Churchill’s Cigar Lounge

*Miss G*

I couldn’t find an answer to this question.  Does anyone know if the smoke from the cigar lounge drifts out to public spaces and, specifically, the rooms on Deck 9 of the Queen Mary 2?  Thank you.

It's not that popular, I've only noticed a very slight smell of smoke on the starboard side of Commodore, and you will get a bigger whiff if you are going out of Commodore down the starboard corridor late in the evening. I notice the cigarette smokers more on Deck 8 Aft but even then it's a habit that dying out, in more ways than one. It's not a problem on Cunard, in my view.

• Thanks 2

Thank you, @Pushpit.  The room I am looking at opens onto the starboard corridor.  I was hoping the lounge would be enclosed with a smoke mediation unit to keep it contained.  For some reason, cigar smoke triggers migraines and I’d like to avoid that.  😄

In your shoes I'd probably want to be 9015 or higher. There are some indoor cabins that look like they are on Starboard, but actually have a dog-leg corridor from the port side. I think they would be OK. There again, the balcony should give easy access to fresh air on that deck.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

In your shoes I'd probably want to be 9015 or higher. There are some indoor cabins that look like they are on Starboard, but actually have a dog-leg corridor from the port side. I think they would be OK. There again, the balcony should give easy access to fresh air on that deck.

Oh, I see what you mean!  Thank you.  That is very helpful!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I couldn’t find an answer to this question.  Does anyone know if the smoke from the cigar lounge drifts out to public spaces and, specifically, the rooms on Deck 9 of the Queen Mary 2?  Thank you.

I have a wealth of experience of suite 9003 starboard side , I've occupied  this particular suite on almost 4/5 occasions ( since the maiden year through to 2018 ) I can confirm there is NO evidence of cigar smoke drifting either into the suite or into pubic spaces.

The reason I will always opt for any of the first three suites on deck 9 ( either Port or starboard) is a best kept secret of those suites is the balcony looks down on to the Teak decking rather than the top of an orange lifeboat , 'occasionally' a pleasant aroma drifts up to the balcony of 9003 from the Spa below.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

I have a wealth of experience of suite 9003 starboard side , I've occupied  this particular suite on almost 4/5 occasions ( since the maiden year through to 2018 ) I can confirm there is NO evidence of cigar smoke drifting either into the suite or into pubic spaces.

The reason I will always opt for any of the first three suites on deck 9 ( either Port or starboard) is a best kept secret of those suites is the balcony looks down on to the Teak decking rather than the top of an orange lifeboat , 'occasionally' a pleasant aroma drifts up to the balcony of 9003 from the Spa below.  

Also, I like those sliding doors to the balcony. Much easier to negotiate with drinks than an ordinary door that wants to close on you.

I've stayed in the forward interior cabins on Deck 9 several times and really like the location.  As Pushpit noted, they're located on a short interior hallway between the starboard & port hallways, so are very quiet since the only people who use that interior hallway are the people in those cabins.  Churchill's doesn't get much use and I've never smelled cigar smoke in those interior cabins. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much, everyone!  Your posts have been very helpful.  I was thinking it must be okay since there are suites right there.  I had been leaning towards an Inside but then I noticed the free upgrade from OV to balcony.  Now I’m thinking I might do that instead.  (I am sailing solo.)  Which means I now have to study which balconies would be my best choice.  I’d better get a move on since I have to book it today.

• Like 1

Last time I was on the boat there were always several people in the lounge, especially in the evening.  I'll let you know in October, but it's a comfortable place for cigar and pipe smoking.  Churchill's has a good smoke processing system, the air is clear and I have not ever smelled smoke outside of the lounge.  Cunard does not allow cigarette smoking in the lounge, a bunch of cigarette smokers would overpower the air filters.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ratflinger said:

Last time I was on the boat there were always several people in the lounge, especially in the evening.  I'll let you know in October, but it's a comfortable place for cigar and pipe smoking.  Churchill's has a good smoke processing system, the air is clear and I have not ever smelled smoke outside of the lounge.  Cunard does not allow cigarette smoking in the lounge, a bunch of cigarette smokers would overpower the air filters.

I invariably smell cigar smoke, wherever I walk past on the way to the Comm. Club.

My wife and I are both very sensative to cigar smoke and have never smelled it in the Commodore Club or in the passageway until one night on a Crossing in May of 2022. It was around 10:30PM (22:30) when we and almost everyone in the Commodore Club noticed the strong smell of cigar smoke. My first though was that someone or something was holding the door open to Curchill's Cigar lounge, so I walked over to see if I could get it closed. When I got there the door was closed and one of the bartenders was also there. He explained that the smoke processing system had gone down but that Maintenance had already been notified. He also informed me that the cigar lounge would be closed until the problem was resolved and that he had asked the two gentalmen in the lounge if they would mind leaving, which they graciously did. The next evening all was back to normal. 

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

We went to the Churchill Cigar Lounge and there was nobody there. Only went so husband could pretend to smoke a pipe in his smoking jacket. Neither of us smoke! (but I think THIS photo was actually in the Commodore)

smoking jacket.jpg

Edited by maggielou362
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

If your husband does not smoke then why does he have a smoking jacket?  I put mine on after dinner on formal nights and head for Churchill's.

Nice jacket by the way.

12 hours ago, ratflinger said:

If your husband does not smoke then why does he have a smoking jacket?

12 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

Because he's a poseur who wants to channel Noel Coward 😁

My vote for Best Posting of the Year

Jack

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ratflinger said:

LOL, being from the US I had to google Mr. Coward

He was a big star in the US between the wars, so I think it may be the result of your youth rather than nationality.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

He was a big star in the US between the wars, so I think it may be the result of your youth rather than nationality.

He got a special Oscar in 1943 for directing the Royal Navy film In Which We Serve, a film which is often credited for moving the USA to offer more support to the Allies during WWII. The film itself was up against Casablanca for Best Picture, but the Academy gave him an Oscar anyway. So not unknown in the USA.

Sir Noel's play Brief Encounter is on the list for Queen Anne from 3 May.