Saint John NB walking question----

Jetswdo

We have been to Saint John on a prior cruise and have done the main tourist things on a shore excursion.  For our upcoming cruise, we would like to just walk around and have lunch, probably at Billy's or Steamers.  We would like to go as far as the Jewish history museum---  ( also bought tickets from cruise line for HOHO bus, fortunately our cruise ship is the only one scheduled in town that day)  If we just walk all the way to museum area, what are the easiest streets (least hilly) for us to use.  We are in late 60's early 70's,  I know it is about a 15 minute walk or so from the ship--- I just don't want to be out of breath when I get there!  Also, if we walk back to the ship by way of Billys area,  I think that way is down hill?  What I am babbling on about, is that if the line is ridiculous to get on the bus (museum is stop 5), then we would rather just walk it.  ( I can pick up the bus at another stop just to do the 1 1/2 hour loop around)   Just want to keep our options flexible.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The trick to walking Uptown Saint John and getting up the hill.
Walk along Water st to Market Square (some restaurants and shops are in here). Take the escalator up and you will find a path going to Brunswick Square (NB Museum shop is in here), there is a cat walk between buildings. Once in Brunswick square you can take an elevator or escalator up and find the walkway to the City Market. Once you come out of the City market, you are at the top of the hill and at Kings Square which is a nice big park. The Jewish History museum is a couple of blocks away from here.

• Like 2

I found an app called "GPSmyCity"-yes, all one word. It has many city walks that are free, including one for St. John, New Brunswick. It is a self guided walk. Ap says plan for two hours. It has 10 sights, including 3 "must see" It goes to the City Market, King's Square, and Trinity Anglican Church as well as the Jewish Historical Museum, the Loyalis Burial Ground, the Loyist House (a museum) and a few other places. There is a 3-day free trial that can give you more features beside the map.The paid version has voice -guided turn by turn directions. Maybe we will do the free trial and sign up when we get there, maybe we will just use the free version but thought this would be a great way to hit the major highlights and not get lost 🙂

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2024 at 11:01 AM, AREA506guy said:

The trick to walking Uptown Saint John and getting up the hill.
Walk along Water st to Market Square (some restaurants and shops are in here). Take the escalator up and you will find a path going to Brunswick Square (NB Museum shop is in here), there is a cat walk between buildings. Once in Brunswick square you can take an elevator or escalator up and find the walkway to the City Market. Once you come out of the City market, you are at the top of the hill and at Kings Square which is a nice big park. The Jewish History museum is a couple of blocks away from here.

Wrong Saint John's

Just as an update, presently the walkway from Market Square to Brunswick Square is being renovated. So I have been told on the right side of water Street, under the walkway is an entrance to the old bank building and there is an elevator there.

• Like 1