Pearson - E Gates

Currently sitting here waiting for our flight to board and head to Barcelona.  

This area is not great.  Limited sit down food selections if you want a place to also charge your devices before your next big flight. 

it’s pretty  crappy over hear- meh expensive food & drinks, limited seating… but on the other side is a Med Cruise so I will suck it up   But glad we don’t fly out of here often. (Usually we are via Calgary)

• Haha 1

Travelling to anywhere through Toronto Pearson Airport is like a torture chamber.  It seems like you are a criminal the minute you enter the airport and get nothing but yelled at until you put your tired body in the aircraft seat.  They have done everything they can to make sure the traveller is uncomfortable for the entire airport experience.  But alas you are right-there is always a wonderful destination and happy experience once you exit the chamber.  

• Like 1

Wait till you guys travel to many other airports.  In some other airports there's no heating in the winter.  In some others there's no A/C in the summer.  In many airports there's no place to buy any food, and definitely not finding charging stations.   Many airports don't provide wifi (try Cairo).

At Pearson at least they seem to have improved in getting people through immigration, and the luggages are coming out fast enough.  We've travelled quite a bit since Covid, and have seen so many airports where luggages come out much much slower.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Wait till you guys travel to many other airports.  In some other airports there's no heating in the winter.  In some others there's no A/C in the summer.  In many airports there's no place to buy any food, and definitely not finding charging stations.   Many airports don't provide wifi (try Cairo).

At Pearson at least they seem to have improved in getting people through immigration, and the luggages are coming out fast enough.  We've travelled quite a bit since Covid, and have seen so many airports where luggages come out much much slower.

Have to agree , for a home airport Person is pretty good , there a lot of direct flights to a lot of places 

• Like 1

The biggest hold up is getting through security & if travelling to the States it's pre clearing US customs. It doesn't matter were in the world you fly in to / out off it's when you finally get on your plane that you can start to enjoy your trip.

Born and raised in the greater Toronto area and Pearson has been my primary airport.

I will admit that there are many better airports in Europe and especially in Asia, perhaps I am numb to what Pearson really is.

Yes, it is over crowded, and the food outlets suck, but we know that and are prepared for that so I guess we enter with low or no expectations.

We pay for the credit cards that give us Maple Leaf Lounge access and this makes the experience a bit better.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ski ww said:

The biggest hold up is getting through security & if travelling to the States it's pre clearing US customs. It doesn't matter were in the world you fly in to / out off it's when you finally get on your plane that you can start to enjoy your trip.

If leaving from Pearson, google - YYZ Express - you fill in the information up to 72 hours before your flight - airline, flight #, date, number of passengers, email - you will receive a QR Code.  At both USA and Canada/International Security there is a sign for EXPRESS, they scan your QR Code, you are first in line going through Security.

If coming back to Canada, use ArriveCAN app, fill in your information up to 72 hr before your flight.  Follow EXPRESS at Immigration/Customs area, since your information is already attached to your passport.  When I used ArriveCAN in Feb, only one family in front on me at Immigration/Customs vs the regular line which had a long line for the kiosks then Immigration/Customs.

• Thanks 1

We got Nexus a few years ago.  So for pre-clearance to US on the way out,

or coming back to a Canadian entry point, Nexus has helped to get to the shorter line.  It works when driving too.

Then again, in the last few trips, in YYZ, we found the non-Nexus lines are also not too long and people to get through US pre-clearance, or Canadian immigration on return pretty fast.

There are many credit cards that would rebate Nexus application fees, so for years I've been telling friends and relatives to get Nexus.

3 hours ago, phabric said:

If leaving from Pearson, google - YYZ Express - you fill in the information up to 72 hours before your flight - airline, flight #, date, number of passengers, email - you will receive a QR Code.  At both USA and Canada/International Security there is a sign for EXPRESS, they scan your QR Code, you are first in line going through Security.

If coming back to Canada, use ArriveCAN app, fill in your information up to 72 hr before your flight.  Follow EXPRESS at Immigration/Customs area, since your information is already attached to your passport.  When I used ArriveCAN in Feb, only one family in front on me at Immigration/Customs vs the regular line which had a long line for the kiosks then Immigration/Customs.

That’s really fantastic…I suppose this is only when your point of departure is Toronto. We don’t have any chance to get onto this if we’re stuck there for long periods due to connection issues. But if we decided to find our way from Ottawa to YYZ …. that could be a game changer …if not for me then my kids! 

13 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Born and raised in the greater Toronto area and Pearson has been my primary airport.

I will admit that there are many better airports in Europe and especially in Asia, perhaps I am numb to what Pearson really is.

Yes, it is over crowded, and the food outlets suck, but we know that and are prepared for that so I guess we enter with low or no expectations.

We pay for the credit cards that give us Maple Leaf Lounge access and this makes the experience a bit better.

Can you tell me what credit cards give you Maple Leaf Lounge access & is there a fee for the card.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Tango99 said:

That’s really fantastic…I suppose this is only when your point of departure is Toronto. We don’t have any chance to get onto this if we’re stuck there for long periods due to connection issues. But if we decided to find our way from Ottawa to YYZ …. that could be a game changer …if not for me then my kids! 

I know Vancouver has something like YYZ Express and maybe Ottawa and other big airports have it.

12 minutes ago, phabric said:

I know Vancouver has something like YYZ Express and maybe Ottawa and other big airports have it.

Not Ottawa, at least not as yet. The only airports with Express currently are Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

This webpage provides a good overview of their varying hours of operation, terminals and other points of interest: https://princeoftravel.com/guides/express-security/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, phabric said:

Nnnnope! From Fouremco’s post it looks like only the 4 major International airports as designated during the pandemic has that EXPRESS benefit and only to customers in the immediate vicinity of airport at Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. And Ottawa is still waiting for those flights to return. I have Nexus and it doesn’t help as much as EXpress seems to.  Aaaargh! We just got our first international flight resumption from Air France last July … once a week. It’s hellish trying to get direct flights even to Florida. So we’re travelling at home this year. 

10 hours ago, do it again said:

Can you tell me what credit cards give you Maple Leaf Lounge access & is there a fee for the card.

Thanks

We have a TD Infinite Privilege card and it gives AC lounge access.

This one is $599 per year, but if you look at all the additional benefits of this card on top of the lounge access such as the companion ticket once annually, the fee is paid for pretty quickly.

We have been playing with cards over the last year and because we have more or less exhausted our AC benefits from new cards and first year bonuses we are looking for new strategies.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

We have a TD Infinite Privilege card and it gives AC lounge access.

This one is $599 per year, but if you look at all the additional benefits of this card on top of the lounge access such as the companion ticket once annually, the fee is paid for pretty quickly.

We have been playing with cards over the last year and because we have more or less exhausted our AC benefits from new cards and first year bonuses we are looking for new strategies.

One thing also with the Infinite Privilege cards , is the insurance if you are over 65. , as it provides 10 days of medical insurance instead of 3 and the top up days cost is very reasonable 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

One thing also with the Infinite Privilege cards , is the insurance if you are over 65. , as it provides 10 days of medical insurance instead of 3 and the top up days cost is very reasonable 

Did not know that... I am not yet 65 but it is not far down the road...  

What about pre-existing conditions?

Thanks for the info.

We currently have the TD Visa Infinite Travel (primarily used card for Expedia poits) and the TD Infinite Aeroplan  (rarely used)... but maybe swap them both for Priviledge. Our fees are currently waved on the first card ... so see what they will offer us to swap them over (maybe wave the 2nd card fee or something?)

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Did not know that... I am not yet 65 but it is not far down the road...  

What about pre-existing conditions?

Never had to worry about that

yet ! 😁

it is run by Allianz Global Assistance

31 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Never had to worry about that

yet ! 😁

it is run by Allianz Global Assistance

You are so lucky...

We are coming out of the "haze" of a couple of pre-existing conditions where all meds have now been stopped because the threat is over... but that stoppage of medication makes the condition pre-existing and of more concern - unstable for the next 90 days and 180 days.

Well, for the next 90 days for cancellation, but for medical claim while travelling it is 180 days.

Just now, CDNPolar said:

You are so lucky...

We are coming out of the "haze" of a couple of pre-existing conditions where all meds have now been stopped because the threat is over... but that stoppage of medication makes the condition pre-existing and of more concern - unstable for the next 90 days and 180 days.

Well, for the next 90 days for cancellation, but for medical claim while travelling it is 180 days.

Luckily they don’t included my replacement parts as a pre-existing condition 🤣

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 7:41 PM, Middleager said:

And try finding a SEAT in Cairo. I think they have enough for 24 people when I am catching the Air Egypt home (12:30 a.m. if you are lucky), until you go through the 2nd security [and need to dump the water you bought after 1st security]....and then it increases to what? 100?

Edited by Dismomx5