QA Canaries 10 May Comments

exlondoner

On 5/13/2024 at 6:39 PM, safarigal said:

We were at the sushi restaurant last night - fabulous food. We chose a la carte items, but they do also have a set menu ($65 each). We haven't been to the other 2.

Ah! That set menu must be the option I have with the Luxury Gift Package I bought - includes a meal at Sir Samuels or Aji Wa.

I think we'll go Aji Wa.

Given that the package was in a sale for ~$400, that's a third  back there!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

How busy is the ship in general?

We are in PG next month - and the Grills Terrace was part of the attraction (and the infinity hot tubs). 

You can get afternoon tea on deck?!

The ship has a busy feel but as we have spent day time hours on decks 10&11, it’s difficult to quantify 'how busy'.

You won’t be disappointed with deck 11, and the hot tub situation ( can’t see the attraction myself) and yes, afternoon tea is served on deck.

• Like 4

Just now, Victoria2 said:

The ship has a busy feel but as we have spent day time hours on decks 10&11, it’s difficult to quantify 'how busy'.

You won’t be disappointed with deck 11, and the hot tub situation ( can’t see the attraction myself) and yes, afternoon tea is served on deck.

Is the Grills deck area still unpoliced?

We’re being treated, starboard, to a great water display from a tug. The tug actually pirouetted many times right in front of us. Any nearer and I’d be inviting the tug pilot in for a cup of tea. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, buchanan101 said:

Is the Grills deck area still unpoliced?

It's a lovely area with loads of space. I haven’t seen any men in black with hip bulges under their jackets.

If passengers start complaining of 'incomers' the frosted glass doors which separate the areas, might be able to facilitate a card reader. Maybe. However, as there are loads of sun deck areas, it might not be an issue.

18 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

It's a lovely area with loads of space. I haven’t seen any men in black with hip bulges under their jackets.

If passengers start complaining of 'incomers' the frosted glass doors which separate the areas, might be able to facilitate a card reader. Maybe. However, as there are loads of sun deck areas, it might not be an issue.

Our next door neighbours said the sun deck was very crowded this afternoon. If 'incomers' do become an issue, there is no way anyone can tell from the keycards who is Grills and who isn’t. Time to bring back the little Grills symbol?

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

We’re being treated, starboard, to a great water display from a tug. The tug actually pirouetted many times right in front of us. Any nearer and I’d be inviting the tug pilot in for a cup of tea. 🙂

Good show for QA's departure from Funchal as seen on the www.madeira-web.com webcam. They had a camera operator to zoom in and follow along. Here's a capture from that webcam showing the fireboat display.

QAFunchalDeparture2024-05-15.thumb.jpg.1d1b4dfc3a6daa17dfc87d3a0bd6b809.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

In all seriousness now. Don’t dread them. The strategy is, stand at the head of the couches, monitor the lifts eg which floor and are any heading in your direction, be prepared and dash for the appropriate lift.

Of course, there will be times when one lift overtakes the other in true Max Verstappen style which does set you back a lift but you will get one. Truly, it becomes a game! 😃

And in my experience, most passengers, if awake, are now aware of the hazards of lifts, and very helpful at holding them for others.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Had no idea about lift lobby colours so that’s interesting I guess as long as you remember if sky blue pink is aft and purple spotted carpets are forward etc. Takes me all day to remember what day it is and again, I’m guessing that’s  the sign of a relaxing holiday.

Spent a good few hours under the canopy in the Grills sun deck, deck 11. It’s a great space and far better than The Vistas so that’s a huge plus. Afternoon tea was served and a waiter continually patrolled the area to take orders from the bar. I will ask if he takes coffee orders ( free from deck 10 lounge) today.

Any ice cream?

• Like 1

Difficult to see how they could fit a card reader, in case of emergency deck 11 would need to be fully accessable, anything that prevents full access would be problematic, in some ways the simple thing like a red rope on a hook may be enough of the deterrent, similar as the bottom on the stairs on QE and QV

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

The California Rolls this lunchtime were as good a sushi offering as any I’ve had in a pukka restaurant. No idea if they were prepared by the dedicated Sushi chef, or not. I will ask.

The Peking Duck last  night was a triumph, if a little too much for the two of us but we valiantly did it justice! 😀

And many of the rest of us appreciated the aroma. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t think it is an issue at all at present. 

• Like 3

Just now, exlondoner said:

I don’t think it is an issue at all at present. 

I agree, and although there were a lot of people there this afternoon, it didn't feel too crowded. It really was lovely sitting out on deck and having afternoon tea there. Let's see if there will be ice cream there tomorrow!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

The California Rolls this lunchtime were as good a sushi offering as any I’ve had in a pukka restaurant. No idea if they were prepared by the dedicated Sushi chef, or not. I will ask.

The Peking Duck last  night was a triumph, if a little too much for the two of us but we valiantly did it justice! 😀

Lunch time sushi was prepared in the Grills galley as the sushi restaurant isn’t open at lunchtime. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Our next door neighbours said the sun deck was very crowded this afternoon. If 'incomers' do become an issue, there is no way anyone can tell from the keycards who is Grills and who isn’t. Time to bring back the little Grills symbol?

A misleading post. Sorry.  Reference was for finding space in the shade under the canopies. Prime spots!

The opposite of towel wars for loungers in the sun! 🙂
It’s a sea day today so that will the test of a busy deck.

• Like 2

Watched a film at the Pavilion pool last night. Not very well attended but then the subject  might not have appealed to many.

Thought it marvellous but then I’m a huge fan of Hans Zimmer and this was a film of a concert of his in Prague a few years ago.

We could have done without the background staff noise and clatter but overall, an interesting evening.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Watched a film at the Pavilion pool last night. Not very well attended but then the subject  might not have appealed to many.

Thought it marvellous but then I’m a huge fan of Hans Zimmer and this was a film of a concert of his in Prague a few years ago.

We could have done without the background staff noise and clatter but overall, an interesting evening.

Do you know if they had the popcorn machine working? It was in the corner by the bar on Deck 9, not sure if it's still there as it wasn't operational.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MylesS said:

Do you know if they had the popcorn machine working? It was in the corner by the bar on Deck 9, not sure if it's still there as it wasn't operational.

I will check for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Lovely relaxing afternoon on deck 11 with a cup of tea ( declined cakes and finger sandwiches) and a great book. Not at all busy, just pleasantly populated. It really is a lovely set up.

Interesting to see if hot tub rules will be policed. The no glass near the tub didn’t seem to be important to one chap this afternoon. 

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Lovely relaxing afternoon on deck 11 with a cup of tea ( declined cakes and finger sandwiches) and a great book. Not at all busy, just pleasantly populated. It really is a lovely set up.

Interesting to see if hot tub rules will be policed. The no glass near the tub didn’t seem to be important to one chap this afternoon. 

That is much more serious than the occasional non-Griller infiltrating.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I will check for you. 

Also have u discovered if there are any computers in library or any other area?

?

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the statement in the daily programme re Spanish vat being charged is correct?  I’m sure I read a while ago that it does not apply to the Canaries only to mainland Spain. 

17 minutes ago, TowandaUK said:

Does anyone know if the statement in the daily programme re Spanish vat being charged is correct?  I’m sure I read a while ago that it does not apply to the Canaries only to mainland Spain. 

I had this conversation on Wednesday with our wine waiter ( fabulous chap, the best we’ve ever had on Cunard) we collectively decided to pre buy the table wine in order to avoid any possible extra tax, Spanish or not.

1 hour ago, TowandaUK said:

I don’t think we were charged last time we were here.

Posted (edited)

Took some photos of deck 11 before anyone would be featured. I won’t  have faces in any of my photos.

The deck pads aren’t out yet.

IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1065.jpeg

Edited by Victoria2
A passenger was in the distance
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2