Question from new CPAP user

Cabunit

8 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

Helps that I’m a side sleeper typically facing the machine.

Me too!  Always lay on my left side facing the machine.  Because my wife wants to be on the side closest to the bathroom, I choose staterooms where the bed is positioned on the left wall as you enter.  Unfortunately, Princess deck plans don't show what side the door is on, so I look for pictures of the suite I am looking to book.

11 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Me too!  Always lay on my left side facing the machine.  Because my wife wants to be on the side closest to the bathroom, I choose staterooms where the bed is positioned on the left wall as you enter.  Unfortunately, Princess deck plans don't show what side the door is on, so I look for pictures of the suite I am looking to book.

I have found that in most suites the side of the bed closest to the bathroom is also where the desk is with the electrical outlets. Therefore I bring an extension cord

2 hours ago, Greg4502 said:

I fly with my cpap, in it's case, inside my carry on. So far, I have not been asked to take it out, but have been asked if it is a cpap. If you want it separate, you can take it on the plane as a carry on. For most airlines, it will not count, as the two bag limit for carry on's.

This is me.  I put my cpap machine in my carryon bag.  Never had security stop me.

But as someone pointed out, it does not count against your carry on bags should you choose to carry I separately.

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

I have found that in most suites the side of the bed closest to the bathroom is also where the desk is with the electrical outlets. Therefore I bring an extension cord

Yes, I should have said stateroom instead of suite.  We are in a MS on our upcoming Regal cruise and unfortunately the desk is on the opposite wall with no outlet on or behind the nightstand.  

OP here. 

1.  I have no problem with other CPAP related questions.  We're all in this together!

2.  Thank you for all of the ideas and experience.  I think we'll be able to navigate the situation just fine.

FWIIW, we understand requesting the water and we have the necessary Shuko adapter.  The power block on the CPAP takes 220, so no transformer is required.  Having traveled in the same cabin, we know that the power plug is behind the bed but quite handy near the night stand. 

Cheers to all!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Unfortunately, Princess deck plans don't show what side the door is on, so I look for pictures of the suite I am looking to book.

Although it isn't foolproof, a way to get an idea of what side the bed is on in a cabin that is on the outside of the ship is to use the fire door locations on the deck plans.  The two rules are:

1.  Bathrooms are in pairs - back to back.

2.  Bathrooms don't back against fire walls (where the fire doors are).

So the first cabin aft of a fire wall will have the bathroom to the aft of the door.  The second cabin will have the bathroom forward of the door.  By working aft in pairs you can get a good guess as to where the bathroom is located and, therefore, where the bed is located.

There are exceptions to this, so pictures will help to confirm.

Cheers!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cabunit said:

Although it isn't foolproof, a way to get an idea of what side the bed is on in a cabin that is on the outside of the ship is to use the fire door locations on the deck plans.  The two rules are:

1.  Bathrooms are in pairs - back to back.

2.  Bathrooms don't back against fire walls (where the fire doors are).

So the first cabin aft of a fire wall will have the bathroom to the aft of the door.  The second cabin will have the bathroom forward of the door.  By working aft in pairs you can get a good guess as to where the bathroom is located and, therefore, where the bed is located.

There are exceptions to this, so pictures will help to confirm.

Cheers!

Thanks!  I checked it out and our stateroom has the door on the right, which matched what we had already seen off the pictures.  

On 5/10/2024 at 7:54 AM, GeorgiaGirl14 said:

I would like to ask another question on this string, if OP doesn't mind.  (I have cruised with CPap and your suggestions seem spot on). We, however, usually drive to ports.  This time we are flying and I have not flown with my CPap.  Any hints on how you pack your CPap and how to get through security with it?  I want it to be sanitary and to be as light weight packing as possible, without having to invest in a travel CPap.  Have any of you used a special travel bag, etc?

I have a ResMed AirSense BiPap that came with a nice travel bag. (Unlike aCPAP, no reasonably priced travel model out there.) I have enough room inside the hose compartment to fit a generic non- surge 10 foot extension cord.  Outside, it has a pocket that fits my iPad.  So, it serves as my airplane “personal item”.  Fits fine under the seat and still leaves me leg room.

Be careful, there’s a lot of those machines/bags out there.  Yesterday at security, another guy tried to pick my bag up.  (His identical bag came out 30 seconds later.  Fortunately I recognized the “bulge” from my iPad and phone in the outside pocket.)  I saw about five others during my travels.

i have TSAPre, so I haven’t had to take the machine out of the case in a long while.  It never gets checked as regular luggage, it and my passport are the two main essentials and never leave my possession while traveling.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BDevilCruiser said:

I have a ResMed AirSense BiPap that came with a nice travel bag. (Unlike aCPAP, no reasonably priced travel model out there.) I have enough room inside the hose compartment to fit a generic non- surge 10 foot extension cord.  Outside, it has a pocket that fits my iPad.  So, it serves as my airplane “personal item”.  Fits fine under the seat and still leaves me leg room.

Be careful, there’s a lot of those machines/bags out there.  Yesterday at security, another guy tried to pick my bag up.  (His identical bag came out 30 seconds later.  Fortunately I recognized the “bulge” from my iPad and phone in the outside pocket.)  I saw about five others during my travels.

i have TSAPre, so I haven’t had to take the machine out of the case in a long while.  It never gets checked as regular luggage, it and my passport are the two main essentials and never leave my possession while traveling.

It doesn’t even have to count as your personal item. It is considered medical and you can still have another. I have often traveled with a CPAP and a carryon. No need to check any bags 

59 minutes ago, memoak said:

It doesn’t even have to count as your personal item. It is considered medical and you can still have another. I have often traveled with a CPAP and a carryon. No need to check any bags 

I usually fly with the CPAP case and a carry-on.  Haven’t tried to take three items on, yet.  (Male, so no purse as a personal item.). I especially wonder how the budget airlines (Spirit, Frontier etc.) deal with it, even if legally it should be Allowed.

Had a problem yesterday in that I was in the last group to board, and there was limited bin space overhead.  Couldn’t put my carry-on backpack up there so it went under the seat.  The CPAP didn’t fit, but it’s a lot smaller, so I was able to put it up above so I had a little bit of leg room.

I have been using a CPAP (resmed 10)for the last four years and travel with it (I am retired).  Airport security have seen plenty of these devices and don't even blink an eye.  The airline does not count it against your limit.  I put it in the overhead.  Onboard the ship I put it on the nightstand beside the bed (barely fits) and then hook it up to the outlet over the desk.  This usually entails a light extension cord that I carry with me and magnetic hooks so I can run it across the ceiling instead of tripping over the cord.  The extension cord the ship will give you to use is much heavier than my 15A #16 light wire.  I ask the room attendant for some distilled water (usually a gallon) and leave the remains for them to pick up.  Works great. 

We now both use epens to inject medicine and ask the room attendant for a disposer for epens so we don't have to take them home.    

1.  I was stopped in Canada.  They had me take my machine OUT OF THE BAG.  

2.  Only CPAP machine is supposed to be in the bag.  But I have included an extension cord.

3.  I wonder what they do with the extra distilled water.  Even for a 25 day cruise, I could not use it all.  Felt sooooo wasteful.

4.  If there is no room in the overhead for your CPAP, the flight attendants will find somewhere to store it.  They know they can't have you check it (they don't want that responsibility).

5.  I have taken overhead carry on, under the seat personal (big) item, and CPAP.  I have been questioned at the gate, but then they step back when I say CPAP.

• Like 2

Am on the Sapphire right now ( still at the dock in Vancouver dealing with propulsion issues.)

Here’s a picture of the bedside table in an ocean view cabin.  www I’ll be a tight fit for my CPAP, but the lamp has a USB port, which is an improvement.  Still need to plug in at the desk, though.

IMG_5338.jpeg

For @BDevilCruiser and anyone else onboard ships right now, I would love to get dimensions of the top of the night stand and the lamp.  Of special interest is how high the base of the lamp is.  I know that they vary, but some information is better than none.  Also of special interest is to get measurements from the Discovery Princess (our next ship). 

I am an inveterate DYI type.  My concept is to build a simple "bridge" that sits over the base of the lamp, giving one almost half the size of the top of the nightstand for the CPAP.  A prototype would be of lightweight wood, but once perfected it could be lexan sheet with edge corner clips (would disassemble).  If I go through with it and it works, I will post some pictures after the cruise.

Bottom line:  Any measurements would be appreciated! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BDevilCruiser said:

Am on the Sapphire right now ( still at the dock in Vancouver dealing with propulsion issues.)

Here’s a picture of the bedside table in an ocean view cabin.  www I’ll be a tight fit for my CPAP, but the lamp has a USB port, which is an improvement.  Still need to plug in at the desk, though.

IMG_5338.jpeg

If you have a table light, then you have a European plug behind/under the bed.  If she is like her sister ship, there should also be an outlet behind the tv in an Ocean View cabin. My OV cabin bed was against the wall.  Yours looks like it is under the window. May be different. 

Next time you go shopping, ask for a small empty box theft will fit inside the drawer.  Turn it upside down and your CPAP will have a new home 

49 minutes ago, Cabunit said:

For @BDevilCruiser and anyone else onboard ships right now, I would love to get dimensions of the top of the night stand and the lamp.  Of special interest is how high the base of the lamp is.  I know that they vary, but some information is better than none.  Also of special interest is to get measurements from the Discovery Princess (our next ship). 

I am an inveterate DYI type.  My concept is to build a simple "bridge" that sits over the base of the lamp, giving one almost half the size of the top of the nightstand for the CPAP.  A prototype would be of lightweight wood, but once perfected it could be lexan sheet with edge corner clips (would disassemble).  If I go through with it and it works, I will post some pictures after the cruise.

Bottom line:  Any measurements would be appreciated! 

Cardboard or even a Styrofoam scrap would be lightweight and strong enough to support a CPAP machine. It could be stacked to the right thickness and trimmed on the spot with a knife or hacksaw blade. Tape it to the nightstand with painter's blue tape. Attach the hose to the lamp with a loop of tape to ensure that it stays in place. 👌

For a square-based lamp like the one shown, a paperback book or two from the ship library, taped to the nightstand should do the trick. Most ships have round lamp bases.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

IMG_5338.jpeg

Just pull that nightstand up a little and the CPAP should fit behind it.  Or pull it closer to the bed and put the CPAP on the side, looks like you can get an inch or two that way.  By the way it's clear these are newer lamps.  Would have been nice for them to put something on that table with a smaller base!

10 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

IMG_5338.jpeg

I just prop mine up next to the lamp no problem ever

• Thanks 1

All great ideas.  Thanks!

My CPAP seems to be larger than many.  Since we are not flying for our next cruise, I will probably bring along some lightweight repurposed materials for some sort of solution - but will hope that it might fit on its own. 

16 minutes ago, Cabunit said:

All great ideas.  Thanks!

My CPAP seems to be larger than many.  Since we are not flying for our next cruise, I will probably bring along some lightweight repurposed materials for some sort of solution - but will hope that it might fit on its own. 

Not flying is good.  My collapsible stool worked for over 15 cruises.  I finally stopped and either place it directly on the night stand or pack with a small box (multi-use).  I am such a container fanatic. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Not flying is good.  My collapsible stool worked for over 15 cruises.  I finally stopped and either place it directly on the night stand or pack with a small box (multi-use).  I am such a container fanatic. 

This thread brought out my inner engineer and got me thinking about possible solutions. A cardboard box about the size of a hardbound book with one side cut out to slip over the lamp base would work. Or perhaps an oblong shoebox-shaped plastic container (Tupperware-type) with one side cut out. Tape it in place.

Lots of possibilities! 🤞

Edited by Teechur
Added a line.
  • Like 1

Need to get out of the mind set of putting it on the night stand.  The CPAP is supposed to be below your sleeping level.  The drawer works perfectly.  The box needs to be slightly taller than the draw (6 - 8 inches).  

Either use it when packing or fold it flat and "expand" when you get to the ship.  A regular cardboard box is sturdy enough without adding tape or other adhesives.  

4 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Need to get out of the mind set of putting it on the night stand.  The CPAP is supposed to be below your sleeping level.  The drawer works perfectly.  The box needs to be slightly taller than the draw (6 - 8 inches).  

Either use it when packing or fold it flat and "expand" when you get to the ship.  A regular cardboard box is sturdy enough without adding tape or other adhesives.  

It has been on my nightstand at home for over 20 years never had an issue

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

It has been on my nightstand at home for over 20 years never had an issue

Glad it works for you.  I have nearly "drowned" a few times when condensation built up in the hose.  Quite a rude awakening in the middle of the night to hear gurgling sounds and water droplets dripping down the hose (gravity).

• Haha 1