LIVE: British Isle Explorer - May 9, 2024 - Neptune

We enjoyed yesterday in Greenwich.  How lucky are we with these few gorgeous spring days in London.  70 today when we board the Neptune.  The photo is a view of theIMG_3567.thumb.jpeg.40fecf4ade9d89d2da2183cf1d1c6716.jpeg Royal Naval Academy taken from the Queen’s House.

• Like 5

On 5/7/2024 at 5:20 PM, Moby_Spout said:

About the British Museum...Sorry your guide was a bit of a dud, DesertCruiser. Are there any tips, etc for visiting there? We're heading to BI in summer.

So happy you all are on the water and ready for adventure!

We survived it was just our first full day in London and reviews were exceptional. I am hoping that it was an exception to the rule for the company. Tip- if someone says great, note name of guide and request if possible. We were there during a school day and there were many school tours besides the 1000s of tourists. I suggest decide what is most important to see and go there first at opening. 

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 7:37 PM, Peregrina651 said:

Some clarification for readers.  Desertcruiser post her comments in the May 19 roll call. With two threads in different forums, it sometimes happens this way. 

I apologize for not sharing a link to the comment. 

So sorry didn’t see this new thread. You may have to give me a lesson on ship. 😁

• Like 1

After a long cab ride from central London to the Cutty Sark, or actually the Gipsy moth, everything was a breeze checking in.  They had Viking agents stationed everywhere from the Gipsy Moth to the checkin building (not a tent).  Easy check in, then a big kerfuffle— they had our package of excursion tix, but no room keys.  So the agent accompanied us to the ship, we met with Guest services manager who told us there were no room cards because we had been upgraded from a PV1 to a PS1— no idea why.  All our luggage was tagged for our original PV cabin, but by 2:30 everything had been sorted and all the luggage arrived at our new cabin on deck 8.  We may just watch the sail away from deck 8 after all as we are on the port side (rather than from Explorers Lounge.)  Nice first day!

• Like 12

6 hours ago, DesertCruiser2000 said:

So sorry didn’t see this new thread. You may have to give me a lesson on ship. 😁

No problem!

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

So the agent accompanied us to the ship, we met with Guest services manager who told us there were no room cards because we had been upgraded from a PV1 to a PS1— no idea why.  

SWEET!

A visit from the upgrade fairy!!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

After a long cab ride from central London to the Cutty Sark, or actually the Gipsy moth, everything was a breeze checking in.  They had Viking agents stationed everywhere from the Gipsy Moth to the checkin building (not a tent).  Easy check in, then a big kerfuffle— they had our package of excursion tix, but no room keys.  So the agent accompanied us to the ship, we met with Guest services manager who told us there were no room cards because we had been upgraded from a PV1 to a PS1— no idea why.  All our luggage was tagged for our original PV cabin, but by 2:30 everything had been sorted and all the luggage arrived at our new cabin on deck 8.  We may just watch the sail away from deck 8 after all as we are on the port side (rather than from Explorers Lounge.)  Nice first day!

Well, that is a great way to start your trip !  Never been visited by the upgrade fairy ,but one can dream .  Enjoy your wonderful cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

As soon as we boarded, I signed us up for each of the menus using Viking Voyager.  

We ate at CT, last night and it was wonderful, as DesertCruiser said.  They made a few changes for me because of allergies and a consultation with the chef to assure him that there wasn't enough garlic in his recipe to bother me -- and it was just as delicious as Mom's.  

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

As soon as we boarded, I signed us up for each of the menus using Viking Voyager.  

We ate at CT, last night and it was wonderful, as DesertCruiser said.  They made a few changes for me because of allergies and a consultation with the chef to assure him that there wasn't enough garlic in his recipe to bother me -- and it was just as delicious as Mom's.  

What was the menu?  I am British and I liked the previous menu though I know others did not

On 5/9/2024 at 3:44 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Glad you had the upgrade but confused about the first couple of sentences.  Sir Francis Chichester's multi award winning ocean racing yacht "Gypsy Moth" was put into dry dock next to the Cutty Sark in 1968  and was moved and set free in 2005.  There is a Gypsy Moth  Pub right next to the Cutty Sark - did you mean the pub?  Also intrigued as to which building was used for check in.  There is an empty restaurant almost next to the river boat ticket booths so possibly there ?

We had a house in Greenwich until recently and the Viking presence onshore was previously in a tent in front of the visitor centre.

Watching the Viking (and other) cruise ships in Greenwich was always delightful. 

5 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Glad you had the upgrade but confused about the first couple of sentences.  Sir Francis Chichester's multi award winning ocean racing yacht "Gypsy Moth" was put into dry dock next to the Cutty Sark in 1968  and was moved and set free in 2005.  There is a Gypsy Moth  Pub right next to the Cutty Sark - did you mean the pub?  Also intrigued as to which building was used for check in.  There is an empty restaurant almost next to the river boat ticket booths so possibly there ?

We had a house in Greenwich until recently and the Viking presence onshore was previously in a tent in front of the visitor centre.

Watching the Viking (and other) cruise ships in Greenwich was always delightful. 

Yes, the pub.  It’s as far as a taxi can take you and there were at least ten there when we arrived.  But thank you.  I suspected the Gipsy Moth was a ship, and now I know!

Pam, they used space in The Old Royal Naval College for check in. From Gipsy Moth pub, turn right crossing the stern of Cutty Sark and continue straight through the fence and into the building.  

• Thanks 1

Well crap! Had missed that at least two of my favorite CC “friends” were embarking on Thursday. We took our niece to sightsee in Greenwich and it was bittersweet to see Neptune where Aky had just been when we disembarked and all the Viking umbrellas and luggage tags!

IMG_7199.jpeg

IMG_7202.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Pam, they used space in The Old Royal Naval College for check in. From Gipsy Moth pub, turn right crossing the stern of Cutty Sark and continue straight through the fence and into the building.  

Good news, thanks.  My son still lives in Greenwich so still visit regularly so will check in a couple of weeks.  Sounds like a portion of the Visitor Centre - much better than a tent.

The cruise ships are quite an enjoyable sight from the riverside as shown in Clay's photos.   Brings back happy memories.  Just sad for those that end up in Tilbury.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Good news, thanks.  My son still lives in Greenwich so still visit regularly so will check in a couple of weeks.  Sounds like a portion of the Visitor Centre - much better than a tent.

The cruise ships are quite an enjoyable sight from the riverside as shown in Clay's photos.   Brings back happy memories.  Just sad for those that end up in Tilbury.

I didn't know they used two different sites until someone posted about it.  I had instant panic and checked MVJ again to make sure I was still Greenwich. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

I didn't know they used two different sites until someone posted about it.  I had instant panic and checked MVJ again to make sure I was still Greenwich. 

There is at least one more sailing in 2024 that is scheduled to sail from/to Tilbury and 3 in 2025. It is clearly on the Viking website whether a sailing will be using Greenwich or Tilbury. 

On 5/10/2024 at 5:25 PM, Peregrina651 said:

image.thumb.png.c62256dbaf28fe889e91eeefb2a3dc45.pngimage.thumb.png.c62256dbaf28fe889e91eeefb2a3dc45.png

This all looks delicious!  What a great way to start your cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had the inaugural version of this menu at the end of our 2019 WC.  The chef was on board and prepared it.  We were eating with our English friends, and none of us liked it.  But—we had it again last night and found it delicious.  I guess it’s been tweaked over the years.

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

There is at least one more sailing in 2024 that is scheduled to sail from/to Tilbury and 3 in 2025. It is clearly on the Viking website whether a sailing will be using Greenwich or Tilbury. 

I believe Greenwich is used in high season but sailings earlier or later in the year use Tilbury.

Dover greeted us with some fog, but not bad. White cliffs were rather hazy in morning with a little glimpse of Dover Castle. 
We did a V paid excursion to Leeds Castle in AM and included excursion of Historic Canterbury in PM. 
Bus to Leeds was easily half empty. Our guide talked of some history of castle and Henry VIII and all his wives. Women definitely had it hard back then. We had a Castle guide throughout and learned more then I realized of the history of the area. The acreage was beautiful and peaceful. Lots of paths to walk and areas to sit and enjoy relaxing. After the tour we had about another hour to do just that. The hour bus ride wasn’t as bad as anticipated so enjoyed morning. 
we got off that bus and promptly went on another for Canterbury. Our guide was fantastic. There were a lot more people this time. We learned more about Dover and the area on the way to Canterbury and our guide then walked us through town explaining architecture and history. Both interesting and whimsical. We had about an hour to do as we wanted - shop, cathedral, etc- then took different route back to bus and she gave more info. Well worth the trip. 

• Thanks 1