. 

I really think, from what you are saying, that Oceania is just not a ‘fit’ for you anymore!

Maybe you should try and find a line, on which you would want to spend $350-500 per couple per day, for superior food, service etc.

You are actually paying bottom dollar for a ‘premium’ product and I wish you luck in finding better at your price point.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Vallesan said:

I really think, from what you are saying, that Oceania is just not a ‘fit’ for you anymore!

Maybe you should try and find a line, on which you would want to spend $350-500 per couple per day, for superior food, service etc.

You are actually paying bottom dollar for a ‘premium’ product and I wish you luck in finding better at your price point.

Also, never has sailed on Vista nor eaten in Ember or Aquamar so opinions are not based on first hand experience but perceived .....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

MEFiowa, I am wondering how you are able to cruise on O at 350-500 per day per couple. The prices I am seeing are more $350-500 per person per day. Any info would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, jackdeb said:

I am wondering how you are able to cruise on O at 350-500 per day per couple. The prices I am seeing are more $350-500 per person per day....

It is called sales.

Riviera A4 12/2021: $210 + $210 = $420 per couple per day.

Sirena B2 11/2022: $240 + $240 = $480

Riviera A3 10/2023: $185 + $185 = $370

Riviera B3 11/2023: $175 + $175 = $350

We did the B2B on Riviera in 2023 from the Extraordinary Saving Sale in early 2023. The Riviera in 2021 off the 2021 Presidents' Day Sale. And we booked Sirena for 11/2022 while on Riviera in 12/2021 for the discount.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

I really think, from what you are saying, that Oceania is just not a ‘fit’ for you anymore! Maybe you should try and find a line, on which you would want to spend $350-500 per couple per day, for superior food, service etc. You are actually paying bottom dollar for a ‘premium’ product and I wish you luck in finding better at your price point.

I think you're seriously confused on a host of issues.

First, we have 22 nights booked on Sirena 9-10/2024. So, no problem with O being a "fit" for us. We've already spent 40 nights on O ships since 12/2021.

Second, we book on sales and stay in cabins G-A only. No PHs or above. O sets the prices, not me. Or you. Or any TAs. Many people can stay in G-C cabins, to save money. We've got an F and a C1 in the Baltic on Sirena, unless some sale changes that!

Third, you seem to think Vista is the be-all and end-all of O ships. Sorry, she's just one newer ship. With her own pluses and minuses.

Fourth, "premium product" was Jacques, not Ember. You seem confused about fine dining and sophisticated setting. Ember is a cost-cutting measure. Simple as that. Put lipstick on a porcine....

2 minutes ago, jackdeb said:

Good for you, if you are ready to cruise when those prices apply that is great, timing is everything. More power to you.

And TIMING is key often to sales pricing. We sailed the Med from 10/30-11/19, 2023. Some consider this "off season". BUT, the weather was perfect. Rain was not an issue. And the temperatures were fantastic. It was 65 deg F in Barcelona around 11/20/23. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and sandals. The locals had winter coats and stocking caps on! I'm from Iowa. 65 deg F is perfect weather. And guess what? HARDLY any serious crowds at the Acropolis, Rome, Venice, etc. compared to the crowded summer months. So a win-win-win-win. Great temp, great weather, reduced crowds, AND cheap fare.

• Like 3

Wow, you really hit it perfect! In contrast, my husband and I had such bad weather in the Med in mid-October that we vowed never to cruise the Med beyond early October. May and September being ideal. 

It seems like these days the weather is even more of a crapshoot than it used to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jackdeb said:

I am wondering how you are able to cruise on O at 350-500 per day per couple. The prices I am seeing are more $350-500 per person per day....

And O released the 2024 cruise itineraries a long time ago. Booked a G on Sirena May 2022 for the 10 night Sept 2024 Baltic. $2499 PP. Pre-SM and pre-future price increases.

What happened 2-3 years ago is not relevant to today's pricing and any future sales....find an itinerary, ship and cabin that fits your specific criteria and then watch for any future sales that may improve your pricing..many can quote pricing from years ago to prove a point that no longer matters

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

O describes Ember as a sophisticated setting for classic American cuisine, with tablecloths in their photographs. I don't want to pay $350-500 per couple per day to eat that kind of food in that kind of setting. 

I've not eaten in Ember either (though im booked in on June 2 so I'll let you know).... However I can't understand your obsession with tablecloths as a judgement of quality. I've eaten at amazing restaurants where we've paid over $300 per couple for one meal (let alone board and lodging) that ..horrors .. don't have tablecloths.. A tablecloth doesn't ensure quality . 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, daydreamer62 said:

I've not eaten in Ember either (though im booked in on June 2 so I'll let you know).... However I can't understand your obsession with tablecloths as a judgement of quality. I've eaten at amazing restaurants where we've paid over $300 per couple for one meal (let alone board and lodging) that ..horrors .. don't have tablecloths.. A tablecloth doesn't ensure quality . 

Take the time to READ what O published on Ember, including the pictures. And compare to Jacques. Then get back to us. O made sure to put tablecloths in the pictures. And other people on various threads have discussed the presence or absence of same.

The Finest Cuisine at Sea® & Culinary Cruises - Oceania Cruises

This is O's own description of Ember:

"EMBER

Elegant American Traditions

When the fuel of classic American dishes meets the fire of culinary masters in a sophisticated setting reminiscent of a Napa or Sonoma tasting room, Ember is the glorious result." 

Not sure why it is so hard for the Vista cheerleaders to accept a simple fact: Ember is a cost-cutting measure.

Still WAITING for even a semi-objective discussion of what VISTA brings that RIVIERA doesn't! Since Ember replaced Jacques and Waves' menu seems to have been dined-down with Aquamar trying to replace some of it.

Posted (edited)

Once again I just would never judge a restaurant based on their use of tablecloths. There are 3 Michelin star restaurants that don't have tablecloths.. I've also never eaten at Jacques so I can't judge which I would prefer but I tend not to prefer the old style french heavy on the sauces type of cuisine so I may not have preferred it anyway based on the menus I've seen ... but I'm not one to judge anything that I haven't experienced myself... 

It seems to me you have a preference for a style of restaurant that perhaps others might feel is démodé but that's fine too. It's your preference.. It may not be (and clearly isn't) the opinion of others. 

Oh and I'm not a Vista cheerleader.. I've never been on it.. I don't judge something before I've experienced it..as I said. 

Edited by daydreamer62
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, jackdeb said:

MEFiowa, I am wondering how you are able to cruise on O at 350-500 per day per couple. The prices I am seeing are more $350-500 per person per day. Any info would be appreciated.

You did have to go and say Beetlejuice 3 times, didn't you? 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, FeliciaLee said:

Our next cruise is also on Vista, but maybe we'll be able to sneak in a small ship cruise here and there in the future. No matter which ship we sail, it seems like we are always pleased with Oceania and haven't had that feeling since we were on Crystal back in 2019.

Thanks for sharing your perspective.  It does indeed sound like you've found a great fit for you in sailing on O.  I hope to run into you some time on a future cruise.  Next up for us is a June/July sailing on Vista.  That will be our 23rd O sailing and our first aboard Vista.  

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Take the time to READ what O published on Ember, including the pictures. And compare to Jacques. Then get back to us. O made sure to put tablecloths in the pictures. And other people on various threads have discussed the presence or absence of same.

This is O's own description of Ember:

"EMBER

When the fuel of classic American dishes meets the fire of culinary masters in a sophisticated setting reminiscent of a Napa or Sonoma tasting room, Ember is the glorious result." 

Not sure why it is so hard for the Vista cheerleaders to accept a simple fact: Ember is a cost-cutting measure.

Still WAITING for even a semi-objective discussion of what VISTA brings that RIVIERA doesn't! Since Ember replaced Jacques and Waves' menu seems to have been dined-down with Aquamar trying to replace some of it.

Says someone who has never been on Vista nor eaten at Ember or Aquamar.....why is it so hard for you to accept the simple fact that many of those that have actually sailed on Vista and eaten at Ember, Aquamar and Waves have a totally different opinion?  Apparently your opinion is more valid than theirs....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed Ember. Of course, I missed Jacques. I like that there are differences among the fleet of ships. Our favorite ship is Marina.  I will be on Marina in May.  Looking forward to Jacques. Perhaps onboard I will miss Ember.  I enjoy all of the dining venues.  Food on Oceania is superb.  I am on Viking now.  Viking has good food.  However, Viking food offerings aren’t as good as Oceania. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jackdeb said:

If you followed his previous posts it was already explained multiple times.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Obviously, a tablecloth isn’t an indicator of the quality anymore. We’re in Paris right now prior to our cruise around the British Isles. We’ve already dined in the several restaurants, Michelin star included. Today was the one without the tablecloth but with the menu changing everyday based on the fresh products available - the best meal of the trip so far. The food on the Oceania ships is good but is in a different category, and the tablecloth isn’t something that is most important.

Edited by osandomir
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

This is O's own description of 

"EMBER

I have lived in Sonoma County for 45 years. Napa is 30 minutes away. Over the years, we have visited countless tasting rooms (we love good wine), in both counties. Here, tasting rooms are perceived to be wine tasting rooms. Restaurants are not called tasting rooms. So it seems to be a bit of a play on words here, or written by someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about. Or both. Wine tasting rooms may, or may not have food. Some offer amazing wine/food pairings. But in general, ‘tasting rooms’ are absolutely associated with going to wineries. 
If the writer was referring to restaurants here, they run the spectrum from casual, to Michelin star.  Do most of the ‘fine dining’ restaurants here offer tablecloths? Yes! I would say that they do. But those are not ‘tasting rooms’.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I think you're seriously confused on a host of issues.

Third, you seem to think Vista is the be-all and end-all of O ships. Sorry, she's just one newer ship. With her own pluses and minuses.

Fourth, "premium product" was Jacques, not Ember. You seem confused about fine dining and sophisticated setting. Ember is a cost-cutting measure. Simple as that. Put lipstick on a porcine....

I’m not sure which of us is confused here!

Firstly, I’ve never sailed on Vista so have no thoughts about her and have certainly not classed her as the ‘be-all and end-all’ of Oceania ships. In fact I’ve not mentioned her at all part from asking a question about flooring.

I have, however sailed way in excess of 100 days on other Oceania ships so am pretty familiar with them.

Secondly, as I’ve never dined in Ember and I have never mentioned it in any post, you must be confusing me with someone else.

When you say I’m confused about ‘fine dining’ and a ‘sophisticated’ setting. I have never mentioned Jaques in any post either because it’s my least favourite of all the speciality restaurants and I certainly don’t see it as a ‘fine’ example of French dining!

However, when you have sailed  on Vista please let us hear your ‘first hand’ reviews.

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 4