Pickleball on the Horizon

Hello, we are sailing on the Horizon this Saturday and excited to see the  ABC islands for the first time!  I see there is pickleball on board,  but I don't see a dedicated net on the deck plans.  Is there a court or something that converts with a portable net?  How popular is pickleball on the Horizon?  Is there any playtimes organized that we might see on the day itinerary?  Thanks in advance!

When I was on it last year, I didn't see any courts or anyone playing on any...just the basketball area.   Not sure if they convert it to to pickleball to play at certain times or not.  Interested in this same thing for the Celebration, but don't see a dedicated court.

23 minutes ago, msweezie said:

Hello, we are sailing on the Horizon this Saturday and excited to see the  ABC islands for the first time!  I see there is pickleball on board,  but I don't see a dedicated net on the deck plans.  Is there a court or something that converts with a portable net?  How popular is pickleball on the Horizon?  Is there any playtimes organized that we might see on the day itinerary?  Thanks in advance!

I have not sailed on the Horizon but I have played pickleball on the Panorama and the Celebration.

On both of these ships they played on the outdoor basketball court and only on one day of the entire cruise and only for one hour.

In other words, if the Horizon is just like my experience it will be more of a novelty than actually getting to play much.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On the Vista they had a pickleball tournament one day on the basketball court. Don't  remember it being played any other time.😎

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 2

I sailed on Horizon in March and they held a pickleball tournament at the basketball court. The bleachers were packed with spectators and participants as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roscoe13 said:

I have not sailed on the Horizon but I have played pickleball on the Panorama and the Celebration.

On both of these ships they played on the outdoor basketball court and only on one day of the entire cruise and only for one hour.

In other words, if the Horizon is just like my experience it will be more of a novelty than actually getting to play much.

Your last sentence is a great description to the experience.

• Haha 1

So there is no notification about the times whey play?  I would think they should be set up for pickleball in the morning times or evening and let the rest of the time be basketball.  Do ships that not have basketball courts have pickleball (on other lines)?

10 minutes ago, jeblack1 said:

So there is no notification about the times whey play?  I would think they should be set up for pickleball in the morning times or evening and let the rest of the time be basketball.  Do ships that not have basketball courts have pickleball (on other lines)?

It currently is only once during the cruise and a Fun Squad member overseas it.  The lines and net are temporary 

• Like 1

This seems like a great opportunity to reach out to John Heald on his...other platform.

Possibly there is an option to speak with someone to request some play time.  It can't be that hard for someone to set a net up.  Other than having to fight for time on the basketball court.  But I hardly ever even seen people using the basketball court on Carnival.

I never walked by the basketball court on Horizon. But I do know they were playing basketball at lunch time on sea days because you could hear the balls down in JiJis. They had a pickleball tournament in the fun times for 4pm Curacao day. 

Regal Princess had two pickleball courts 24/7 btw.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I never walked by the basketball court on Horizon. But I do know they were playing basketball at lunch time on sea days because you could hear the balls down in JiJis. They had a pickleball tournament in the fun times for 4pm Curacao day. 

Regal Princess had two pickleball courts 24/7 btw.

I would settle for permanent lines and some set times.  Does the Regal Princess have a BB court.

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would settle for permanent lines and some set times.  Does the Regal Princess have a BB court.

That’s where pickleball is. But they never took the pickleball down. 

IMG_0114.thumb.jpeg.9d27d5b5bdd8249f168992646b7b82ab.jpeg

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Ahhh thanks.  Different crowd I guess

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Ahhh thanks.  Different crowd I guess

Yeah I wasn’t a fan of it myself. No basketball, no mini golf, no arcade, no waterpark all adds up to a lot of kids on lido deck…..all the kids on lido deck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

It's ping pong but you are standing on the table! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

It's ping pong but you are standing on the table! 

And next to pickleball they have what I called mini pickleball.

IMG_0118.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3