Selecting “cruise only”, opting into insurance and then canceling before final payment

Hi there, 

if I select cruise only, then I choose to be covered by Holland Americas insurance, and I put down a deposit, but then I canceled before the final payment, am I still on the hook for the cost of the insurance? The language seems very ambiguous and I can’t figure it out …

thank you!!!! 

Posted (edited)

As @POA1 indicated with a refundable deposit you don't need to pay for insurance until you get to the first required payment which is usually on final payment day (3 to 4 months before the cruise).   But yes, once you buy the insurance that is not refundable

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Call a PCC or HAL and ask for the ‘advantage fare’ which is cruise only and a refundable deposit. It is only slightly more than the non-refundable ‘cruise only’ option that is online. The advantage fare is not an online option.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

As @POA1 indicated with a refundable deposit you don't need to pay for insurance until you get to the first required payment which is usually on final payment day (3 to 4 months before the cruise).   But yes, once you buy the insurance that is not refundable

Let me clarify. You can add the cruise protection plan anytime before your final payment deadline. You just want to refrain from paying for it ahead of time, because - once purchased - it's generally not refundable. Technically, you could probably get it refunded before the the final payment deadline, but you, your TA, or your PCC will have extra work to do.

Just remember to add it if you want it, before your final payment deadline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

You can add the cruise protection plan anytime before your final payment deadline.

Strictly, before Penalties Accrue. With a non-refundable deposit that is immediately. For most refundable-deposit cruises it is Final Payment Date. For my 35-day SoPacific cruise, it was about a month before Final Payment. Long cruises (do not know the cut-off duration) will have early penalty phase.

• Thanks 1