NHL playoffs

Hey all sail next week on adventure OTS , hoping not to miss the Canuck , Edmonton games , any suggestions on how to stream them , or any chance they would be on the tv onboard . I know two Canadian teams , might be a hard sell from east coast sailing 

6 hours ago, Funbobby68 said:

Hey all sail next week on adventure OTS , hoping not to miss the Canuck , Edmonton games , any suggestions on how to stream them , or any chance they would be on the tv onboard . I know two Canadian teams , might be a hard sell from east coast sailing 

Does Adventure have a playmakers?  I have seen games there. 

Just off Wonder last week ago and Playmakers were showing the games. However there isn't a Playmakers on Adventure...so not sure where would be playing or if they will have.

If they are on ESPN or an ESPN channel in the mainland US then they might be on the ship.  

Currently the playoffs are running on multiple channels on the US mainland like ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN+, TBS, TruTV and TNT.  

On the ships without Playmakers they have two channels of ESPN Caribbean.  This is not a mirror of ESPN or ESPN2 on the US mainland.  Content on ESPN Caribbean often includes games not available on ESPN on the US mainland for a variety of sports.

When the non-ESPN channels have the TV rights to the games it's a crapshoot if ESPN Caribbean used on the ships will carry the games.  

The May 8 Oilers/Canucks game is on ESPN but that doesn't mean the whole series is on ESPN.  NHL TV coverage is very unpredictable in the US.   Game 7 of Boston/Toronto required an ESPN+ subscription, the rest of the series did not.  

Trying to watch NHL in the US can be frustrating at times.  The playoffs are slightly better in that the bizarre TV blackouts tend not be used.   There are times I'm convinced the league is trying to discourage fan participation in the US.  Sometimes TV rights end up with a provider who doesn't play well with others.

Posted (edited)

As mentioned by @twangster the best bet is the ships ESPN feed(s) .  Since the Caribbean ESPN may have games that are on other channels on the mainland.  You can check any bar that has a tv screen and in the room since one may have different programming. Do  channel surf your in room stations, since I recall one game was on a different channel than I anticipated.  If you know when the actual puck drop time is for your location it will help.

Found most games (but not all) available during the playoffs somewhere on the ship, Quantum from Honolulu to Vancouver last May.  Only had to use internet/stream one or two games in like 10 days.

Edited by wdwkings

In order to guarantee you don't miss any games you will need a combination of ESPN+ subscription and Max.com subscription.  Between the two you will be able to watch all the games both live. They will also offer replays whenever you want if you aren't able to watch live.

I have both services and between the two watched all of the Canucks Hurricanes series.  

Go Canucks Go!  

Playmakers didn't play everything.  You got what you got.  We had a night where the Bruins and Celtics had playoff games and the ship took the New England Revolution game (Messi was in town).  I discovered Max works everywhere and has most of the games.  My YouTube TV and ESPN+ stopped working because I was out of the country.

Just now, Heckah said:

My YouTube TV and ESPN+ stopped working because I was out of the country.

I'm glad Max worked everywhere I have not used it anywhere but home yet.  I have used my ESPN+ on Adventure of the Seas... I just needed to use a VPN.  

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm glad Max worked everywhere I have not used it anywhere but home yet.  I have used my ESPN+ on Adventure of the Seas... I just needed to use a VPN.  

I was able to use EPSN+ on the Allure, but it wouldn't let me do it on Wonder.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heckah said:

I was able to use EPSN+ on the Allure, but it wouldn't let me do it on Wonder.  

Ships that stay close to the USA mainland use a Starlink gateway city in the US.  From a Florida port this is typically Atlanta for example. 

Once ships sail further away the Starlink gateway city changes to another country,  At that point ESPN+ doesn't see you in the US any longer and they cut you off.  

Just use a VPN.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Game 7 of Bruins/Leafs in Playmakers on Icon last week. Also first 3 games of Bruins/Panthers. One of the later series games was listed as TNT but ESPN had it.

2 hours ago, Funbobby68 said:

Just back home , happy to report that all the playoff games were on in the cabins , plus pub and schooner bar 

And you have at least one more now that you are home. Glad you got to see them play.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Funbobby68 said:

Finger crossed for tonight 

I'm assuming you're a Canucks fan so I guess things didn't go your way last night. We were on The Voyager TA until May 16 and they were playing the hockey games in the Tavern and Schooner Bar but due to the time difference they were coming on around 4am😵