Zaandam bathroom question

I've seen people posting photos of bathrooms -- some seem to be modern and updated, and others seem to be old and not refurbished. I had read somewhere that upper decks were refurbished and lower decks not.

So....I just called HAL to confirm if my cabin choice (deck 3) was refurbished or not. The agent put me on hold and when she came back she said that she was told that when a ship refurbishes bathrooms they do them all at once -- but photos seem to tell a different story.

Anyone have any insider info? I am specifically looking at cabins around the 3331 / 3332 area.

We were on last August /September. 3393 was not renovated. My parents ended up having 2 different cabins on our b2b cruise. One was renovated one was not both on deck 3.  Sorry I can’t remember their cabin numbers. At that time some were and done were not

3 minutes ago, everbeentoseabilly said:

We were on last August /September. 3393 was not renovated. My parents ended up having 2 different cabins on our b2b cruise. One was renovated one was not both on deck 3.  Sorry I can’t remember their cabin numbers. At that time some were and done were not

Thanks -- that's what I thought -- frustrating that they are claiming otherwise.

I'm hoping someone can tell me about 3331/3332

2 minutes ago, Musigurl said:

Thanks -- that's what I thought -- frustrating that they are claiming otherwise.

I'm hoping someone can tell me about 3331/3332

You are welcome. I just looked up my parents cabin numbers. 3424 was renovated.  3374 was not. Sorry I can’t help with your specific cabins. But maybe some more cabins have been renovated since September…one can hope

Posted (edited)

Cabin 3332 from one year ago this month. All category D (3331-3370) bathrooms on the Zaandam have been remodeled and have large glass enclosed showers. 20230513_055531.thumb.jpg.87dbd6f3dafe10ac9d91d73b72ee38d0.jpg

Edited by Destiny0315
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

Cabin 3332 from one year ago this month. All category D (3331-3370) bathrooms on the Zaandam have been remodeled and have large glass enclosed showers. 20230513_055531.thumb.jpg.87dbd6f3dafe10ac9d91d73b72ee38d0.jpg

I can confirm this.  I’ve stayed in 3335 several times in the last three years.  Also, all Cat C rooms on Deck 2 (Main Deck) have also been done.  The rep was incorrect- they didn’t redo all the bathrooms.  Although that would have made sense, they didn’t.  One of the only maddening things about an otherwise beautiful ship. 

Sorry to be a little off topic here - but what is the difference between Class C and J? And does anybody know if the J's bathrooms have been updated? TIA

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dopey1200 said:

Sorry to be a little off topic here - but what is the difference between Class C and J? And does anybody know if the J's bathrooms have been updated? TIA

C's are mid-ship oceanviews on Main Deck 2 which have (reported above) updated showers. J's are insides on Main and Dolphin Deck 1. J's appear to have only a smallish-shower (no tub) with a shower curtain; I find no reference or photos to suggest that the insides' bathrooms have been updated.

Here is a recent (Aug'23) photo of a length-wise J on Deck 1:

https://halfacts.com/r-class/1877-zaandam/

Edited by crystalspin

31 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

C's are mid-ship oceanviews on Main Deck 2 which have (reported above) updated showers. J's are insides on Main and Dolphin Deck 1. J's appear to have only a smallish-shower (no tub) with a shower curtain; I find no reference or photos to suggest that the insides' bathrooms have been updated.

Here is a recent (Aug'23) photo of a length-wise J on Deck 1:

https://halfacts.com/r-class/1877-zaandam/

Thank you - that was very helpful. My cabin is one deck directly above 1877, so I'm excited to have a slightly bigger cabin. I kind of thought those lengthwise cabins were a little larger, but my cruise consultant would not admit to that. I'd rather have a slightly bigger cabin than a remodeled bathroom!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dopey1200 said:

My cabin is one deck directly above 1877, so I'm excited to have a slightly bigger cabin. I kind of thought those lengthwise cabins were a little larger, but my cruise consultant would not admit to that. I'd rather have a slightly bigger cabin than a remodeled bathroom!

Then you must be in cabin 2619---my favorite cabin on all the R-class ships ever in the fleet. Stayed in them many, many times. 
Yes, it is larger than the other insides by a decent amount. The distance between the couch and the desk is large enough for dancing. 

Personally, I wouldn't care if the bathroom had been remodeled or not, so long as all the features in it work. That cabin always had a large enough shower, a vanity much larger than the outside and higher classes of cabins, with a longer shelf for storage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Then you must be in cabin 2619---my favorite cabin on all the R-class ships ever in the fleet. Stayed in them many, many times. 
Yes, it is larger than the other insides by a decent amount. The distance between the couch and the desk is large enough for dancing. 

Personally, I wouldn't care if the bathroom had been remodeled or not, so long as all the features in it work. That cabin always had a large enough shower, a vanity much larger than the outside and higher classes of cabins, with a longer shelf for storage. 

I am so happy to hear this! I get a bit claustrophobic in some of the insides, but I can't afford to pay for anything bigger. Were you ever bothered by sounds from the stairs or elevators? 

1 hour ago, dopey1200 said:

Were you ever bothered by sounds from the stairs or elevators? 

Never. But then I sleep like the dead. 

The bed's headboard is against the cross passageway. The desk and a closet are on the stair side of the cabin. The bathroom and the other closets are against the crew passageway. 
On the Rotterdam there was even an extra outlet on the long passageway wall! But the other three R-class ships didn't have that feature. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 2:32 PM, Destiny0315 said:

Nice!!  I read somewhere Zaandam's Penthouse x 2 powder rooms got redone also in her most recent Haeju drydock

Pin by Katie Jesus on Home Sweet Home | Dream bathrooms, Luxury bathroom,  Home

• Haha 3