Dining on river cruises

sjde

Sometimes I like sitting with other people at lunch or dinner on a river cruise and sometimes I don’t want to , but on Viking my husband and I didn’t have that choice.  We were always with the other people unless it was breakfast,  when not everybody ate at the same time and there was room to spread out. I don’t think there were any two-tops. Or even four- tops.

So my question is -which lines give you that choice? 

17 minutes ago, sjde said:

Sometimes I like sitting with other people at lunch or dinner on a river cruise and sometimes I don’t want to , but on Viking my husband and I didn’t have that choice.  We were always with the other people unless it was breakfast,  when not everybody ate at the same time and there was room to spread out. I don’t think there were any two-tops. Or even four- tops.

So my question is -which lines give you that choice? 

Viking Douro River cruise had two tops, but not many...

Others will recommend if there are two tops with other lines, but my understanding is that this is part of river cruising.

On Viking you can grab a two top table in the Aquavit Terrace, but you have to sit at it around or just before the port talk. Some put coats or belongings on the tables to reserve before dinner starts.

AmaWaterways

AmaMagna has a variety of table sizes including 2-tops & 4-tops. It also has a secondary option (Al Fresco) that's all 4-tops (different menu than MD). You can also have dinner at Jimmy's Wine Bar. It serves the same thing as the MD, but family style at longer tables (not what you are looking for)

AmaDante is one of their older ships, and I think they were most 6-tops, but some of them were half booths that could be split 4 & 2.

We will be on AmaSiena (one of the newer ships) next spring and looking at videos, it looks like the MD is mostly 4-tops, with a few 2-tops and only a few larger. I would assume all her sister ships are the same?

They all have a Chef's table. Not sure if that counts for what you are looking for, but depending on the ship, there's some to plenty of 4-tops.

Scenic has two seaters, four seaters, six and eight seaters. Some will say that some of the two seaters are still very close to other tables but I’m sure that if you didn’t want to converse with your near neighbours they would respect your choice. The staff will also sort larger tables if asked.

I posted this on Wednesday

Regarding tables for two on Viking: there are two in the Aquavit Lounge and they tend to go to those who get there early. Whether you get a table to yourself depends on how crowded the boat is, how many people are dining off boat  and the time of year. We have been the only couple on a table for six and last year on the Rhone in August table for four were set up on the open prow and since most passengers preferred air-conditioning inside several couple has tables to themselves.

Scenic has more tables for two in the main restaurant but they are so close together they don't feel like separate tables.

Eight tables for two were also set up in the lounge

image.thumb.jpeg.a2e15fdf3e18de076064b3c68ea4af84.jpeg

We had this table for four on the prow  to ourselves on the Rhone last August.

• Like 1

Avalon (and probably a lot others) have tables for 2, however as seen by the photo I "borrowed" from their virtual tour, you are still pretty close to your neighbours. There is also a lighter meal (same menu, but more tapas style) in the lounge where you would probably have no problems selecting seating for a more private table. The picture of the lounge is mostly the areas that will be set for eating (the white chairs) however I'm sure no one will complain if you choose to sit closer to the bar. I believe in the lounge it's more a self serve whereas in the dining room, you will be served if that matters.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 121546.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-10 121909.jpg

• Like 2

One of the reasons I like river cruises is the company. I go on other holidays with my OH but, as we do the same activities together all day, it can be a bit dull to also eat every meal together on our own. On river cruises and also, to an extent, on ocean cruises we've really enjoyed the chance to meet people from very different places and enjoyed their company. We actually ask to join a larger table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Avalon (as previously stated) has tables for 2 as well as a less formal seating option in the Panorama Bistro (same menu just scaled down) AND you can do room service when you want to so you have options.

• Like 1

We sailed Uniworld in France, Italy and down the Danube last summer. There was no assigned seating and we had no trouble finding a table for two when we felt like eating by ourselves. 

• Thanks 1

Scenic’s tables for two in the lounge are for the River Cafe usually open for early breakfast and those who like maybe a lighter lunch, it’s closed in the evenings, the ice cream is superb.

17 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

One of the reasons I like river cruises is the company. I go on other holidays with my OH but, as we do the same activities together all day, it can be a bit dull to also eat every meal together on our own. On river cruises and also, to an extent, on ocean cruises we've really enjoyed the chance to meet people from very different places and enjoyed their company. We actually ask to join a larger table.

We love Ocean and River cruising.

On Ocean cruises if we are not travelling with others, then we eat exclusively at 2 tops.

On River, we do like the variety of people that we sit with and that is mostly at dinner.  We find that breakfast and lunch the people come in and out at different times and tables are not necessarily full.

What we have become is the couple that will walk in and scan the dining room and find a different group of people, or an empty table, so that we can sit with new people and not the same as yesterday.  Easier to make a variety of friends this way and the conversation is never boring.

• Like 3