Drinks package/policy changes?

Ooh, not claiming this is true yet, apparently it was sent to a travel agent from P&O... 

The big change is at the bottom, only wine and Champagne allowed to be taken on board, no spirits!!! 

Let's see how this pans out. 

Andy 

Screenshot_20240504_091041.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ooh, not claiming this is true yet, apparently it was sent to a travel agent from P&O... 

The big change is at the bottom, only wine and Champagne allowed to be taken on board, no spirits!!! 

Let's see how this pans out. 

Andy 

Screenshot_20240504_091041.jpg

As everyone is saying the last sentence does not make sense. Await further news. 

• Like 7

Had the package on our last cruise when it was on a 20% offer and it still wasn’t worth it for us. 
How would it work with embarkation security as I thought this was done by customs 🤔 

How are people who pour it into fruit shoot bottles then add it to their glass of cola in the bar going to cope (Arcadia Oct 23) 🤔🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

As everyone is saying the last sentence does not make sense. Await further news. 

Yes, I am only getting this passed down the line as I don't do fb, like a lot of members on here, so not seeing what 'everyone' is saying. 

Just thought the rest of us might be interested, but as you say, let's await further news. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Just now, Dobbers said:

Had the package on our last cruise when it was on a 20% offer and it still wasn’t worth it for us. 
How would it work with embarkation security as I thought this was done by customs 🤔 

How are people who pour it into fruit shoot bottles then add it to their glass of cola in the bar going to cope (Arcadia Oct 23) 🤔🤣

We did see lots of people with hip flasks and even bottles of spirits blatantly pouring it into the coke they had bought in the bar. 

As always, a few spoil it for the many. 

Andy 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Just posted on your other thread Andy about this policy, but have just seen this thread.

Yes, sorry, I thought this topic might need it's own stage. 

Andy 

• Like 2

Thankfully this wouldn’t affect us as the drinks packages wouldn’t be cost effective for us even before the price increase, and we never take alcohol on board with us. However, I note that spirits cannot be taken on board during embarkation, so presumably those who like a tipple in their cabin could buy a bottle at the first port? Alternatively pack a bottle carefully in their main luggage as this isn’t checked. I appreciate that’s a risk, but we always bring our freebie bottle of champagne home in our luggage (carefully wrapped) and, touch wood, it’s never smashed. 

• Like 3

Bad grammar alert.  First section is in the first person 'we', but second section is in the third person 'their'.

Also, the random apostrophe in drink's packages.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yes, sorry, I thought this topic might need it's own stage. 

Andy 

Yes definitely!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thankfully this wouldn’t affect us as the drinks packages wouldn’t be cost effective for us even before the price increase, and we never take alcohol on board with us. However, I note that spirits cannot be taken on board during embarkation, so presumably those who like a tipple in their cabin could buy a bottle at the first port?

You can buy a bottle of spirits from room service to drink in your cabin. It is not terrifically more expensive than supermarkets. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

We did see lots of people with hip flasks

As P&O have restricted drinks so much now and no longer have Chambord in the bars we are tempted to take it in a hip flask to add to Prosecco to create Kir Royale. They also no longer do many cocktails including French Martini. 

P&O is a business and this was always going to happen once the race to the bottom started.

It’s always seemed mad to me that people are so desperate to save £3-4 that they bother taking on a bottle anyway rather than just getting a bottle delivered to the cabin and I dislike the constant Facebook threads about how to smuggle more on.

It seems a little tragic that some are thinking of smuggling on something because P&O don’t sell it too, just drink something that they do sell or if it’s that important cruise with a line that sells what you want.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

P&O is a business and this was always going to happen once the race to the bottom started.

It’s always seemed mad to me that people are so desperate to save £3-4 that they bother taking on a bottle anyway rather than just getting a bottle delivered to the cabin and I dislike the constant Facebook threads about how to smuggle more on.

It seems a little tragic that some are thinking of smuggling on something because P&O don’t sell it too, just drink something that they do sell or if it’s that important cruise with a line that sells what you want.

I agree. I've always thought it odd that people will spend thousands of pounds to go on a cruise then go to inordinate lengths to save a few pounds onboard.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

The cocktails and liqueurs that P&O now have are very limited. Gins however are in abundance. 

3 minutes ago, Denarius said:

I agree. I've always thought it odd that people will spend thousands of pounds to go on a cruise then go to inordinate lengths to save a few pounds onboard.

Some folk are like that . We had a couple sat near us in the buffet who whipped out

a couple of Tupperware boxes proceeded to make up a packed lunch.

A taxi driver once commented to us ,how he found it strange that folk will pay 

for a cruise and train fares (That are not cheap) and even an expensive case .

Then decide to drag it a fair distance ,rather than part with a few quid for a taxi .🤔

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

In my husband’s case it isn’t a question of saving money - it’s about the available selection. He likes a whisky on the balcony (or an aquavit in Norway!) in the evening but he is particular about the variety so preferred to bring his own. It’s not a deal breaker but it is a bit annoying not to be able to do that next time. He’ll live, but I guess it is a small diminishment of a holiday pleasure!

• Like 6

I can see both sides to this issue , however in relation to choice , a very popular whisky ran out within three weeks of our world cruise and was never replenished , despite various port stops where it could have been , and if you don’t drink gin (I don’t ) the onboard offers were very restrictive, the only other whiskey offered was top end malts which I don’t particularly like . I took onboard one bottle of my preferred whiskey and bought another whilst on board before it ran out , however with just the one drink on the balcony pre dinner it soon ran out , and I was unable to purchase any from any bars for the remainder of the cruise. If this new policy is implemented it is to be hoped the onboard stocks are sufficient to satisfy demand 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

It's not a matter of paying the '£3 or £4 more', it's drinking what you prefer, which they don't sell. We are on holiday after all. 

Also, we booked this cruise as, at the time, you could take spirits onboard with you. Now the goalposts have moved after booking. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, daz1107 said:

It's not a matter of paying the '£3 or £4 more', it's drinking what you prefer, which they don't sell. We are on holiday after all. 

Also, we booked this cruise as, at the time, you could take spirits onboard with you. Now the goalposts have moved after booking. 

Will you be cruising on a line that sells your preferred drink in future instead?

Just now, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Will you be cruising on a line that sells your preferred drink in future instead?

No, because none of the cruise lines sell my preferred whiskies, hence why I booked one that allowed me to take some with me.... but have now decided, after booking, that I can no longer do this. 

I get it, this isn't important to you, but to others, it is. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I can see both sides to this issue , however in relation to choice , a very popular whisky ran out within three weeks of our world cruise and was never replenished , despite various port stops where it could have been , and if you don’t drink gin (I don’t ) the onboard offers were very restrictive, the only other whiskey offered was top end malts which I don’t particularly like . I took onboard one bottle of my preferred whiskey and bought another whilst on board before it ran out , however with just the one drink on the balcony pre dinner it soon ran out , and I was unable to purchase any from any bars for the remainder of the cruise. If this new policy is implemented it is to be hoped the onboard stocks are sufficient to satisfy demand 

I can see both sides too, I am surprised it hasn't happened before now as I can't think of another cruise company we have used that allows a litre of spirits per person. We usually take a couple of litres of rum but I think we will muddle through. A bit like parties when I was a youth, sup the beer and spirits first, move on to the sherry and cheap Spanish wine then attack the cupboard under the sink to see if any cleaning products have alcohol in them.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I can see both sides too, I am surprised it hasn't happened before now as I can't think of another cruise company we have used that allows a litre of spirits per person. We usually take a couple of litres of rum but I think we will muddle through. A bit like parties when I was a youth, sup the beer and spirits first, move on to the sherry and cheap Spanish wine then attack the cupboard under the sink to see if any cleaning products have alcohol in them.

For info only, Marella allow you to basically take whatever you like on board, at any time of the cruise. 

Ahh, the memories of happy days of hunting for booze at parties.... 

4 minutes ago, daz1107 said:

For info only, Marella allow you to basically take whatever you like on board, at any time of the cruise. 

Ahh, the memories of happy days of hunting for booze at parties.... 

Aren't they all inclusive? 

If so, not surprised they let you take on any alcohol, it will save them money. 

Andy 

• Like 2