Alaska with a Birth Cert. - Canada question

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

For those of you that have used a birth certificate on your Alaska cruise.  I am assuming you can not get off at Canada.  Is this correct? 

Thank you

You can only use a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise and yes if it is closed loop, which means round trip from a US port, you can get off in Canada with only a BC. What you can’t do if the ship calls at Skagway is take some runs of the White Pass railway that cross into Canada by land. 

Edited by Charles4515

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

You can only use a birth certificate on a closed loop cruise and yes if it is closed loop, which means round trip from a US port, you can get off in Canada with only a BC. What you can’t do if the ship calls at Skagway is take some runs of the White Pass railway that cross into Canada by land. 

Thank you, no plans on riding the train and possibly not going into Canada but was just curious.  Thanks for taking the time to answer

19 minutes ago, sprint180 said:

Thank you, no plans on riding the train and possibly not going into Canada but was just curious.  Thanks for taking the time to answer

You can promise not to go into Canada, but they won't allow you on the ship without the required citizenship proof.

• Haha 1

I think you will be on the Seattle round trip cruise on the Quantum.  If that is the case, then using your birth certificates are fine.  Please check them now and make sure that all of them are US gov't issued birth certificates (not hospital issued), and that everyone 16 yr old and older has a gov't issued photo ID (school IDs are fine).

You can get off the ship in Victoria, BC.

You can not take the train in Skagway that enters Canada.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I think you will be on the Seattle round trip cruise on the Quantum.  If that is the case, then using your birth certificates are fine.  Please check them now and make sure that all of them are US gov't issued birth certificates (not hospital issued), and that everyone 16 yr old and older has a gov't issued photo ID (school IDs are fine).

You can get off the ship in Victoria, BC.

You can not take the train in Skagway that enters Canada.

Enjoy your cruise.

Yes I know my birth certs are fine.  I was just wondering about Canada.  Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Edited by sprint180

5 hours ago, sprint180 said:

Yes I know my birth certs are fine.  I was just wondering about Canada.  Thanks for taking the time to help me.

...along with a current valid gov't issued picture ID (Drivers license, etc.).  Just confirming you need both, not just a BC.