Rice cooker - is it prohibited in cruise?

I thought I clearly stated that Agriculture Department (state/country) has final say on what can be brought OFF the ship.  Every countries’ website will list prohibited items. 

i travel between Oahu and California often enough.  Hawaii and California have very stringent agricultural rules.  It is probably best to state that anything raw or untreated/unprocessed cannot/should not be removed from the ship.  If the item can support a living organisms, then it most likely will be banned.

53 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree that cr8tv missed the point.  No port cares if you take food on board.  No risk to them for that.  The ship doesn't care as they are isolated.

The ports do care about a passenger bringing something that could disrupt their agriculture.  Could be anything from pollen in honey to insects hiding in flowers or grain.

18 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

A couple of times, I have asked security on the ship AND on my way through the terminal about returning with food.  

Saint John and Halifax:  I asked port security if I could bring back my lobster roll.  They looked at me strangely and told me it would be fine.

In Japan, I asked if I could bring back dried abalone to the ship and back into the US.  They told me I would be able to.  Just to be sure, I used a translating app to ask the Japanese official.  Unfortunately, I could not find any abalone.

It is written in NCL policy that you are not allowed to bring back food (just found this out recently).

I do it all the time from island to island (on a cruise ship).  That may be a little different since we remained in the same state.  Coco Puffs, mochi, lilikoi pie, cookies, etc.

Meats, dairy, raw fruits/vegetables, raw eggs, and plants with soil are restricted items when leaving the ship and entering a foreign country.  It has more to do with agricultural restrictions.  

I am not an expert, but do check websites or ask official personnel when traveling.  I don't see rice as being an issue.  And that is easy to purchase as a sealed product.  I suggest that you freeze the bag of rice to kill any insects that were in the bag.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2024 at 4:01 AM, Essiesmom said:

they will confiscate it on boarding, you would get it back at the end of the cruise

If the cruise isn't a round trip cruise, I'm not sure that's true.  Cruises I've been on that people had items confiscated, could pick the up in the terminal when they return on round trip cruises.  I doubt they'd transport a prohibited item onboard the ship just to return it.  

On 5/4/2024 at 4:24 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

You can bring food ON, but you can't take it OFF (unless in original sealed package)...but why? The ship has food.

It depends on the port. I purchased a large clam chowder at a restaurant, near the end of the pier in Monterey, CA and took the tender to the ship. Once I stepped off the tender, they asked me what I had and when I said soup, they basically said no soup for you… and took my large piping hot clam chowder. It wasn’t cheap and I bet you anything someone ate it. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 8:10 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Agree that cr8tv missed the point.  No port cares if you take food on board.  No risk to them for that.  The ship doesn't care as they are isolated.

The ports do care about a passenger bringing something that could disrupt their agriculture.  Could be anything from pollen in honey to insects hiding in flowers or grain.

Many ports now care if you take food onboard.  In both San Francisco and Los Angeles with a trash can of food being brought onboard.  Maybe it’s a California thing but yes, if unsealed or restaurant food is identified, you will be asked to scrap it!  

17 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

It depends on the port. I purchased a large clam chowder at a restaurant, near the end of the pier in Monterey, CA and took the tender to the ship. Once I stepped off the tender, they asked me what I had and when I said soup, they basically said no soup for you… and took my large piping hot clam chowder. It wasn’t cheap and I bet you anything someone ate it. 

Interesting. So you can bring food on the tender but not the mother ship...

• Haha 1

I’m sure the OP was asking a serious question and no need to make fun of him/her.  
No harm in trying to save some money on the land portion of a cruise tour  while eating the foods one is used to having where it might not otherwise be available.  
I have been to Asian restaurants where one serving of brown rice is available for $10 extra .. so, with tip, that an extra $25 per couple.  That’s crazy!  I’m not cheap when it comes to tipping but I will try to find a bargain while traveling.