Bruges or Brussels?

No contest.

Brussels is a modern commercial city, home pf the EU administration and associated offices & businesses. It has few sights of interest and they're spread around the city.

It's also a very boring 70 miles & about 2 hours from the port by road or by rail.

Bruges is about 6 miles & 15/20 minutes from the port.

Known for its canals as "the Venice of the North" (altho that's a big over-statement), it was for many centuries a major port for wool, lace etc until ships got bigger and the river silted up. Historic buildings, cobbled streets, shops for chocolate, lace & other local products, bars & cafes & attractions, all in a compact city centre.

It's understandably where most cruisers visit, altho there are other options like Ostend, the Atlantik Wall,  seaside resorts, and Sluis (actually in the Netherlands).

I'd put all of those places & more ahead of Brussels

JB 🙂

• Like 1

OK, JB, I've spent a lot of time in Brussels! It's not THAT bad...

But for a day excursion, I'd definitely go to Bruges. Too much lost time traveling, and Brussels is a big place with very different neighborhoods/areas scattered over a fairly large area. And how many times can you see Mannekin Pis...  😃

I'm sure you can get great stoofvlees and stoemp in Bruges!

• Like 1

Choose Bruges, or Ghent, or anywhere on the coast over Brussels, especially if just for one day. Brussels is the polar opposite of Paris - great to live in, terrible for tourists! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

For a tour from Zeebrugge because of the drive (and the time you loose on it) I would prefer Brugge (or if you're into history Ypers for it's WWI connection)

But be aware, depending on the size of your ship and if it's a weekend Brugge is small and will be packed with tourist.

For a land based trip I prefer Brussels as it's in my eyes one of the most underrated city in Europe. It also makes a great base camp to visit some other places. As a comic book enthusiast Brussels is the dream city as it's after all the home town of Tintin (and Spirou if you know that character as well) - many murals of european comic book characters around, the comic book museum, the amazing Atomium building from the World Fair 1958, Grand Place with the old town around and the little pissing boy (Manneken Pis) and many more sights

Edited by onyx007

23 hours ago, markeb said:

OK, JB, I've spent a lot of time in Brussels! It's not THAT bad...

Well, I believe that John Bull isn't one for big cities, anyway, so Brussels would get marked down for that reason.

But he is right about the comparison in this case.

• Haha 2

Although I am in the minority and actually like Brussels, from a cruise that docked in Zeebrugge, I would definitely go to Bruges It is a beautiful, small, and very easy to see on the visit from the cruise. One of our favorite ports to explore on our own.

• Like 1