Another Dress Code Question

bkalmans

7 minutes ago, benjaminnicholas said:

As a simple data point, on Polaris (expedition), in the two reservation eateries, they were making comment on people coming to dinner in black jeans, but still allowing them to sit.

Who is “they” ??

was it embarkation day?

8 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Who is “they” ??

was it embarkation day?

The crew member working the front door of the restaurant.

Basically, their version of a maitre'd

No, it was well into the iten.

I think it’s a shame that Viking staff members are put in the position of having to monitor the behavior of adults.  The dress code is posted at the entrance to the restaurants.  Just follow the simple rules.  Put on a pair of pants and leave the ball caps in your cabin.  

• Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 8:52 PM, DrKoob said:

We were long-time main dining room people. Like for 30+ cruises (on other lines). We think the noise level is from the low ceilings as opposed to most ocean ships where the ceilings are very high. 

One other thing we have discovered is that we eat less. In the MDR, it takes so long between courses and while waiting to order that we just eat bread. Lots of bread. In the World Cafe we get what we want, can hear each other and that's it. Great servers up there that kept our wine glasses full or brought us cocktails. Never got to eat outside. Where we were, it was just too hot. Hope to next month when we sail on Venus.

I think the noise level is the result of the drink package (or free beer and wine with meals). That’s why it’s quiet early in the evening and unbearable as the night wears on.

7 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I think the noise level is the result of the drink package (or free beer and wine with meals). That’s why it’s quiet early in the evening and unbearable as the night wears on.

I agree with Hockeyump. That's not it at all. I have NEVER seen anyone over imbibe on Viking. They are a pretty sedate crowd. It's the low ceilings. Nothing to do with booze.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hockeyump said:

Disagree and that's very judgemental. We have been sat close to noisy diners who were not taking advantage of alcohol. 

Agree here.... there are some people that are just so oblivious to their surroundings and they are LOUD everywhere they go.  Nothing to do with drinking.

10 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I agree with Hockeyump. That's not it at all. I have NEVER seen anyone over imbibe on Viking. They are a pretty sedate crowd. It's the low ceilings. Nothing to do with booze.

Very true.  Occasionally you see a few people travelling together or newly acquainted in the Explorer Lounge later in the evening "having a lot of fun together" but they are not over the top... just feeling good.  

It is the low ceilings IMO and the tables are too close together.

Thank goodness they don't play loud music like the neighbourhood restaurants at home play.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, benjaminnicholas said:

Oh, I've seen plenty of older drunks on Viking expedition and ocean ships.

Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they don't exist.

I didn't think that you knew it was me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think part of the noise issue is there a enough people that are hard of hearing that it raises the level above 'normal'.  Also, the larger tables don't help.