Konningsdam verandah upgrade

We have verandah 7046 on K’dam.  We have given an opportunity to upgrade to higher verandah cabin.  We chose fwd cabin to be close to greenhouse spa and Neptune lounge.  We don’t mind mid ship verandah as long as pax orange vessel is not below or near our cabin.  Any suggestions on verandah cabin recommendations

7 minutes ago, LJanet said:

We have verandah 7046 on K’dam.  We have given an opportunity to upgrade to higher verandah cabin.  We chose fwd cabin to be close to greenhouse spa and Neptune lounge.  We don’t mind mid ship verandah as long as pax orange vessel is not below or near our cabin.  Any suggestions on verandah cabin recommendations

Did you take a look at the deck plans?  We had verandah on 7 (Don't remember the number) but it was more aft.  I don't remember any life boat issues. 

24 minutes ago, LJanet said:

How far is aft view verandah cabin to greenhouse spa.  We can upgrade to aft view on deck 6 or deck 8.

Aft view Verandah is as far as you can get from Greenhouse Spa. The Neptune Lounge won't do you any good in a Verandah. (Also it's not forward.) Did you mean the Crow's Nest?

I would stay with the cabin you carefully chose!

5 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Aft view Verandah is as far as you can get from Greenhouse Spa. The Neptune Lounge won't do you any good in a Verandah. (Also it's not forward.) Did you mean the Crow's Nest?

I would stay with the cabin you carefully chose!

Are we missing out not booking aft view cabins for Alaska cruise. I’ve also read aft view have drawbacks as well.  Engine noise and soot.   Yes, meant crow’s nest lol.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LJanet said:

Are we missing out not booking aft view cabins for Alaska cruise. I’ve also read aft view have drawbacks as well.  Engine noise and soot.   Yes, meant crow’s nest lol.  

We've never encountered soot on an aft balcony. As DH says, we've been up high and down low and any noise has been drowned out by the "waterfall" sound of the wake.

For Alaska we would 1000% take an aft balcony everytime. But you will be the absolute furthest from the Crow's Nest.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LJanet said:

Are we missing out not booking aft view cabins for Alaska cruise. I’ve also read aft view have drawbacks as well.  Engine noise and soot.

Some people [@Crew News for one, and other keen photographers] love them and they normally sell out early, but we like to be near the Crows Nest (to see what is coming, not where we've been). On the K'dam, we enjoyed a mid-ship location, so nothing was more than half-a-ship from our cabin. It's a hike from one end of the ship to the other!

54 minutes ago, LJanet said:

We can upgrade to aft view on deck 6 or deck 8.

If you decide to upgrade, I would recommend deck 6 which is between two other decks of cabins, whereas deck 8 is below the Sea View Pool Deck, where they will drag the lounge-chairs around to clean and arrange in the early hours!

15 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Some people [@Crew News for one, and other keen photographers] love them and they normally sell out early, but we like to be near the Crows Nest (to see what is coming, not where we've been). On the K'dam, we enjoyed a mid-ship location, so nothing was more than half-a-ship from our cabin. It's a hike from one end of the ship to the other!

Posted (edited)

As I have posted on other threads, the pluses for aft-facing staterooms include: 

• 2-minute elevator ride down to the MDR
  • 2-minute ride up to the Lido Market Buffet
  • brief elevator ride up for Room Service hot food delivery
  • no foot traffic past your door
  • able to see and photograph the scenery on both sides of the ship while wearing your pajamas
  • with no wind, time can be spent on your balcony while the ship is moving
  • the soothing sound of the wake makes a restful sleep
  • Glacier Bay can be enjoyed from your balcony, no competition with others for spots at the public deck railings, your own bathroom, your own minibar, and Room Service will deliver to your stateroom

image.jpeg.ff3c05b418786fe8f6b36b98a95dd5e7.jpeg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, LJanet said:
16 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Expand  

Do you mind sharing which midship cabin you enjoyed?  

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, LJanet said:

Do you mind sharing which midship cabin you enjoyed?  

We were in the situation of not cruising since the start of the pandemic, when a long Polynesian trip had been cancelled -- leaving us with a sizable credit that was set to expire at end of 2022... and also we were 44 Mariner Points from 4*, so I puzzled it out that if we booked a suite with HIA and did a B&B, we would make it to 4*, and spend the Future Cruise Credit, just in time. 

We sailed on the 29th of December in Vista Suite 4100. We are booked in the same VS for Hawaii-Tahiti in Feb.'25!

Now, Deck 4 midships is just alongside the Tenders and lifeboats, as far as the regular Verandah cabins, so you would want to look at decks 6 or 7 to be away from the Orange Glow!

ETA: but we are not totally spoiled for regular forward Verandah cabins, which is what we have booked on the Oosterdam and on the Zuiderdam. 

Edited by crystalspin