POC Change on NCL's Breakaway 9-1-24 ???

Sunday of Labor Day weekend-- huge community events and too many cruise ships and passengers probably.  One of many communities trying to reduce the number of cruise ships and their passengers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Does it really matter why, but yes someone knows.  The Captain at lesst would.

Matters to me.  I lost 50% of the reasons I booked this cruise.  If the reason for the change was NCL-caused, then it's likely that I'd lose the rest of why I booked.  But thanks for your help anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SPNJHockey said:

Matters to me.  I lost 50% of the reasons I booked this cruise.  If the reason for the change was NCL-caused, then it's likely that I'd lose the rest of why I booked.  But thanks for your help anyway.

It matters to me as well. As Newport was the main draw as I wanted to see the mansions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SPNJHockey said:

Would anyone know why Port Of Call for Newport RI was cancelled?

Got an email, but no explanation.

What did your email say? Maybe you should take it at face value. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It didn’t say which is why I everyone is wondering. It said given recent guest feedback and too accommodate certain circumstances including but not limited to port availability, fuel optimization and our commitment to environment and sustainability and maritime regulations. So what reason do you get from that goobly gook? There are valid reasons to cancel ports and if there was a valid reason it should be communicated. My guess is the reason is likely not valid which is why they aren’t communicating it.

• Like 2

I am on sailing on the breakaway in the middle of October, on my cruise when I look at the various official port schedules there is a good chance that both Portland and Bar Harbor will be canceled. Norwegian has not sent out any itinerary changes emails yet. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

@SPNJHockey and @undecided1, since you are still outside of 120 days until Final Payment, it is not too late to cancel the cruise for a full refund.

I know thank you. Unfortunately I am locked into those days and have flights already paid for with that said I was simply expecting a company that I am paying a lot of money to for a vacation to provide an explanation as to why they changed the product I purchased. I have been on many cruises with changes due to weather etc no explanation needed but when you drop a port without an obvious reason I think the company could at least provide a reason. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, undecided1 said:

It didn’t say which is why I everyone is wondering. It said given recent guest feedback and too accommodate certain circumstances including but not limited to port availability, fuel optimization and our commitment to environment and sustainability and maritime regulations. So what reason do you get from that goobly gook? There are valid reasons to cancel ports and if there was a valid reason it should be communicated. My guess is the reason is likely not valid which is why they aren’t communicating it.

Newport along with a number of ports of call around the world are beginning to limit the number of cruise ships that can be docked  at one time.  Very much a recurring theme at the moment.

2 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Newport along with a number of ports of call around the world are beginning to limit the number of cruise ships that can be docked  at one time.  Very much a recurring theme at the moment.

you are thinking about Bar Harbor that is limiting cruise ships. i can not find anything about Newport doing the same thing

Newport is a tender port, if the weather is not right for tendering the port will be skipped

6 hours ago, SPNJHockey said:

One shou;d NEVER book a cruise becasue of the specific ports.  They are never guaranteed.  If a port is ccancelled its cancelled.  WHy does not change a thing.  If you want to knwo why, track down the captain and ask him.  Your logic on any other ports possibly being cancelled is absurd.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

you are thinking about Bar Harbor that is limiting cruise ships. i can not find anything about Newport doing the same thing

Newport is a tender port, if the weather is not right for tendering the port will be skipped

One of the people posting cruise news stories reported on it a few weeks ago.  Today a city in Turkey and a very popular city (very long name) in Iceland.  Sandroni Greece has been added to the list as well as Sitka and Juneau Alaska.  The list seems to get longer and longer. 

As for those stating above that cruises shouldn't be booked for specific ports... ummm, isn't itinerary one of the main components of a cruise?  Sure I understand that weather and acts of God come into effect (actual mariner term), but many, if not most people book a cruise based on its itinerary.  That means SPECIFIC PORTS of call.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I'm on the same cruise, and here's the email we received: 

Screenshot2024-04-19at8_03_27PM.thumb.png.a5b5d515742adfb79ffdcc42538447cf.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, undecided1 said:

You have obviously have not read the crusie contract you agreed to upon booking your cruise, eiterh that or you simply ignored it.

Here ya go!

6c) Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct the
movements of the vessel, including the rights to: proceed without pilots and tow, and assist other vessels
in all situations; deviate from the purchased voyage or the normal course for any purpose, including,
without limitation, in the interest of Guests or of the vessel, or to save life or property; put in at any
unscheduled or unadvertised port; cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any time
before, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertised
port; return to port of embarkation or to any port previously visited if the Carrier deems it prudent to do so;
substitute another vessel or port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to the
Guest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, undecided1 said:

I know thank you. Unfortunately I am locked into those days and have flights already paid for with that said I was simply expecting a company that I am paying a lot of money to for a vacation to provide an explanation as to why they changed the product I purchased. I have been on many cruises with changes due to weather etc no explanation needed but when you drop a port without an obvious reason I think the company could at least provide a reason. 

You purchased a 7*day (or however long) cruise,.  That is what you are still getting.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You purchased a 7*day (or however long) cruise,.  That is what you are still getting.

So if they cancelled all the ports on a 7-day cruise you were on and replaced them all with sea days you would be ok with that?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

@SPNJHockey and @undecided1, since you are still outside of 120 days until Final Payment, it is not too late to cancel the cruise for a full refund.

It is NOT too late.  So, we're gathering data - well, at least trying to get some intel - before we decide to cancel.  We love this itinerary, but usually do it on the QM2.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

It is NOT too late.  So, we're gathering data - well, at least trying to get some intel - before we decide to cancel.  We love this itinerary, but usually do it on the QM2.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

One shou;d NEVER book a cruise becasue of the specific ports. 

Ports are - and will continue to be - a primary factor in my cruise selection.

23 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Does it really matter why

Why matters to me.  I am on the same itinerary later in the month.  Newport is one of the ports I want to visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You have obviously have not read the crusie contract you agreed to upon booking your cruise, eiterh that or you simply ignored it.

Or they booked by phone through NCL reservations and there was no mention of any contract.  They just want your name and credit card.  That contract is [probably] linked in a confirmation, or at online check-in within 21 days of departure.  If you're past final payment when you receive that contract you agreed to upon booking your cruise, you're SOL.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, undecided1 said:

Here’s the answer. This stop has been canceled since December, NCL just didn’t tell us. 

Looks like this was decided in Dec 2023. https://www.newportthisweek.com/articles/newport-council-cancels-two-summer-cruise-ship-stops/

It's so hard not to be jaded when discussing NCL....and here's such a great example. 

• Like 4