Who is Allowed to Bid for an Upgrade?

cruzsnooze

I read that not all TA's are included in the process to bid for an upgrade. Is there a way to find out who is excluded. I booked with a big box company who gave me different answers. I can't name the TA but would like to know if anyone has some definite information about this caveat in the bidding process. 

6 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I read that not all TA's are included in the process to bid for an upgrade. Is there a way to find out who is excluded. I booked with a big box company who gave me different answers. I can't name the TA but would like to know if anyone has some definite information about this caveat in the bidding process. 

I book with a "big box" agency and they do not participate in the bidding process. 

My big box store has this information in their FAQs:

Does xxx participate in any cruise line bid-to-upgrade programs?

No. xxx does not participate in any bid-to-upgrade programs, such as: RoyalUp with Royal Caribbean® or MoveUp with Celebrity Cruises. 

However, we do participate in pay-for-perks programs, such as Carnival Cruise Line Faster to Fun; Royal Caribbean® The Key; Holland America Club Orange; or Princess Cruise Line Club Class. These programs are offered to you through your online cruise planner/account and may be purchased at your discretion before travel. These offers include special features and amenities for an additional cost without requiring you to change room categories. For more information, visit the cruise line's website.

This bidding for an upgrade is silly if they don't tell what cabin you are bidding on. 

What is also funny is that Princess says the Crown this weekend (20 Apr) is fully booked but it still allowed me to start the process of bidding. (Didn't complete the process.  What Princess and I call great cabins are two different things.)

10 hours ago, damiross said:

This bidding for an upgrade is silly if they don't tell what cabin you are bidding on. 

What is also funny is that Princess says the Crown this weekend (20 Apr) is fully booked but it still allowed me to start the process of bidding. (Didn't complete the process.  What Princess and I call great cabins are two different things.)

There is an element of gambling involved.  Some of us have secured excellent upgrades. Some find themselves over a nightclub or under the pool deck. If you want something specific and it’s available, book it.

Fully booked doesn’t mean there aren’t rooms available. There can be cancellations, and there is a maximum headcount that can be reached before all cabins are sold due to full utilization of 3 and 4 passenger cabins.

Just like hotels, upgrade is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes you will ask yourself “how is this better or worth more?”  But going from an ocean view to a balcony, the difference is apparent.

20 hours ago, Italy52 said:

I book with a "big box" agency and they do not participate in the bidding process. 

I book through a TA but don't bother them in the bidding for an upgrade and I just do it myself via the Personalizer. My bids are always processed and I receive the unsuccessful advices if I miss out.

8 minutes ago, leck57 said:

I book through a TA but don't bother them in the bidding for an upgrade and I just do it myself via the Personalizer. My bids are always processed and I receive the unsuccessful advices if I miss out.

That means your TA participates then. Those who book through big box TAs that don't participate in the Upgrade program will not be able to bid at all.

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

That means your TA participates then. Those who book through big box TAs that don't participate in the Upgrade program will not be able to bid at all.

Perhaps I don't understand how that part works. Does that mean if you book through a big box TA then you can't bid even doing it yourself? My TA wouldn't know whether I'm bidding or not - but I get what you mean.

14 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Perhaps I don't understand how that part works. Does that mean if you book through a big box TA then you can't bid even doing it yourself? My TA wouldn't know whether I'm bidding or not - but I get what you mean.

Yes, when TAs (typically big box or large-scale online TAs) don't participate in the Upgrade program, anyone who books through them simply is not eligible to bid, even on their own through the cruise planner.

• Like 3