Same Day Arrival for QM2 Crossing

Jack E Dawson

My husband loves to give planes a sporting chance of getting away, but I don't!  The whole point of a TA (I think) is being elegantly unhurried.

Last year my teenaged daughter and I were headed to a small island in Ireland for a recuperative stay after a tough few years. She was dreading people, crowds, noise, bustle, no sleep, jet lag . . .   But to get to there we had a crazy fast switch from JFK-Heathrow-Dublin. 

Normally we travel light with a bag small enough to carryon (even for two weeks with hiking boots and wedding outfit), but the European non-check bag is too small even for us.  Since I was in sole charge, I had swirling questions:  Where or even how often would we have to clear customs?  Immigration?  Could we check our bags through?  Would we have to wait for them?  Would there be enough time for checked bags to catch up with us?  How long to dash from one terminal to another?  And this would all be on basically no sleep for us and about 5 in the morning in London--how often would the shuttles run?  etc. etc.  I couldn't get through to British Air for weeks, and so forth and so on.  I memorized maps and running routes!

As it happened EVERYTHING worked smoothly--in fact the Dublin flight was delayed so I even had time for a little breakfast from Leon.  Our Dublin to Cork train was fine.  Our Cork to London flight to meet up with the rest of the family was fine.  Our London to JFK flight was delayed but fine.  

We're headed back to the same island against this summer, BUT the thought of all that stressful switching is just so unpleasant is the reason that we booked our (first) TA on QM2 this summer!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tattycoram said:

but the European non-check bag is too small even for us.  

I couldn't get through to British Air for weeks,

Was that British Airways?

Their standard cabin bagage allowance is a full size (56 x 45 x 25cm) bag of up to 23kg to go in the overhead and a smaller 23kg bag to go under the seat.

How big and heavy a bag do US airlines allow in cabin? Delta wasn't any bigger.

25 minutes ago, D&N said:

Was that British Airways?

Their standard cabin bagage allowance is a full size (56 x 45 x 25cm) bag of up to 23kg to go in the overhead and a smaller 23kg bag to go under the seat.

How big and heavy a bag do US airlines allow in cabin? Delta wasn't any bigger.

Americans call BA British Air it seems. 

23kg is a very heavy small bag. Our large cases (obviously full of shirts both short sleeved and long sleeved 😉) never seem to weigh that much. But you are indeed correct!

BA are generally pretty relaxed about bags. Certainly no Ryanair. 

(Club allows 2 x 32kg hold bags per person - very useful on skiing holidays) 

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

23kg is a very heavy small bag

I often wonder how you get 23kg into either of the small bags? Perhaps a mechanic's tool kit!

And how folk lift 23kg into the overhead?

Our policy is to put the heaviest stuff in those bags to save weight in checked luggage.

Economy is fine for our 1h40m flights to/from Heathrow and if we need an extra checked bag it's quite cheap. We have Avios on hand if prices are unusually high.

Decided to give skiing a miss. Took a day trip to Valberg one New Year, far far too cold for me!

I’ve always arrived day before a cruise and for 20 years that worked great for me. Given the state of flying I’m adding a day from now on to give myself a cushion. On a cruise now and at our departing airport someone maliciously cut lines which affected Southwest and Delta flights. An absolute disaster. I’d have been a basket case had I been flying either and only had that day. To me it’s not worth the chance anymore…all the anticipation joy is gone with stress.

D&N and buchanan101, I seem to be typing too fast (I see there's a grammar error in my last sentence too--I must have edited and left a ghost behind):  I normally would say BA or British Airways.  The suitcase wrinkle was the switch from our BA flight to regional Aer Lingus flights which had a smaller allowance (maybe not as draconian as Ryanair, but I definitely didn't want to push it).

A few times on international flights I've had problems with bags that did not keep up with me--once from Paris to Carcasonne where my suitcase didn't catch up with us on our canal boat until we were almost in Marseille.  Also:  I hate waiting at carousels!  Some non-negligible amount of times, they announce the wrong number and we're all waiting at the wrong one, or, it seems, one family bag is the absolute last one, etc.  

With a cushion of time and a good eye on my luggage, I'm a completely calm traveler, happy to entertain myself with a book.  But if I were trying to catch a ship that won't wait for me with a dicey transfer, I'd be a pretty taut wire.

6 hours ago, Tattycoram said:

D&N and buchanan101, I seem to be typing too fast (I see there's a grammar error in my last sentence too--I must have edited and left a ghost behind):  I normally would say BA or British Airways.  The suitcase wrinkle was the switch from our BA flight to regional Aer Lingus flights which had a smaller allowance (maybe not as draconian as Ryanair, but I definitely didn't want to push it).

A few times on international flights I've had problems with bags that did not keep up with me--once from Paris to Carcasonne where my suitcase didn't catch up with us on our canal boat until we were almost in Marseille.  Also:  I hate waiting at carousels!  Some non-negligible amount of times, they announce the wrong number and we're all waiting at the wrong one, or, it seems, one family bag is the absolute last one, etc.  

With a cushion of time and a good eye on my luggage, I'm a completely calm traveler, happy to entertain myself with a book.  But if I were trying to catch a ship that won't wait for me with a dicey transfer, I'd be a pretty taut wire.

If you do put bags in the hold I totally recommend AirTags (if you are an Apple user). You know where your bags are… useful too at Brooklyn arrivals… 

I am nowhere disciplined enough to be able to cruise with only carry on. Carry on only works for a 2 or 3 night break for us. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edspec said:

I’ve always arrived day before a cruise and for 20 years that worked great for me. Given the state of flying I’m adding a day from now on to give myself a cushion. On a cruise now and at our departing airport someone maliciously cut lines which affected Southwest and Delta flights. An absolute disaster. I’d have been a basket case had I been flying either and only had that day. To me it’s not worth the chance anymore…all the anticipation joy is gone with stress.

I arrive a day early… living 2.5 hours away from Southampton! 

• Like 1

Just a quick update-

We have decided to take the much appreciated advice of all above and not do a same day arrival connecting from Dublin. But since the opportunity is just too good to pass up, we will be coming in a week early and spending a couple of nights in London then 4 nights in the Cotswold region (never been there). From there we are traveling by train to SH (surprisingly w/o having to go through London) arriving the day before embarkation. Less stress - more fun. We will still be coming in to LHR on the same connecting flight, just a week early. I will be sure to report our experience on clearing LHR.

Thanks again to all.

Jack

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Just a quick update-

We have decided to take the much appreciated advice of all above and not do a same day arrival connecting from Dublin. But since the opportunity is just too good to pass up, we will be coming in a week early and spending a couple of nights in London then 4 nights in the Cotswold region (never been there). From there we are traveling by train to SH (surprisingly w/o having to go through London) arriving the day before embarkation. Less stress - more fun. We will still be coming in to LHR on the same connecting flight, just a week early. I will be sure to report our experience on clearing LHR.

Thanks again to all.

Jack

Sounds like a great plan. Enjoy!

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Just a quick update-

Thanks again to all.

Jack

Cotswolds lovely but parts are like a theme park .. Bourton on the Water for example (though still worth a visit). Broadway likewise, Chipping Camden, Stow, the Slaughters. Cheltenham counts I guess and outside the Cotswolds you have Stratford to the north and Bath to the south which is well worth a visit (Roman Baths etc). Are you getting a hire car as not easy to get round otherwise? 

oh and Oxford and Blenheim before you get to the Cotswolds from London… 

Edited by buchanan101

23 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Are you getting a hire car as not easy to get round otherwise? 

We will not have a car but instead will be taking the train from Paddington to Kingham, about an hour and 20 minutes. Our plan is to base in Kingham and utilize the hiking trails to visit Churchill and Bledington. We will also use the train (short ride) to visit Charlbury, Woodstock and Blenheim Palace.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Just a quick update-

Thanks again to all.

Jack

We did a similar itinerary last summer: five nights in London and five nights in Bath using Bath as a base driving around the Cotswolds, Wells/Glastonbury, and Cardiff, Wales. Then drove to Southhampton the day before the TA and dropped off the car at the Docks.  I had little problem driving in those areas, even the narrow A roads. Just remember you use your left hand with a stick shift. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jack E Dawson said:

We will not have a car but instead will be taking the train from Paddington to Kingham, about an hour and 20 minutes. Our plan is to base in Kingham and utilize the hiking trails to visit Churchill and Bledington. We will also use the train (short ride) to visit Charlbury, Woodstock and Blenheim Palace.

Sorry, I didn’t see that you’re not driving on your England trip. You can ignore my driving comments above…

9 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Just a quick update-

Thanks again to all.

Jack

Even though it is nothing to do with me, I am very relieved you are not attempting the arrival on the day. You will have an excellent time. If you are coming down on the Cross Country Service from Oxford, be aware that it is quite expensive and not particularly reliable. It is worth booking well in advance to get a cheaper ticket, if you can. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks NE John. We rented a car on our first trip to London in 1986. It was quite the experience, and not in a fun way:)

Jack

Despite the undoubted benefits of the congestion charge, it is worse now. But a wonderful place to walk, or travel on the top deck of the buses.

8 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I've stayed in Kingham for short breaks, it's a lovely village. That sounds like a great trip but the station is a little way outside the village. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks NE John. We rented a car on our first trip to London in 1986. It was quite the experience, and not in a fun way:)

Jack

We do have automatics now! And these days they are very good. Wouldn't for a moment suggest hiring a car in London though - public transport there is excellent (but not cheap)... but you may miss out on a lot of the Cotswolds without one - so many beautiful spots (previously mentioned, Bourton on the Water, Stow, Slaughters, Broadway, Chipping Camden) that aren't really reachable by public transport (I think there's a station in Moreton in the Marsh which is close-ish to Stow and Bourton on the Water).  Broadway Tower (a folly) has a great view. Sudeley Castle (one of Henry VIIIs wives' I think). 

Roads there are WAY easier than London - good A and B roads. 

But you'll have a great time I am sure. Cotswolds are a lovely area. When are you going?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I've stayed in Kingham for short breaks, it's a lovely village. That sounds like a great trip but the station is a little way outside the village. 

Just found it on the map - it's not far from Clarkson's Farm Shop, or Stow in the Wold (recommended).

Not the part of the Cotswolds I know (further west is where I have been).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NE John said:

We did a similar itinerary last summer: five nights in London and five nights in Bath using Bath as a base driving around the Cotswolds, Wells/Glastonbury, and Cardiff, Wales. Then drove to Southhampton the day before the TA and dropped off the car at the Docks.  I had little problem driving in those areas, even the narrow A roads. Just remember you use your left hand with a stick shift. 

Or hire an automatic... we do have the technology - both my cars are autos, with excellent seamless shifts

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Or hire an automatic... we do have the technology - both my cars are autos, with excellent seamless shifts

In old school and like a challenge. Lived it. Plus, I’ve driven in Naples, Italy. It doesn’t get worse than that.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NE John said:

In old school and like a challenge. Lived it. Plus, I’ve driven in Naples, Italy. It doesn’t get worse than that.

Yes, but you are still driving on the wrong side there...which is easier for you..

I thought I'd miss a manual but the 8 speed auto on my Alfa Romeo is superb

• Like 2

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

Yes, but you are still driving on the wrong side there...which is easier for you..

I thought I'd miss a manual but the 8 speed auto on my Alfa Romeo is superb

Wait, I thought you guys drove on the wrong side?…

• Haha 2