Passports while in port?

22 hours ago, Tatka said:

Passport card  is basically a passport. So I guess people need to order both.We never had them.

They are not basically a passport. They are useless (other than a form of ID) unless you are crossing the Canadian or Mexican border by land. If you got stranded in a Caribbean country, you could not use them to fly home to the US. If you got stranded in Canada, you could not use them to fly home to the US. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

They are not basically a passport. They are useless (other than a form of ID) unless you are crossing the Canadian or Mexican border by land. If you got stranded in a Caribbean country, you could not use them to fly home to the US. If you got stranded in Canada, you could not use them to fly home to the US. 

It  is a limited passport you cannot use to fly, but for identification purpose it is a passport.

There are several situation

1. Ship leaves (they will make sure port has your passport)

2. You need passport as identification as authorities do not accept other documents.. In this case passport card should work as your id.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

If you got stranded in Canada, you could not use them to fly home to the US. 

But you can cruise or drive home.  😉 

Edited by island lady

On 4/19/2024 at 8:22 AM, island lady said:

As I keep posting...over and over again.  We are not all alike.  My way works for me...your way works for you.  Good for you.  

Yes and no.  While we may vary in our willingness to accept risk, and we may make different choices based upon the specific island or the distance from the pier, some things are facts.  Indisputable, cold, hard facts -- and not everyone has those straight.  

Whatever you (using the general you) think is appropriate, I urge you to check government websites and KNOW that what you believe about your chosen document is actually correct.  Seriously, not everything on this thread or this site is correct.  

• Like 2