Live: Queen Anne Maiden Voyage.

Colin_Cameron

Posted (edited)

@Solent Richard (or any others onboard) How are you finding the included dining experience and which dining room are you using? There were reports of excessive delays earlier in the cruise in (I think) the Britannia Dining room. We have booked Britannia Club and I haven’t seen any comments regarding that yet. Also, nobody has mentioned the food yet (other than the pay extra venues), which I am guessing is a good sign! Thanks. 

Edited by Selbourne

6 minutes ago, tacticalbanjo said:

I watched Georgina Jackson in the Queens Room last night and quite enjoyed myself. A big downside is that there are pillars everywhere which block the view. The room has a retro vibe that wouldn’t miss a bit of Perspex!

I can see myself using the room a lot more than I even did before. I know that the changes will upset the dancers but probably not the beancounters because there were plenty of people buying drinks. 

It won't suit the dancers and that's a real shame but selfishly, it's good news for us as we liked the occasional evening entertainment in QV's Queens room.

• Like 1

Just now, Colin_Cameron said:

It seems I'm not alone in my thinking that the Queen's Room is not large enough. Tonight's World Club party is to be held in the Pavilion, by the pool.

I dislike the Queens Room on here as well, however, I think the above is to promote the new venue. 

The Pavilion is something Cunard have seemed to be pushing, in my eyes anyway.

I’m not sure how everyone else will feel about being kicked out of there on a sea day to make space for us all, though. 

46 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I dislike the Queens Room on here as well, however, I think the above is to promote the new venue. 

The Pavilion is something Cunard have seemed to be pushing, in my eyes anyway.

I’m not sure how everyone else will feel about being kicked out of there on a sea day to make space for us all, though. 

Probably also because there is an exceptionally high number of Diamond and Platinum members onboard for this voyage. Other times it may be fine. 

Just now, Winifred 22 said:

Probably also because there is an exceptionally high number of Diamond and Platinum members onboard for this voyage. Other times it may be fine. 

There are 3 separate parties this voyage, so yes, definitely a lot haha. 

2 hours ago, tacticalbanjo said:

I watched Georgina Jackson in the Queens Room last night and quite enjoyed myself. A big downside is that there are pillars everywhere which block the view.

We watched this and enjoyed it as well, and agree about the pillars.  I can see this being a useful second entertainment venue. 

Maybe we shouldn't be comparing to the other ships but Cunard have invited the comparison by branding the ship as a Cunard Queen and labelling this as The Queen's Room. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

We watched this and enjoyed it as well, and agree about the pillars.  I can see this being a useful second entertainment venue. 

Maybe we shouldn't be comparing to the other ships but Cunard have invited the comparison by branding the ship as a Cunard Queen and labelling this as The Queen's Room. 

Can you imagine the outrage if they hadn’t had a QR? 😀

Quite honestly, given what people are like, lots will complain over everything that is different from any of the other ships, and lots more over anything that is the same. I hate to think of the comments there would have been if social media had existed when the first QM replaced the Mauritania, though even then there would have been others complaining she was old fashioned compared to the Normandie (which she was).

Despite everything, I am still looking forward to embarking on Friday…I think.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 3

Where to begin?

Well I had read the posts prior to the QA entering service about the promenade but I thought, it can't be that bad, surely?   Well those criticisms were just.  It is narrow, makes doing circuits difficult if there are others at a different pace for you.  Also I expected to find the builder's plaque forwards on the promenade, I'm sure the QV has hers there but there is nothing.  

I think if you are familiar and used to the other Cunarders this will come as quite a jolt.  Someone in the design team said, "let's go all in on dark navy blue".  It is everywhere and does make the ship seem very dark and lacking warmth (not helped by the air con blasting icy cold air at times).  The restaurants are all brighter (I guess so you can see your food) but perhaps apart from the atrium and the drawing room/card room I just find the ship dark and gloomy.  I haven't walked into a room/space and not felt underwhelmed by the look and feel and that leaves me so disappointed. 

The Queens Room is poor, like an after thought and much smaller than I thought it would be. Just a thoroughfare now rather than a "room". And what is it with those strange bird cage style seats?   Very wierd.

There are lots of bars, everywhere. I guess they want you buying those expensive drinks and drinks packages.

The upper deck has been cleaved in two to provide a much larger Grills terrace at the rear so there seems to be less deck space for non Grills passengers and you can't get anywhere near the funnel for a photograph, which I would want to take a photo of. 

The Britannia Club restaurant I was told could seat 370 guests, more than the grills.  I assume he meant grills combined?   Anyway so the Club is a large restaurant now and has lost its cosier, more exclusive feel on the other ships.  

Also the Cunard shop is a tiny little circular spaced area off from the main shops which seem to have been given over to selling perfumes and scents.  The cabinet of curiosites thing is just curious, seems a gimmick. And whilst there was a book shop on the early deck plans by the library (which is small and doesn't have many bookcases) is now the kid's zone. 

I feel I am being over critical here but I just don't like the design with the dark colours and gold or bronze for the metalwork.  I guess I am used to the other Cunarders and feel more at home there.  If I had been blindfolded and placed on this ship I wouldn't know it was a Cunarder.  Perhaps that is the intention, to be a fresh start but it isn't for me. I have two QA cruises booked, one is with friends who want to try her so will have to do that but the other I will switch. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You will have a great time. The ship is lovely with beautiful big windows to flood the interior with light. We’ve enjoyed the entertainment in the evening. The fish and chips has not been meddled with. 

I’m still not super impressed at being sat at a table for two with three diners albeit one being pint sized and the waits for service can be rather long. It’s almost as if Cunard have never managed a large scale catering operation before! But the food is excellent when we get it and I’m sure the teething issues will be resolved soon. 

All in all I’m excited to come back next November. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

How are you finding the included dining experience ... reports of excessive delays earlier in the cruise 

Things are improving. Slowly, but they are improving.

Last night, night three, there was no queue to get into second sitting. The tablet/pad ordering system (used by the waiters, not the passengers) seems very hit or miss. Sometimes they're all using it,  sometimes they're all back to pencil and paper, and sometimes it's a mixture.

The food itself has been good, with the exception of a bowl of cold soup last night which was promptly replaced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, richard_london said:

for non Grills passengers and you can't get anywhere near the funnel for a photograph

I disagree with a lot of what you’ve mentioned, but that’s due to personal opinion.

However, the quoted is completely wrong. We’ve never been able to go closer to the funnel on any other Cunard ship, regardless of Grills’ status. 

I’m happy to go to the spot and take a photo should you wish. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, richard_london said:

Where to begin?

Well I had read the posts prior to the QA entering service about the promenade but I thought, it can't be that bad, surely?   Well those criticisms were just.  It is narrow, makes doing circuits difficult if there are others at a different pace for you.  Also I expected to find the builder's plaque forwards on the promenade, I'm sure the QV has hers there but there is nothing.  

I think if you are familiar and used to the other Cunarders this will come as quite a jolt.  Someone in the design team said, "let's go all in on dark navy blue".  It is everywhere and does make the ship seem very dark and lacking warmth (not helped by the air con blasting icy cold air at times).  The restaurants are all brighter (I guess so you can see your food) but perhaps apart from the atrium and the drawing room/card room I just find the ship dark and gloomy.  I haven't walked into a room/space and not felt underwhelmed by the look and feel and that leaves me so disappointed. 

The Queens Room is poor, like an after thought and much smaller than I thought it would be. Just a thoroughfare now rather than a "room". And what is it with those strange bird cage style seats?   Very wierd.

There are lots of bars, everywhere. I guess they want you buying those expensive drinks and drinks packages.

The upper deck has been cleaved in two to provide a much larger Grills terrace at the rear so there seems to be less deck space for non Grills passengers and you can't get anywhere near the funnel for a photograph, which I would want to take a photo of. 

The Britannia Club restaurant I was told could seat 370 guests, more than the grills.  I assume he meant grills combined?   Anyway so the Club is a large restaurant now and has lost its cosier, more exclusive feel on the other ships.  

Also the Cunard shop is a tiny little circular spaced area off from the main shops which seem to have been given over to selling perfumes and scents.  The cabinet of curiosites thing is just curious, seems a gimmick. And whilst there was a book shop on the early deck plans by the library (which is small and doesn't have many bookcases) is now the kid's zone. 

I feel I am being over critical here but I just don't like the design with the dark colours and gold or bronze for the metalwork.  I guess I am used to the other Cunarders and feel more at home there.  If I had been blindfolded and placed on this ship I wouldn't know it was a Cunarder.  Perhaps that is the intention, to be a fresh start but it isn't for me. I have two QA cruises booked, one is with friends who want to try her so will have to do that but the other I will switch. 

So is there anything that isn’t dreadful?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Can you imagine the outrage if they hadn’t had a QR? 😀

Quite honestly, given what people are like, lots will complain over everything that is different from any of the other ships, and lots more over anything that is the same. I hate to think of the comments there would have been if social media had existed when the first QM replaced the Mauritania, though even then there would have been others complaining she was old fashioned compared to the Normandie (which she was).

We can meet up to compare notes.

• Like 1

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Two almost contrasting thoughts within the space of  five minutes.

I'll go with the positive and if tacticalbanjo  is looking forward to their next booking, then that buoys me up for our first.

It really is a great ship, and we’ve had a really positive experience.

We are on the younger side, so maybe that’s why, as maybe we fall into part of the group Cunard are trying to attract with this ship. 

In my case, Queen Mary 2 is my favourite Queen. I’ve done the others, but she’s always been by “go to”

However, after 3 days I think Queen Mary 2 for me will now be for transatlantic and special voyages, and Queen Anne for longer trips.

We’re currently looking into spending summer on her this year as we did with Queen Mary 2 last year. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MylesS said:

It really is a great ship, and we’ve had a really positive experience.

We are on the younger side, so maybe that’s why, as maybe we fall into part of the group Cunard are trying to attract with this ship. 

In my case, Queen Mary 2 is my favourite Queen. I’ve done the others, but she’s always been by “go to”

However, after 3 days I think Queen Mary 2 for me will now be for transatlantic and special voyages, and Queen Anne for longer trips.

We’re currently looking into spending summer on her this year as we did with Queen Mary 2 last year. 

Thx

We most def can't be called part of the younger set and as I don't like QM2 and we're not flying at the moment, we have no choice.

My cup is always half full and it takes a lot to drain it to empty.

Thank you for filling it up past half way.🙂

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

So is there anything that isn’t dreadful?

It isn't dreadful.  It is just not for me.  I've heard good and bad onboard and will expect to see the same on here. 

The postives are the bathrooms and nice and modern and finally have glass screens instead of shower curtains.  They feel more up to date. 

The tech in the room is also good.  You have USB A and C sockets on both side of the bed and each has a US plug and one has a UK.  The desk has both USBs too.  The television links to your account so you can see that on the screen and there is a lot more content, quite an extensive library of films and television. 

Balcony is a decent depth so you can sit and face outwards to sea and not have to sit sideways. 

The buffet, pretty much everything is behind glass screens and you get served so seems much better and tidier. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, MylesS said:

However, the quoted is completely wrong. We’ve never been able to go closer to the funnel on any other Cunard ship, regardless of Grills’ status. 

I meant standing under it and looking up at it, where the name Queen Anne is in big letters. Like you can do on deck 12 on the QM2 or Grills terrace on QV. 

20 minutes ago, richard_london said:

Do I take it from this comment that you are dining in Britannia Club? If so, aside from the restaurant size, how are you finding the food and service (we are booked in BC on QA for two cruises). Thanks. 

Just now, richard_london said:

I meant standing under it and looking up at it, where the name Queen Anne is in big letters. Like you can do on deck 12 on the QM2 or Grills terrace on QV. 

Yes, you can do that on here regardless of what cabin category you’re in

Thanks to everyone for taking the time out from their voyage to post. I’m enjoying reading all the comments and I think it is safe to say that I would rather be on QA right now than sitting here in dreary, chill and wet West Berkshire on a bank holiday Monday!  Based on what I’ve read and seen so far, I think I’d probably like some things and not others, so I remain agnostic at the moment. On QM2 in a few weeks so probably going to spend this afternoon looking for a future voyage to book whilst on board. Who knows, it may be QA - keeping an open mind but I do wish Cunard would bring QE back to the UK…

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, MylesS said:

I disagree with a lot of what you’ve mentioned, but that’s due to personal opinion.

I’m happy to go to the spot and take a photo should you wish. 

I'm with Myles on everything here.

20240505_135439.thumb.jpg.55bfc80cd9d24cad017e16a8594364a0.jpg

Edit to add that the photo I have from below, looking up is a portrait one so will probably turn sideways if I post it.

Edited by Colin_Cameron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1