San Francisco Pier 27 Parking Question

Posted (edited)

We are booked on the Ruby princess May 4 ,2025 R/T   Alaska in a handicap  balcony cabin . We would be driving up from the San Diego area  . I was checking on the internet & there seems not to be hotels with cruise parking close by that is reasonable 

I need to bring my electric scooter  on the ship 

Questions are :

1) does SF have any hotels with reasonable parking fees if you book a room with them  ,that is reasonablt close to the pier 27 ?

or 

2) where is reasonable parking close in to pier 27 where Princess seems to depart from  ?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter 

Edited by mcrcruiser

There is cruise parking available from ABM https://www.sfcruiseparking.com/home which is a short walk to the cruise terminal from 80 Francisco St.  If you stay near the airport (which is not in San Francisco proper) there are many hotels with park & fly packages available, but you will need to Uber, Lyft, Taxi, or use BART (the transit train) to get to the pier.  I have not found any hotels in San Francisco that you can park your car during a cruise.  For our 11-day cruise this month parking at the garage is $264.  My husband uses an electric wheelchair & I drop him & our luggage off at the pier, then drive the car to the garage & walk back.  If you do use the garage, you turn right out of the pier driveway onto the Embarcadero, then left at Bay St., then left onto Kearney St., then left onto Francisco St. garage is on the left.  The walk is much easier back.  You just turn left as you leave the garage, walk about 1/2 a block, then cut thru the plaza & cross the Embarcadero & you're at the pier.  I hope this helps, have a great cruise!

• Like 2

I agree with @happy42cruise.   I’ll just add one other option:  if you book a hotel near the airport, you can go back to the airport the day of your cruise and use the Princess EZ Air airport transfer.   The hotels closer to the airport will probably be cheaper than ones in the City.

or

If you book a hotel in the City, park at 80 Francisco instead of parking at the hotel.   Then taxi, Uber, or bus back and forth.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

There is cruise parking available from ABM https://www.sfcruiseparking.com/home which is a short walk to the cruise terminal from 80 Francisco St.  If you stay near the airport (which is not in San Francisco proper) there are many hotels with park & fly packages available, but you will need to Uber, Lyft, Taxi, or use BART (the transit train) to get to the pier.  I have not found any hotels in San Francisco that you can park your car during a cruise.  For our 11-day cruise this month parking at the garage is $264.  My husband uses an electric wheelchair & I drop him & our luggage off at the pier, then drive the car to the garage & walk back.  If you do use the garage, you turn right out of the pier driveway onto the Embarcadero, then left at Bay St., then left onto Kearney St., then left onto Francisco St. garage is on the left.  The walk is much easier back.  You just turn left as you leave the garage, walk about 1/2 a block, then cut thru the plaza & cross the Embarcadero & you're at the pier.  I hope this helps, have a great cruise!

Thanks for your info . Our problem is we are both challenged mobility wise . My wife can walk with a cane  I need my electric scooter ,We are mid 80s .  So we think the conclusion is to cancel the booking for this Alaska cruise . No sense in driving all the way from San diego area to confront those parking problems 

Thanks a lot for your info .It seems to me these cruise lines need to invest into parking structures  .Certainly they would pay for themselves in time at those per day rates 

Cliff                                                                                                                     

Rather than getting involved any further we cancelled the cruise to Alaska . It is not that we have not been to Alaska ,We have 5 times including the interior from Seward to Fairbanks on our own 

23 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Thanks a lot for your info .It seems to me these cruise lines need to invest into parking structures  .Certainly they would pay for themselves in time at those per day rates 

San Francisco isn't a "base" cruise port like LA/San Pedro or Miami, it's a destination port. I think Princess only bases one ship there for the Alaska season. 

The city is on a peninsula and it's about as built out as it can get, plus it has a mission statement to reduce automobile traffic as much as possible, so anything that'll increase parking will not be approved.