Any Place to Swim in the Sea at Sitka, Skagway, or Juneau?

LEMJMcC

I'm hoping to take a quick dip in the sea while on our Alaskan cruise this July.  Are there any places that provide easy, safe access to water from the shore at any of the ports listed above?  I'm not talking about doing laps, but I would like to experience it once.

Thanks.

You will be at docks with lots of boat traffic.  I would book a tour with a local at one of the ports and tell them you want to stop for a quick swim somewhere.  In Skagway, Dyea would probably be good.  You can swim in Mendenhall Lake with the local kids but it’s not the ocean.  Haines also has a local beach.  Be aware that many spots look fine but can be very dangerous fit to strong tides and undertows.

• Thanks 1

You may need to rent a car to get to these places, but in Ketchikan there is Rotary Beach, and in Juneau, Eagle Beach, Echo Cove and, also the beach at the Treadwell Mine Trail.

We were in Sitka last year and there were people swimming off the shore near the National Park. The beach was rocky but it was easy to get to. After you get off the cruise bus in Downtown Sitka you walk along the path past the marina towards the National Park. Just before the NP you can get down to the water.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SightCRR said:

I would think the Sitka bus ride back to the ship would not be great with salt water wet clothes. 

I don't imagine that he'd be going in fully clothed. If he strips down to swim trunks, the rest of his clothes will be dry.  Depending on the weather that day, his trunks might dry long before he heads back to the bus.  There might even be a public restroom where he could change afterwards and put his wet suit into a plastic bag to take back to the ship.

We're planning to rent e-bikes at the cruise port in Sitka.  I will take some trunks with me, along with a towel and some water shoes.  Looks like there are a couple places to swim at Sandy Beach Day Use Area and Halibut Point Recreation Site; both are on the way back to the port just off Halibut Pointe Road.  Both look to have public restrooms!  Plan is to ride around Sitka for the day, then on the ride back to the port, stop at one or the other for a quick dip, then return the bikes and hit the cabin for a nice hot shower! 

• Like 1

We were in Icy Strait Point last May '23.  While walking along the boardwalk above the beach we noticed a young guy who was in swim trunks ready to run into the water.  People stopped to watch to see what he was doing, and after a minute or two he ran into the water - not far (as it was quite cold - but he did drop his body into the water, then jumped back out. 

A couple minutes later we saw that he was back in the water, squatting down, looking in the water.  Standing on the shore behind him was a young woman (wife, GF?).  Apparently, when he ran into the water, a ring (a wedding ring?) slipped off his finger and he was squatting down trying to find it.  The poor guy was still in the water looking around when we finished our walk.  I don't know if he ever found it.

Do you have a rental car in Juneau?  Across the channel on Douglas, there is a beach called Savikko Park. The beach is all sand, unlike the rocks you'll find everywhere else.  My guess is this would be one of the best places in Juneau to swim.  

On 4/29/2024 at 9:20 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

We were in Icy Strait Point last May '23.  While walking along the boardwalk above the beach we noticed a young guy who was in swim trunks ready to run into the water.  People stopped to watch to see what he was doing, and after a minute or two he ran into the water - not far (as it was quite cold - but he did drop his body into the water, then jumped back out. 

A couple minutes later we saw that he was back in the water, squatting down, looking in the water.  Standing on the shore behind him was a young woman (wife, GF?).  Apparently, when he ran into the water, a ring (a wedding ring?) slipped off his finger and he was squatting down trying to find it.  The poor guy was still in the water looking around when we finished our walk.  I don't know if he ever found it.

Bummer!  I do hope he found whatever he lost.

On 4/29/2024 at 12:49 PM, jean87510 said:

I have a half wet suit I use for snorkeling in Florida at the cold springs.  It is helpful.  Husband uses a full wet suit.  If you have room in suitcase and can put it on quickly over bathing suit, why not?

Well, we're kinda bursting at the seams now and will have to cull quite a bit of what we've already packed, so I'll just have to rely on my own natural insulation!  Good suggestion though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Do you have a rental car in Juneau?  Across the channel on Douglas, there is a beach called Savikko Park. The beach is all sand, unlike the rocks you'll find everywhere else.  My guess is this would be one of the best places in Juneau to swim.  

Hmmm.  We're doing a whale-watching tour with Harv & Marv's in Juneau, so won't be renting a car.  Too bad, sounds like a neat place.  Thanks.