Volendam 2024 eastern Canada season. Tips and lessons learned

Has anyone done the "New England Seafood Boil?  How was it?  We are trying to decide if we should make a reservation.  We are booked on the Oct 5th, Montreal - Fort Laurderdale sailing.

• Like 1

@CGinMTL Thank you for the tips, we’ll be on the Boston > Montreal cruise on May 25.  Since we booked an interior stateroom and I believe you said you did, too, can you confirm if there are the regular Elemis products in the bathroom?  Trying to decide how much to pack.  Thanks!

• Like 1

No overwhelming need to pay for internet access.  Other than a few minutes here and there I’ve had cellular service.  T-Mobile btw

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HUNKY said:

No overwhelming need to pay for internet access.  Other than a few minutes here and there I’ve had cellular service.  T-Mobile btw

Most Canadian ports provide free internet in the terminal.

• Like 3

Loving the tips. I have some questions.

We are a group of 11 going on Volendam on June 8 from Boston to Montreal. Can anyone tell me about the blow dryer in the room?  I was on HAL last year and if I recall it was just a very basic blow dryer that worked fine for my husband.

Do they have an Orange Party on this cruise? Also, it appears every night is Smart Casual and no Dressy nights? 

Also, they have only let us request a table for 6 in MDR, has anyone had a problem getting a large table once on board? Thank you.

• Like 1

Every HAL cruise has an Orange Night. 

Your Navigator will adjust and list two 'dressy' nights closer to the cruise, or when you board. 

I have never seen tables for 11/12. Ask for two tables for 6, next to each other, then mix it up every night! I have done that with various groups of friends several times, and it is a lot more fun that way. With 5/6 at a table, you can actually talk to each other. Changing tables each night allows you to sit and chat with everyone. Being next to each other allows for some chatting back and forth. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Every HAL cruise has an Orange Night. 

Your Navigator will adjust and list two 'dressy' nights closer to the cruise, or when you board. 

I have never seen tables for 11/12. Ask for two tables for 6, next to each other, then mix it up every night! I have done that with various groups of friends several times, and it is a lot more fun that way. With 5/6 at a table, you can actually talk to each other. Changing tables each night allows you to sit and chat with everyone. Being next to each other allows for some chatting back and forth. 

Thank you for your response. We have planned on 2 tables and will ask them to put close together. After 40 years of friendship, we still have a lot to chat about!

• Like 1

Confirm they have basic hair dryer in the room 

We had 2 dressy nights per 7 day leg 

However, people really don't dress up 

• Like 1

Check your statements. I have an issue with my gratuities that is still not resolved

Leg 1. I had prepaid 

That was fine.

Leg 2. I had prepaid, then there was a price drop and they refunded my prepaid, and these were suppose to be included 

I spotted the error on Wed. They ship sent a mail to Seattle. But I am still waiting for the correction 

27 minutes ago, CGinMTL said:

Confirm they have basic hair dryer in the room 

We had 2 dressy nights per 7 day leg 

However, people really don't dress up 

I believe HAL has always had hairdryers in every cabin for years.

On 5/17/2024 at 10:56 AM, CGinMTL said:

Check your statements. I have an issue with my gratuities that is still not resolved

Leg 1. I had prepaid 

That was fine.

Leg 2. I had prepaid, then there was a price drop and they refunded my prepaid, and these were suppose to be included 

I spotted the error on Wed. They ship sent a mail to Seattle. But I am still waiting for the correction 

This was corrected on last night after confirmation from head office

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CGinMTL said:

Here is the letter in reference to laundry

What is “Eco-friendly wet cleaning”??? 

2 hours ago, bajae said:

What is “Eco-friendly wet cleaning”??? 

I wondered the same thing…but whatever it is it is NOT included!

13 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

No soap and cleaned with rocks in a local stream.

😂 Explains why it’s not included. 

• Haha 1