Help planning my day in London

We will be in London pre cruise.  One day we plan on going to Westminster Abbey (we want to purchase 9:30 am tickets once on sale).  We then want a "fast casual" lunch (nothing too big or fancy or time consuming).  We then plan on getting tickets for the Churchill War Rooms.  Any advise on where to eat and what time to purchase the tickets for the Churchill War Rooms?  One person in our small group eats dairy free so no pizza for them.

Thanks!

One possibility might be the cafe at Central Hall, a meetings and events venue, (but not the modern QEII Centre in the same area), literally across the road from the Abbey and on the way to the War Rooms. Or the Westminster Arms next door if a pub is an option. 

But to guarantee quick and easy, if it’s a sunny day, buy some sandwiches or other picnic food and sit in St James’s Park, across the road from the War Rooms. There is also a cafe in the Park. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

We then want a "fast casual" lunch (nothing too big or fancy or time consuming).

How fast and how casual? As you mention pizza, are you prepared to contemplate sit-down table service in an informal setting?

In any event, there is a planning law in London that stipulates that if you stand outside the front door of any branch of Pret a Manger, you must be able to see at least one other branch. The most convenient one for what you want to do is probably this one (49 Tothill St, SW1H 9LQ).

Another alternative is Farmer J St James's (8-9 Orchard Pl, SW1H 0BG), which does counter service salads (including hot salads).

A sit-down bistro-type place that I would recommend is Chez Antoinette Victoria (22 Palmer St, SW1H 0PH).

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

One person in our small group eats dairy free so no pizza for them.

That shouldn't rule out pizza. You can get plenty of dairy-free pizza. At worst, many (probably most) pizza places will be geared up to do vegan versions, but some places might offer non-vegan but non-dairy. One possibility for a pizza would be the Pizza Express at 85 Victoria St, SW1H 0HW.

• Haha 3

Thanks for the ideas.  We definitely want a place that has tables to sit down.  In the US, fast casual is usually places where you place your order at a counter, pay for it, then go sit down at a table and they bring the food to you.

Any suggestions of how much time minimum to allow before we pick a time for the War Rooms?  I was thinking if we did the Abbey at 9:30 and they say to allow 90 minutes-2 hours then maybe do the War rooms at 2 pm which would allow us plenty of time to get lunch and get there a little early?  I did the Abbey in 2017 but don't remember how much time we spent there.  Our traveling companion has never been.  

It was so much easier when we were in London in 2017.  We did purchase some advance tickets but didn't have to pick a time!

3 hours ago, dickinson said:

Thanks for the ideas.  We definitely want a place that has tables to sit down.  In the US, fast casual is usually places where you place your order at a counter, pay for it, then go sit down at a table and they bring the food to you.

Any suggestions of how much time minimum to allow before we pick a time for the War Rooms?  I was thinking if we did the Abbey at 9:30 and they say to allow 90 minutes-2 hours then maybe do the War rooms at 2 pm which would allow us plenty of time to get lunch and get there a little early?  I did the Abbey in 2017 but don't remember how much time we spent there.  Our traveling companion has never been.  

It was so much easier when we were in London in 2017.  We did purchase some advance tickets but didn't have to pick a time!

At Westminster Abbey, new (I believe) since 2017,  The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries, for which there is an additional £5 charge. I was there in 2019 and found it fascinating. I think I spent at least 45 minutes up there.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/visit-us/plan-your-visit/the-queen-s-diamond-jubilee-galleries

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dickinson said:

We definitely want a place that has tables to sit down.  In the US, fast casual is usually places where you place your order at a counter, pay for it, then go sit down at a table and they bring the food to you.

I think that here, that model is most often seen in pubs and similar places. Otherwise, it's generally either being served at the counter and taking the food to your table yourself (including at sandwich shops like Pret), or table service. So it sounds like the latter may be more what you're looking for anyway.

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

At Westminster Abbey, new (I believe) since 2017,  The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries, for which there is an additional £5 charge. I was there in 2019 and found it fascinating. I think I spent at least 45 minutes up there.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/visit-us/plan-your-visit/the-queen-s-diamond-jubilee-galleries

Interesting!  Looks like you have to choose a time to visit the Abbey and another time to visit this gallery.  I wonder if you can go back down to the Abbey to finish the tour there that you interrupted to go up to the gallery.

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I think that here, that model is most often seen in pubs and similar places. Otherwise, it's generally either being served at the counter and taking the food to your table yourself (including at sandwich shops like Pret), or table service. So it sounds like the latter may be more what you're looking for anyway.

Getting food at the counter but then going to sit at a table would be fine too.  It is going on a picnic or eating outside while walking around that is not appealing!

2 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Interesting!  Looks like you have to choose a time to visit the Abbey and another time to visit this gallery.  I wonder if you can go back down to the Abbey to finish the tour there that you interrupted to go up to the gallery.

I think so. Once you come back down into the main Abbey you are free to wander. You might consider booking the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries first, and then spend time in the Abbey.

43 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I think so. Once you come back down into the main Abbey you are free to wander. You might consider booking the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries first, and then spend time in the Abbey.

Thanks but to purchase tickets each requires you to pick a time. Is the gallery a separate entrance?  If not then we would need to enter the Abbey first with the time we pick.  I assume that once inside there is a place to go up to the gallery where they check your ticket for the time you picked?  Trying to visualize how it works.

46 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Thanks but to purchase tickets each requires you to pick a time. Is the gallery a separate entrance?  If not then we would need to enter the Abbey first with the time we pick.  I assume that once inside there is a place to go up to the gallery where they check your ticket for the time you picked?  Trying to visualize how it works.

When I did it I was on a walking tour of the Abbey (with walks.com). At the end, I walked over to the entrance to the galleries right in the Abbey, paid my £5 and went up to the galleries. But it was pre-Covid so I don’t know what might have changed. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I highly recommend this as well. It was very interesting and worth the modest charge just to see the floor of the Abbey from above. 

I would also recommend a Verger Tour of the Abbey, if the timing works out for your visit. It was fantastic. 

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/visit-us/guided-tours

Edited by Turtles06

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dickinson said:

The Diamond Jubilee Galleries are entered from inside the Abbey (not a separate exterior entrance).  I just went back to look at the timed tickets we had purchased for the Fall of 2018 (I don't know if the timing is different now).  We'd booked a timeslot to enter the Abbey of 9:30am-11:30am, and we booked tickets for the Galleries for an entrance of 10am-10:15am. 

We took a Verger Tour as well (see my comment above).  My recollection (and I could be wrong) is that we entered the Abbey at 9:30, we went immediately to the desk where we could book a Verger Tour and booked one for after our Diamond Jubilee Galleries visit, allowing a decent time for that. 

We had booked tickets for that same afternoon for the Churchill War Rooms at 3pm (I just checked my file), which allowed us to spend an unrushed morning in the Abbey, wander off toward the War Rooms, and, before visiting the War Rooms, have lunch at a pub nearby.

So I think you are pretty much on the right track with your timing, but you may want to book the War Rooms for 3pm rather than 2pm.  So you are not rushing yourself.

The War Rooms are fascinating, you'll probably spend more time there than you think.

Overall, it's a great day in London!   

Edited to add: an even greater day if you add the London Eye.  🙂 

Edited by Turtles06

As Globaliser said, Pret will do you if you just want a sandwich, something very quick and simple. Otherwise lots of excellent pubs nearby - Two Chairmen and Red Lion are famous for their parliamentary histories (and gossip) The Phoenix near Victoria was always good for an express set lunch. Strutton Ground has a great food market and small independent cafes - there’s a great fish & chip shop but be prepared to queue if it’s a weekday lunchtime. 

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The Diamond Jubilee Galleries are entered from inside the Abbey (not a separate exterior entrance).  I just went back to look at the timed tickets we had purchased for the Fall of 2018 (I don't know if the timing is different now).  We'd booked a timeslot to enter the Abbey of 9:30am-11:30am, and we booked tickets for the Galleries for an entrance of 10am-10:15am. 

We took a Verger Tour as well (see my comment above).  My recollection (and I could be wrong) is that we entered the Abbey at 9:30, we went immediately to the desk where we could book a Verger Tour and booked one for after our Diamond Jubilee Galleries visit, allowing a decent time for that. 

We had booked tickets for that same afternoon for the Churchill War Rooms at 3pm (I just checked my file), which allowed us to spend an unrushed morning in the Abbey, wander off toward the War Rooms, and, before visiting the War Rooms, have lunch at a pub nearby.

So I think you are pretty much on the right track with your timing, but you may want to book the War Rooms for 3pm rather than 2pm.  So you are not rushing yourself.

The War Rooms are fascinating, you'll probably spend more time there than you think.

Overall, it's a great day in London!   

Edited to add: an even greater day if you add the London Eye.  🙂 

Sounds really nice!  I went to your link and found this: 

General admittance tickets to the Abbey can be purchased in advance online but a verger tour can only be booked when you arrive at the Abbey.

When booking your tickets to the Abbey, please try to book your entry slot 30 minutes or so before the tour is due to start.

Previously it said that we can contact them 24 hours in advance to see what times the Verger tours are.  Not sure how we can book entry to Abbey 30 minutes before Verger tour if we won't know what times they are til 24 hours in advance!  Catch 22.  Will have to do a little more research on that.

I appreciate all your info.  Thanks 🙂

14 minutes ago, dickinson said:

Sounds really nice!  I went to your link and found this: 

General admittance tickets to the Abbey can be purchased in advance online but a verger tour can only be booked when you arrive at the Abbey.

When booking your tickets to the Abbey, please try to book your entry slot 30 minutes or so before the tour is due to start.

Previously it said that we can contact them 24 hours in advance to see what times the Verger tours are.  Not sure how we can book entry to Abbey 30 minutes before Verger tour if we won't know what times they are til 24 hours in advance!  Catch 22.  Will have to do a little more research on that.

I appreciate all your info.  Thanks 🙂

You're most welcome.

The advice on the Abbey's web site about booking your entry to the Abbey 30 minutes or so before a Verger Tour really means don't book your entrance later than that.  You can certainly arrive as early as you want (and walk around the Abbey on your own if you have time).  

Given your plan to see both the Abbey and the Churchill War Rooms the same day (which is a good plan and very do-able as my own experience showed), my suggestion would be to book your entrance to the Abbey as you'd planned it, for 9:30am, and then go immediately to the desk where you can book a Verger Tour, and pick one for the time that suits your schedule. 

Enjoy your trip!

• Thanks 1