Insect repellent

HSBC

I'll take Viking River cruise to Grand Europe this month.

Do I need to bring any insect repellent?

How many 110 electrical outlet (North America) at each cabin?

Thanks!

I’ve never traveled with Viking but I doubt you would have any need of insect repellent at this time of year unless an excursion went anywhere near a swamp, which I wouldn’t think they would. Only once on a river cruise were we warned to keep the screen down on our balcony and that was much later in the year.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HSBC said:

I have never taken insect repellent on any of the 14 river cruises I've been on, including the one you are going on. I don't think you'll need to pack one. But if when you get onboard you feel the need there are plenty of towns you'll visit where you can purchase it.

There are as many 110 outlets as European 220 outlets. They come in pairs, and since one 220 outlet is used to charge the Quietvox listening devices there's actually more usable 110 outlets.

As to how many, a short answer would be 'ample', the longer answer is there are more if you have a suite than in the standard, french balcony and  veranda rooms. But I confess I haven't counted them.

Only sockets I've used are to charge my laptop, and for a multi USB. Mrs P's laptop is charged by a USB, so are our phones and Kindles. There are USB sockets as well, but my own seems to charge quicker.

How many sockets do you need?

If you really need to know the exact number, suggest you post on the thread below which is a live report by someone who is currently on board a Viking cruise and ask them to count the 110 sockets.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3005403-live-from-viking-kadlin-eastern-european-capitals-cruise-and-post-extension-to-transylvania-april-28-may-17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HSBC said:

I'll take Viking River cruise to Grand Europe this month.

Thanks!

As @pontac says, there are as many 110's  as the 220's, but if you are charging any electronics, they all charge on either the 110 or 220 so you can also use the 220 as long as you have a plug adaptor.  There are also USB outlets.

• Like 1

@HSBC, I've never brought insect repellent with me to Europe.  There just aren't the insects we have in the US. Part of that is there just isn't the humidity,  making summer a different experience. 

• Like 1

Three summer/fall cruises so far, no need for insect repellent, even hiking through the woods in the hills above Cochem and Rüdesheim and a walk in the Black Forest (not a lot of forest though). However, back in 1994 I stayed at a hostel in a small town about an hour outside of Munich and there were no screens on the windows and we were terribly bothered by mosquitos at night (month of August). It was a fairly rural area. 

• Like 1

We have done a number of cruises in Europe - and never needed bug repellant.  The only places we needed it were in Vietnam/Cambodia, and when we cruised the Peruvian Amazon.

Fran

• Thanks 1

The only time that I’ve ever wished for insect repellent on a European river cruise was during a ship’s excursion to a noble estate in the Po river valley. 

The mosquitoes were something FIERCE. Even the horses had to wear protective canvas masks when they were out to pasture, a sight that I had never seen before. 

But this area was far from the actual cruising route of the ship itself. 

• Thanks 1

We have carried insect repellent with us a couple of times but never needed it and if there are mosquitos they will find my husband.  I can be bite free and he will have dozens.  Never needed it, but if your checked luggage has room, put it there.  It never hurts to be prepared.

• Like 1