Sun Princess: Beware deck 17 aft cabins!

We LOVE our deck 17 aft Penthouse Suite except for one thing. The noise from the Suite Sanctuary above between 6:30 and 7:00am every morning. While they don’t take the loungers in at night, there is still some noise as they set up the area for the day. Little scrapes on the ceiling as they adjust the loungers is waking us up. We are able to fall back to sleep but it may be troublesome for many. When we booked this cabin, the images had a hot tub above us so we thought we would be okay. 

Just a warning. 

ps. The balcony is amazing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for reporting.  We were originally assigned deck 17 penthouse suites but switched to deck 15 penthouse suites due to noise concerns from the Sanctuary.

With the large number of loungers in the Sanctuary I guess some noise would be inevitable during setup.

5 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

We LOVE our deck 17 aft Penthouse Suite except for one thing. The noise from the Suite Sanctuary above between 6:30 and 7:00am every morning. While they don’t take the loungers in at night, there is still some noise as they set up the area for the day. Little scrapes on the ceiling as they adjust the loungers is waking us up. We are able to fall back to sleep but it may be troublesome for many. When we booked this cabin, the images had a hot tub above us so we thought we would be okay. 

Just a warning. 

ps. The balcony is amazing!

Did you take pictures by any chance?  Particularly your balcony?  I currently have a booking that's on 17637, so all the way in aft, starboard side.

Also, how was your cruise, ship movement-wise?  Did you notice a lot of movement up that high and all the way back?

Thanks!!

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Thanks for reporting.  We were originally assigned deck 17 penthouse suites but switched to deck 15 penthouse suites due to noise concerns from the Sanctuary.

With the large number of loungers in the Sanctuary I guess some noise would be inevitable during setup.

Luckily they leave the loungers in place. So the movement is minimal. 

23 minutes ago, NeutralNovice said:

Did you take pictures by any chance?  Particularly your balcony?  I currently have a booking that's on 17637, so all the way in aft, starboard side.

Also, how was your cruise, ship movement-wise?  Did you notice a lot of movement up that high and all the way back?

Thanks!!

That will be our room, too. 😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Here is the balcony. It’s a little longer because it extends past the cabin for the aft view. 

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpeg

That’s why we wanted this one…the balcony looked a little bigger on the deck plan. 😄

• Like 1

On the original deck plan only deck 17 extended for an aft view but they all do and the plans have been changed. I will maybe pick a lower level next time. But I think our ceiling is taller to give it a more open view.

(I’ll try for a picture of that later)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

On the original deck plan only deck 17 extended for an aft view but they all do and the plans have been changed. I will maybe pick a lower level next time. But I think our ceiling is taller to give it a more open view.

(I’ll try for a picture of that later)

We booked the same room but two decks lower on our September cruise, so we’ll have a chance to compare directly.  I am really excited to hear your thoughts about everything else (Signature lounge, Signature restaurant, Spellbound, shows, etc.).  Hope you’re enjoying your cruise!

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 4:41 AM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Here is the balcony. It’s a little longer because it extends past the cabin for the aft view. 

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpegWe are booked in 17620 on the Apr 27 sailing for 14 days. Another post had mentioned early morning noise but we are early riser and hope it doesn’t bother us. Do all the Penthouse Suites on Deck 17 have a love seat and table with 3 chairs on the balcony?

1 hour ago, Skiah said:
On 4/10/2024 at 2:41 PM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

IMG_0379.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpegWe are booked in 17620 on the Apr 27 sailing for 14 days. Another post had mentioned early morning noise but we are early riser and hope it doesn’t bother us. Do all the Penthouse Suites on Deck 17 have a love seat and table with 3 chairs on the balcony?

From what I can tell peaking over at my neighbor. 🤣 I actually really love the love seat.  It has a foot rest so we can both “recline” comfortably. 

• Like 2

Now that there is a dedicated Signature restaurant, I presume the suite breakfast no longer takes place in one of the specialty restaurants.  Is that correct?  If so, how does the experience compare (food, service, menu flexibility) with the specialty restaurant suite breakfasts?  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

To be honest we have not made it to the suite breakfast even one day yet!  🤪. We will try on the last sea day tomorrow!  But yes, it’s in the Signature restaurant. We know that much!

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 1:20 PM, NeutralNovice said:

Thanks!!

Now that the cruise is over ☹️ I will say that there was movement throughout the cruise. Whenever we came into port there was A LOT of shaking as the thrusters kicked in to help the azipods. 

But there was also some movement at night as the speed increased. Just a little port to starboard shaking but we love feeling the ship move so it didn’t bother us. With the beds facing either aft or forward it was actually a comforting movement like rocking a baby’s cradle. Nothing too bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

So talking to people this morning, I guess it was really rough last night. They said we were rolling a lot. But I slept right through it.

I'm always disappointed if I don't feel the ship rolling on my cruises at some point.

• Like 3

We experienced the "rolling Thunder" every morning on the Ruby and Emerald in our penthouse suite midship. We were one deck below the Lido as well.

This will not stop us from booking again though.

On 4/10/2024 at 5:57 AM, CalTexCruiser said:

We've cruised twice on Princess, once on the Regal and recently on the Enchanted.  We've relaxed in The Sanctuary on both cruises and what happens during the day {most times} is that people will move the loungers around to their preference during the day and, then the staff has to reset them to the original layout.  They usually do this in the evening, but, they may also do this in the a.m. thus, some noise in your cabin.