What happens if primary passenger is handicapped ... you have an accessible cabin... but suddenly he cannot go...?

I may want to go alone or take someone with me... but 1) I do not qualify for handicapped cabin and frankly would prefer to make it available to someone who needs it and 2) since he is the primary passenger... can I replace him on the booking? Would the cruise line be amenable to switching me to another cabin... ship looks pretty full. I am not sure this is going to happen..but he has been hinting that he may not be up for the trip. Final payment due at the end of the month.

Just trying to figure out options...other than cancelling before final payment. Anyone have similar experience.

TIA

It doesn't matter if he is the primary passenger as long as 1 of you stay on the reservation you can substitute the other passenger. As for the handicap cabin....see if they have a non-handicap in the same category you can switch to...or else just stay in the cabin you have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

It doesn't matter if he is the primary passenger as long as 1 of you stay on the reservation you can substitute the other passenger. As for the handicap cabin....see if they have a non-handicap in the same category you can switch to...or else just stay in the cabin you have.

I agree. Even if the op switched cabins, the next person getting it is not likely going to need handicapped cabin either

I compliment you on your intent to give up the cabin to someone who really needs it. While it is true that there are those out there who don't really need one and book it anyway, I was once in the position to desperately need one a few weeks before sailing due to an accident that left me in a wheelchair. Fortunately there was one available. 

Call the Crown and Anchor number and explain the situation. They will work with you to come up with a suitable alternative.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

No need to cancel. Try to find someone to replace him, but if no takers, just stay in that room.

So, it's "all about me?"  This response is sad in that it doesn't  take into consideration the possible needs of another human being.  

Kudos to the OP for wanting to do the right thing and make the cabin available to someone who really needs it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, yogimax said:

So, it's "all about me?"  This response is sad in that it doesn't  take into consideration the possible needs of another human being.  

Kudos to the OP for wanting to do the right thing and make the cabin available to someone who really needs it.

No need to go high and mighty.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, yogimax said:

The way it is is that as soon as the op moves from that cabin it will go into inventory where anyone can have it because the cruise is so close.

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No need to go high and mighty.

@smokeybandit. I'm alays polite and respectful of everyon's opinion on  Cruise Critic. I value all your opinions.

In this particular question, I am with @yogimax I don't think he meant to be high and mighty.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

@smokeybandit. I'm alays polite and respectful of everyon's opinion on  Cruise Critic. I value all your opinions.

In this particular question, I am with @yogimax I don't think he meant to be high and mighty.

Quite right.  Those who are handicapped are going through enough as it stands. RCCL has rightly seen fit to meet their needs by setting aside a limited number of cabins for their use. 

Again, Kudos to the OP for wanting to do the right thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

JMHO, genuinely consider moving cabins. There may be someone who really needs it.

The problem being before the end these hc cabins are open for anyone to book.

Even if they are or are not hc, no one knows as it's against the law for a cruiseline to ask what the disability is. I've dealt with a hc sister, I'm sure they cant ask. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

Quite right.  Those who are handicapped are going through enough as it stands. RCCL has rightly seen fit to meet their needs by setting aside a limited number of cabins for their use

Again, Kudos to the OP for wanting to do the right thing.

They do. But by final payment they are releasd to anyone

Odds are someone else will claim that room who also doesn't need an accessible room. Not because they're a bad person, but because RC allows it.

I appreciate wanting to free up a room for someone who needs it, but unless you absolutely know that the room will shift to someone who needs it, then it's not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Call RC and see what the status of the handicapped rooms are.  The other rooms may have already been released depending on how close you are to sailing.  IF they tell you to keep the room, when you board you can go to the front desk and leave them a message telling them you'd be willing to switch if someone is injured while on the cruise or contacts them telling them they need a handicapped cabin.  You didn't try to deliberately game the system, so if RC cannot redistribute your cabin you should just keep it with a clear conscience.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

Call RC and see what the status of the handicapped rooms are.  The other rooms may have already been released depending on how close you are to sailing.  IF they tell you to keep the room, when you board you can go to the front desk and leave them a message telling them you'd be willing to switch if someone is injured while on the cruise or contacts them telling them they need a handicapped cabin.  You didn't try to deliberately game the system, so if RC cannot redistribute your cabin you should just keep it with a clear conscience.  

This is spot on. 

18 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Great idea... we are still 3+ months away... today is a good day for DH... so we are on again...but I need to have a plan should that change.

I booked a cruise close to the cruise date . The RC rep offered me a handicap cabin as he told me people that need this type of cabin book well in advance and are not last minute planners .

He said if they didnt offer these types of cabins to the general public close to the cruise date , they would go empty.

3 hours ago, kearney said:

Great idea... we are still 3+ months away... today is a good day for DH... so we are on again...but I need to have a plan should that change.

So glad!  I hope he is able to make it and you both have a wonderful cruise, but if not please go by yourself and enjoy.  Your conscience is completely clear.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

So glad!  I hope he is able to make it and you both have a wonderful cruise, but if not please go by yourself and enjoy.  Your conscience is completely clear.

Thanks a lot.... we really need to get away.

• Like 1