Traveling with my 13 yo grandson advice

DonnaDave

I am traveling on a Mediterranean cruise on majestic Princess April 2025.  I was wondering if there is any advice on port tours in the following places.  I have often hired Tours by locals as I find the cruise line tours are often very pricey.  Which of the following ports is it not worth just exploring on our own without booking a tour as it does get quite pricey booking tours in each port for 3 people. This is my grandson's first trip to Europe.   Any advice in the following ports is most welcomed.

Rome---  we got this as we have been here several times

Naples-  my grandson wants to see pompeii.  I was considering Tours by locals to do this area and then on to Sorrento

Messina-  Any ideas?  Can we just walk the area on our own.  Is there enough to see in this port without doing a tour?

Malta-  no idea  

Crete Greece-?  

Kotor-?

Dubrovnik=  was thinking of just walking around on our own-- We have been there before and I thought he would love to walk inside the walls

Split-?

ending in Venice and spending a few days  

Posted (edited)

It's very easy to get to Pompei on your own from the port in Naples.  You can join a guided tour at the entrance to the ruins for a modest fee, then wander around on your own afterwards.  When you are ready to push on to Sorrento there is a local train.  Finally, you can take a ferry back from Sorrento to Naples, landing adjacent to the cruise port.

What day of the week will you be in Naples, and what are your hours in port?  This is important if you will be using public transportation.

Perhaps your grandson would enjoy putting this day together, we can provide you with the links for all of the transportation options and timing and help craft the day.  I know most of our kids (there was one holdout) enjoyed doing things like this in preparation for a trip, it ramped up the excitement for them and helped fill the time waiting until it was time to go.

Edited by euro cruiser

15 hours ago, DonnaDave said:

Dubrovnik=  was thinking of just walking around on our own-- We have been there before and I thought he would love to walk inside the walls

If he's a Game of Thrones fan, read up on sites in Dubrovnik that were used as locations in the series. Many of them are easy to find on your own, but there are various tours available too.

Your grandson is a lucky young man!

Yes, I agree Dubrovnik is a good place to save your excursion money and walk on your own.   Of course Venice as well, can walk on your own during your couple there day stay.

In Malta we hired a local for a walking tour of Valetta with an included van ride to Mdina and a walking tour there.   I thought it was money well spent and it was not a real long excursion not was it overly pricey from what I remember.   

Dubrovnik is easy to do solo.  I did do a short, 90ish minute tour when I was there the first time.  Last year, I think I took just a cab to the square and had brunch.

In Kotor, I did a short Tuk Tuk Tour which wasn't expensive, also not too long, and kind of fun.

21 hours ago, megr1125 said:

Dubrovnik is easy to do solo.  I did do a short, 90ish minute tour when I was there the first time.  Last year, I think I took just a cab to the square and had brunch.

In Kotor, I did a short Tuk Tuk Tour which wasn't expensive, also not too long, and kind of fun.

On our second trip to Dubrovnik we got the cable car up to see the views.  I’m pretty sure that you could do the walls then walk round to the cable car station- although there was a wait.  I’m pretty sure that a taxi from the port was as cheap as a shuttle.  You could perhaps take a taxi straight to cable car station.  Great views.  Then walk back to the walls.  

It is important to get kids involved with planning, especially because DIY always means getting out early.  If they have stayed up late having met new friends in the kids club, early mornings to places they are not invested in can result in grumpy faces.  Or just accept that kids just don’t appreciate travel.  What we think of as an interesting canal cruise of X turns into the opportunity for a nap to the kids.  Mine were polite but just did not get how fortunate they were for travel opportunities as teenagers.  As soon as they hit their twenties they have really taken off and have passport stamps that I could have only dreamed of when I was their age.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 1:35 PM, DonnaDave said:

Messina-  Any ideas?  Can we just walk the area on our own.  Is there enough to see in this port without doing a tour?

Malta-  no idea  

Crete Greece-?  

Kotor-?

Split-?

Most of these ports are very easy DIY, with some already mentioned in previous replies.

Split you can see from your ship.  10/15 minutes slow paced walk past the ferries and the bus station and you are there.

Dubrovnik also very easy to DIY.

Kotor you will tender into town or dock there.  You only need cross the road to enter the historic area. Be up on deck approx. an hour before arrival as the sail-in is beautifully scenic and not to be missed.

Malta is also easy DIY as there is plenty to see and do in Valletta itself. Wonderful sail in to the Grand harbour, one of the best sail-ins since Venice is no longer possible. Best views are forward and starboard.

Messina doesn't offer much and most on a first visit opt for either Moun Etna or Taormina or a combo.

If you have not already read past threads which are full of info and tips, you should do so for all your ports  using the fast and easy SEARCH tool.  If you do not know how to use it, go to the main page on the correct (according to CC) geographical forum.  Do not go to an individual thread.  insert the name of one of your ports in the empty search box under your user name then hit the little spy glass.  Note that the dropdown should have defaulted to "this forum".  All previous threads containing that word should appear in seconds ready for you to decide which to read.  (repeat for each port in turn (on the correct geographical forum)

You mention Crete but you forgot to say which town and there are a few options.

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)

also browse the usual official local Tourism websites, Tripadvisor, YouTube, Frommer's, Fodors, Lonely Planet, Rick Steves and anything else which appears when you google " (name of town) tourist info".

To ease your workload, your grandson may enjoy helping with this.

Edited by edinburgher