LIVE from Oasis of the Seas Transatlantic (with bonus Disney World) April 2024

On 4/24/2024 at 6:47 AM, A&L_Ont said:

I sure hope not. It’s a great place to dine. On a side note the musician that was there in March was from Nova Scotia and onboard for 3 weeks. 

I believe that's the same musician that was there the first week of March. He was great, I especially enjoyed his performance at On the Rocks in Hideaway Beach.

• Like 1

It’s been a quiet day so far. I finished my book and then headed to Central Park. I wanted to check out the library, which I had no idea existed until this morning.

IMG_0477.thumb.jpeg.1d89dbf6f642e6fc8bca844b0c23cba6.jpeg

There were several people inside, so I didn’t take any pictures. 

I also wanted a small bite to eat. I got a mushroom, mozzarella and pesto sandwich with a small bag of chips. Not sure how it happened, but I accidentally ended up in the salad line again. 

IMG_0478.thumb.jpeg.6437e7e1aa5baab1e95392ee45da30fa.jpeg

The sandwich was delicious. I sat with a couple of people who shared their bench with me and they told me that all the sandwiches they’ve had from Park Café have been delicious. There was a tuna one that I want to try eventually. 

The bench-sharing people also told me that Diamond members and above get one free specialty coffee loaded on their SeaPass every day. I found that strange, because that was the second time someone had told me that today. 

IMG_0480.thumb.jpeg.21988719825380caeab79e6097b59807.jpeg

It turns out that I have been waiting in line in the Crown Lounge for nothing!

Eager that test that new info, I got a large caramel iced latté that I was charged 0$ for. 

• Like 8

On 4/23/2024 at 8:57 PM, DbPA said:

Geez. Both TA ships have emergency detour stop. Wonder how often this happens?  Hadn’t thought about this when considering 9 days in middle of ocean. 😯. Hope they will be ok. 🙏

Odyssey dropped off a crew member in Bermuda at 7 pm,  then had to turn around and drop off a passenger at around 7 am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, iujen94 said:

I am absolutely loving your review!  We sail on Oasis in June, and my weight-challenged cat who loves sitting in the dog’s food bowl (I like to think it’s his version of giving the dog the middle finger) wonders if you might give me an obnoxiously exhaustive overview of the power outlet situation in your cabin?  I’ve been zooming in on all of your pictures where the outlets are in the background, but some are still hard to confirm, and this Type A/OCD overplanner must know please!

20220917_195559_708B25.jpeg

It’s not going to be a very long overview. 

Outlets at the desk:

IMG_0485.thumb.jpeg.a02075bde6e793b125321302c2d2fdac.jpeg

Outlets on only one side of the bed. In my stateroom, if I’m facing the bed, it’s on the left side. 

IMG_0484.thumb.jpeg.fb2299f6dc84fb0a1bc6b378ae7cbf44.jpeg

In the bathroom:

IMG_0486.thumb.jpeg.15d3898ee9961ab9a85c0b1293270f10.jpeg

Edited by laurieal
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, laurieal said:

It’s not going to be a very long overview. 

Outlets at the desk:

IMG_0485.thumb.jpeg.a02075bde6e793b125321302c2d2fdac.jpeg

Outlets on only one side of the bed. In my stateroom, if I’m facing the bed, it’s on the left side. 

IMG_0484.thumb.jpeg.fb2299f6dc84fb0a1bc6b378ae7cbf44.jpeg

In the bathroom:

IMG_0486.thumb.jpeg.15d3898ee9961ab9a85c0b1293270f10.jpeg

This is so helpful!  Mr. Snuggles and I are very appreciative. 

68921844596__3E8ED681-6C3E-4F54-8348-022833E70309.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Hmm, for some reason, my post of a couple days ago asking if you stopped in Bermuda for some reason as we pulled away didn’t post.  🙁

I finally caught up on your thread as I’m busy with mine and saw why.  

So how are you handling the extended sea days?  I’m feeling like a pig and its catching up to me.  It’s like perpetual food coma…

I think you’re over the horizon somewhere as i’m pretty sure you’re north of us.

IMG_9496.thumb.jpeg.feefc3bffef1da09a0e1facd05e8d744.jpeg

One little thing about Virgin I don’t like.  There’s no info like on your ship.  You have a map that shows where you are, I gotta rely on Google Maps to find me.

And what’s worse!  NO WEATHER REPORT or sunrise/sunset info. I gotta come on your thread and pull that info from your cruise compass!!! 🤬

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, gavvy said:

They have chip's back in the Cafe?  That's good

There was some when I got there a little after noon, but by the time I went back for my coffee it didn’t seem like they had any. Hopefully they have more hidden somewhere. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laurieal said:

There was some when I got there a little after noon, but by the time I went back for my coffee it didn’t seem like they had any. Hopefully they have more hidden somewhere. 

Before they took them away as a cutback they were often under the counter and not on display you had to ask for them, once one asked of course within seconds everyone wanted a bag!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rogueperson said:

Hmm, for some reason, my post of a couple days ago asking if you stopped in Bermuda for some reason as we pulled away didn’t post.  🙁

I finally caught up on your thread as I’m busy with mine and saw why.  

So how are you handling the extended sea days?  I’m feeling like a pig and its catching up to me.  It’s like perpetual food coma…

I think you’re over the horizon somewhere as i’m pretty sure you’re north of us.

IMG_9496.thumb.jpeg.feefc3bffef1da09a0e1facd05e8d744.jpeg

One little thing about Virgin I don’t like.  There’s no info like on your ship.  You have a map that shows where you are, I gotta rely on Google Maps to find me.

And what’s worse!  NO WEATHER REPORT or sunrise/sunset info. I gotta come on your thread and pull that info from your cruise compass!!! 🤬

The cruise life eating and drinking has caught up to me, today. I haven’t been feeling my best, but I’m rallying and planning on making it to the hibachi for dinner. I haven’t even used one of my drinks vouchers yet. 

The food you have been posting on your thread looks amazing and coma-worthy. That poké… 🤤 Other than that one place that wasn’t the best, how is your wife finding the gluten-free offerings on Virgin?

Speaking of cruise compass…

5 hours ago, gavvy said:

Before they took them away as a cutback they were often under the counter and not on display you had to ask for them, once one asked of course within seconds everyone wanted a bag!

I have brought a ridiculous amount of individual portions of Pringles on board. I could potentially make good money setting up a table to sell them outside the Park Café…

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, laurieal said:

The cruise life eating and drinking has caught up to me, today. I haven’t been feeling my best, but I’m rallying and planning on making it to the hibachi for dinner. I haven’t even used one of my drinks vouchers yet. 

The food you have been posting on your thread looks amazing and coma-worthy. That poké… 🤤 Other than that one place that wasn’t the best, how is your wife finding the gluten-free offerings on Virgin?

Speaking of cruise compass…

My wife is finding Virgin to be FAR superior in giving her options.  There’s been a couple of slips, but for example, there is gluten free pizza here that in her opinion is indistinguishable from a normal crust.  Add to the fact that the pizza on here just blew away everyone.  I mean, this pizza rivals pizza you get on land restaurants.  

The low points really is they keep overcooking the fish and my wife also does not eat red meat.

A friend of mine just asked me a couple minutes ago “do you miss escargot” which i’m crazy about on Royal.  Answer.  Nope.  I got so many other available options, I really don’t.  Thats saying a lot!

• Like 4

laurie, proverbial good news and bad news.  The good is that I loved this review so much I went back and read all your older reviews.  So thank you for those links.  The bad news is that I have done virtually no work the last two days and now I am behind and I am depressed that I am not on a cruise.  The good news is that I sail on Mariner in 18 days.  The bad news is I still have 18 days to go.  Continue on your journey and thanks again for letting us stow away with you. 

Oh - dogs are superior beings and bananas are the nectar of the gods.  Sorry, I felt compelled to pick a fight with you for no good reason other than jealousy that you are having such a great cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

17 minutes ago, wolfganghowell said:

laurie, proverbial good news and bad news.  The good is that I loved this review so much I went back and read all your older reviews.  So thank you for those links.  The bad news is that I have done virtually no work the last two days and now I am behind and I am depressed that I am not on a cruise.  The good news is that I sail on Mariner in 18 days.  The bad news is I still have 18 days to go.  Continue on your journey and thanks again for letting us stow away with you. 

Oh - dogs are superior beings and bananas are the nectar of the gods.  Sorry, I felt compelled to pick a fight with you for no good reason other than jealousy that you are having such a great cruise.

Yeah same here. DW and I have a cruise planned for late May but at the last minute we decided to book another for next weekend because we need a mental health break and can't wait another month. So now I'm wasting time planning for two cruises in May instead of one. 😀

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

@laurieal I am appreciating your live review so much. The pictures of your food & beverages have me drooling! 🤤

I keep finding myself hopping on NCL ships lately but you've convinced me to try Oasis. I had such a great time on Harmony and I need a repeat! 

Hope you've got some smooth sailing ahead over the Atlantic!

Edited by spethstation
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, wolfganghowell said:

How dare you. Bananas are disgusting and they need to be sent to their room without dessert. 

(Which should never involve bananas, anyway)

I will agree that dogs are great. I just don’t like it when someone loves me unconditionally. If I don’t have to work for it, it’s meaningless. 

I’m confused by your comment. As a Canadian I feel like I am legally obligated to apologize. But as someone who has had that happen with other reviews, I am not sorry. 

Enjoy the Mariner cruise!

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, spethstation said:

@laurieal I am appreciating your live review so much. The pictures of your food & beverages have me drooling! 🤤

I keep finding myself hopping on NCL ships lately but you've convinced me to try Oasis. I had such a great time on Harmony and I need a repeat! 

Hope you've got some smooth sailing ahead over the Atlantic!

Thank you! So far I’m really enjoying Oasis. She’s showing her age in some places, but she still looks great. 

It’s been smoother today. Hopefully it stays that way. 

• Like 1

The last time I saw you, I was enjoying an iced latté in the Solarium. I wasn’t feeling the best and it was getting chilly even for me, so I went back to my stateroom for some rest. 

Laying down helped, I think, and I’m now somewhat refreshed and ready for dinner. 

There was Disney trivia in Spotlight Karaoke, so I went there early to get a table and a Curaçao Cosmo. 

IMG_0494.thumb.jpeg.337e78da99f3f2327e97caf94eef1735.jpeg

IMG_0495.thumb.jpeg.d5446238b65ef5cfbd2679ae4ff9e99f.jpeg

IMG_0493.thumb.jpeg.bca54fac9a1cf99fe1f048d53f5676c0.jpeg

I ran into the guy who organized the solo meetup on the first day and he was wearing a Disney shirt, so obviously I wanted him on my team. We were joined by another solo. While we don’t have a highlighter or a keychain to show for it, we had a good time. 

Dinner is only at 19:30 so I’m staying in Spotlight Karaoke for the Blankety Blank game and maybe another cocktail. We’ll see how things go. 

• Like 5

Since I have a Canadian sister in law, I even know how to pronounce sorry correctly.  Your apology is accepted since as a Texan, we feel Canadians are the next best thing to us.  As for unconditional dog love, may I present one of our chihuahuas, Taco.  As you can see, she has the temperament of a cat and I have not earned her eternal love after 12 years.  My husband, however, has.  She makes no secret that she prefers him to me at all times.  Juliet is a beauty and orange cats are the best (says the redhead).  Back to cruising - we are looking forward to our first Playmakers on this cruise.

Evil Taco.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Just now, wolfganghowell said:

Since I have a Canadian sister in law, I even know how to pronounce sorry correctly.  Your apology is accepted since as a Texan, we feel Canadians are the next best thing to us.  As for unconditional dog love, may I present one of our chihuahuas, Taco.  As you can see, she has the temperament of a cat and I have not earned her eternal love after 12 years.  My husband, however, has.  She makes no secret that she prefers him to me at all times.  Juliet is a beauty and orange cats are the best (says the redhead).  Back to cruising - we are looking forward to our first Playmakers on this cruise.

Evil Taco.JPG

Taco hates me. I can feel it through the screen. 

I love it. 

• Haha 11

The Blankety Blank thing was alright. Not something I would go out of my way to see. 

IMG_0498.thumb.jpeg.8ee2d2ff4001f73cdc838281dbff8420.jpeg

Since I had some time before I had to be at Izumi for dinner, I went to the Crown Lounge to check out their evening offerings. 

IMG_0500.thumb.jpeg.5f89dbcc1601a94fef541695a5a90a99.jpeg

IMG_0501.thumb.jpeg.5a7ed3c9d7f5e627c5adcece5b131cde.jpeg

I was tempted by some things, but I resisted in order to be super hungry for dinner. 

Then, since I was right next to it, I attempted to gamble.

IMG_0503.thumb.jpeg.163c6bef21e523b4f70d264de54acf9c.jpeg

As I said previously, I didn’t have my Crown & Anchor credits loaded to my SeaPass and it looks like I have no idea how to gamble. 

Too bad. Dinner it was, then. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It was Izumi Hibachi time!

Now I realize that I haven’t exactly been giving any tips or tricks regarding accessibility. But here’s one! If you use a mobility device and want to do the hibachi experience, try to aim for the xx:30 spot. You will be seated closer to the door and won’t have to navigate around people. 

IMG_0505.thumb.jpeg.61115e056c8010583a7a951a10d6815b.jpeg

The hibachi is a little intimidating as a solo, but I was seated next to a really nice couple from Canada. 

I started with one of my favourite drinks, She’s a Geisha. 

IMG_0506.thumb.jpeg.66a25c3a62d6d0ca69d61ba46ddb50a8.jpeg

I’m sorry about the food pictures. They never look super appetizing at the hibachi, but trust me when I say everything was delicious. 

Fried rice and veggies. 

IMG_0508.thumb.jpeg.8354e3f9307845ac0978d19420807b48.jpeg

Beef tenderloin.

IMG_0510.thumb.jpeg.3020658a64f5bd4fe9836026034fb3b5.jpeg

And now lobster. 

IMG_0511.thumb.jpeg.bf0cede2a5461cd9d8563ca09d8a021a.jpeg

For dessert, I had the ice cream mochi. 

IMG_0512.thumb.jpeg.b05cd45f6fd6e21ae50df710d6762302.jpeg

It was an excellent meal. The beef was very tender and the star of the show for me. 

I had booked this meal as part of my three nights dining package. If you do this, know that there is a 15$ up charge to do the hibachi experience. 

(I hadn’t noticed until I posted, but I love how there’s the tragic story of my cocktail getting emptier in each picture)

Edited by laurieal
Tragic cocktail story is tragic
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, wolfganghowell said:

Evil Taco.JPG

This was my Taco.  Taco Chewbacca was his name.  Apparently all my pets have middle names too.IMG_5715.thumb.jpeg.eeb867d2739e178cbbaefd1ea181c379.jpeg

He tolerated me at best.  He came over when I married my wife and he lived 9 years with us before he passed in 2021.  For him, Covid was a gift because someone was with him constantly for the last 9 months of his life.

Edited by Rogueperson
  • Like 7

Just now, Rogueperson said:

This was my Taco.  Taco Chewbacca was his name.  Apparently all my pets have middle names too.IMG_5715.thumb.jpeg.eeb867d2739e178cbbaefd1ea181c379.jpeg

He tolerated me at best.  He came over when I married my wife and he lived 9 years with us before he passed in 2021.  For him, Covid was a gift because someone was with him constantly for the last 9 months of his life.

Look at that dapper gentleman. I’m sorry for your loss; I’m glad Taco got to spend his last moments with the people he loved/tolerated. 

What are Punk and Dobby’s middle names?