Stateroom alcohol purchase question

Posted (edited)

Greetings beautiful cruise people! 

I'm sailing on HAL for an Alaskan cruise in August. My husband and I both have the premium beverage package. We were thinking about ordering an additional bottle of booze for our stateroom, but the prices don't add up. I'm hoping to get some help. 

According to the website, I can order a bottle of Bacardi white rum for in room consumption for $106.20. On the same list, I can order a Bacardi white rum and Coke package that includes a bottle of rum and three cans of Coke for $82.60. according to the description, both packages include a 1 litre bottle of booze. As my husband so eloquently put it, this just doesn't pass the smell test. 

Even if I hated Coke, why wouldn't I order this package over the single bottle if the price is cheaper and the amount of alcohol is the same? Does anyone have any experience with this? Is the website wrong? 

I put in a call to customer service and they've told me to call back on Monday and ask them to contact ship services, but thought in the meantime I would ask the community and depending upon the answer, possibly provide an educational service as well. 😉

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ragdoll39

Posted (edited)

Often the packages are less in cost than buying al a carte. I would order the package and throw away the cokes if not wanted. With the premium drinks package you can always order drinks at any bar and bring them back to your cabin. We prefer that to having a bottle in the cabin.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, tony s said:

Ask the size of the bottles.

That's what I'm going to do when I call back, but the website plainly states that all the bottles are one liter. That's where I'm confused. I find it hard to believe that the cruise line would bundle the package like internet companies do, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. Thanks!

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

Often the packages are less in cost than buying al a carte. I would order the package and throw away the cokes if not wanted. With the premium drinks package you can always order drinks at any bar and bring them back to your cabin. We prefer that to having a bottle in the cabin.

Thanks Terrydtx. I know we can bring drinks back, but sometimes my husband and I just like to have a late night cocktail or maybe put a dash of rum in our coffee in the morning, or just have a pre-dinner cocktail and don't want to run down to the bar and bring it back. The prices are stupid high to begin with, but it just seems odd that they would actually give you a deal on something when they nickel and dime you on every single thing aboard these ships. I appreciate your input.

2 minutes ago, highscar said:

If ordering just a shot of liqueur what is the measurement.  Ounce. 

I honestly don't know. My experience is it can vary anywhere from 1 to 2 oz. My husband and I usually try to develop a rapport with a single bartender and always tip better and we usually get very good treatment. Still, we were just looking to possibly have a bottle in the cabin and if we can get more for less money, that would obviously be better!

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ragdoll39 said:

I honestly don't know. My experience is it can vary anywhere from 1 to 2 oz. My husband and I usually try to develop a rapport with a single bartender and always tip better and we usually get very good treatment. Still, we were just looking to possibly have a bottle in the cabin and if we can get more for less money, that would obviously be better!

I am sure your favorite bartender would give you a couple of rum shots on you drinks package to take back and keep in your cabin. On one of our cruises last year we ordered a bottle of Gin for our cabin and only ended up drinking less than half the bottle, so shots would have saved us a lot. We couldn't take the unused bottle home as we were flying internationally.

Edited by terrydtx

22 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I am sure your favorite bartender would give you a couple of rum shots on you drinks package to take back and keep in your cabin. On one of our cruises last year we ordered a bottle of Gin for our cabin and only ended up drinking less than half the bottle, so shots would have saved us a lot. We couldn't take the unused bottle home as we were flying internationally.

I think you're probably right about that. On a cruise my husband and I took last year, we frequented one bar and bartender, and he was fantastic. He would pour me a big glass of vodka and give me a bunch of olives on the side. I was just toying with the idea of having a bottle in the room and when I saw the disparity of prices I just thought it I would ask if anyone had any experience with it. We haven't really made up her mind yet, but it is good to know I think. If you can get more for less, everyone loves that! 😊

27 minutes ago, dockman said:

Can't you just get a few shots on your package and pour it into a bottle to have in your room?

My personal experience is that they are often really picky about that on cruise ships. They won't sell me two drinks if my husband isn't with me. We both have to be present. They scan your room key so that they can log the number of drinks you have per day. It's really rather ridiculous, but I seriously doubt they would give me a few shots to take back to my room unless I make friends with a bartender which I fully intend to do. I don't want to make us come off like a couple of lushes or anything, but we do enjoy our vacations and our cocktails when we're on vacation. My husband and I don't really care to hang out in bars. We really would prefer to sit on our balcony and enjoy the view while having a cocktail.

2 minutes ago, ragdoll39 said:

They won't sell me two drinks if my husband isn't with me. We both have to be present. They scan your room key so that they can log the number of drinks you have per day.

I have never had a problem getting 2 alcoholic drinks at a time - whether DH was with me or not, whether from a server or at the bar. DH orders a double gin & tonic plus a double wine at the beginning of all MDR meals - I order just a cocktail and a soft drink then.

33 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Not sure there is a problem with flying home internationally with a liter or less of liquor.  In March we left our Seabourn ship with an almost full liter of Jack Daniels in Keelung.  Packed it in my large suitcase, flew to Korea and then on to Seattle.  At SEA the customs person asked if I had any alcohol and I told him most of a liter of Jack Daniels.  He said "No problem" and waived us on.

Ray

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ragdoll39 said:

My personal experience is that they are often really picky about that on cruise ships. They won't sell me two drinks if my husband isn't with me. We both have to be present. They scan your room key so that they can log the number of drinks you have per day. It's really rather ridiculous, but I seriously doubt they would give me a few shots to take back to my room unless I make friends with a bartender which I fully intend to do. I don't want to make us come off like a couple of lushes or anything, but we do enjoy our vacations and our cocktails when we're on vacation. My husband and I don't really care to hang out in bars. We really would prefer to sit on our balcony and enjoy the view while having a cocktail.

i have done it several times...take a small flask with me order a double and walk away and pour it into flask...maybe go to couple different bars....its not like u are stealing it as you already paid for it with your package..  I agree i prefer to sit on balcony rather than a bar and to enjoy that better to have booze in your room.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I have never had a problem getting 2 alcoholic drinks at a time - whether DH was with me or not, whether from a server or at the bar. DH orders a double gin & tonic plus a double wine at the beginning of all MDR meals - I order just a cocktail and a soft drink then.

I'm not disputing you. I'll definitely give that a shot, and I have had limited success in the past with just taking my husband's cruise card with me, but it has varied by cruise line. It's been a while since I have sailed with HAL. Really though, my interest is in the pricing that they're giving for the in room alcohol. Thank you!

45 minutes ago, dockman said:

i have done it several times...take a small flask with me order a double and walk away and pour it into flask...maybe go to couple different bars....its not like u are stealing it as you already paid for it with your package..  I agree i prefer to sit on balcony rather than a bar and to enjoy that better to have booze in your room.

That's a hell of an idea! I definitely have a couple of flasks that I can take along or just an empty water bottle would do. Might go that way. Thank you!

• Thanks 1

I think confirming with Ships Services is a great idea. And then snapshot a picture of the purchase you choose to make and be sure the bottle size shows and take this with you on the cruise. Ask for a price adjustment if they pull some other trick at product delivery. 

1 hour ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

I think confirming with Ships Services is a great idea. And then snapshot a picture of the purchase you choose to make and be sure the bottle size shows and take this with you on the cruise. Ask for a price adjustment if they pull some other trick at product delivery. 

I'll definitely do that, and take a snapshot of the page as well. I'll also come back and let you know what they told me, and then if I decide to purchase the package, I'll come back and let everyone know what the outcome was. I mean, if we do decide to order a bottle and can save money and actually get more products, it's a win for everyone. Thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ragdoll39 said:

That's a hell of an idea! I definitely have a couple of flasks that I can take along or just an empty water bottle would do. Might go that way. Thank you!

Good luck...i never had any problem doing this...sometimes i just go into restroom and pour into flask or water bottle....if u also have one of those tiny funnels it makes it even easier....go to several bars and repeat and next thing u know u have a flask full to use where and when you choose.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I had no problem being offered doubles of Remy Martin each evening and could take a double to the room for a night cap!

Regarding wine, I've not personally done this but it may make sense for some people (or me at some point in the future) - bring an extra insulated metal water bottle.  Get a glass of wine at a bar, pour it into the bottle. Get another of the same glass of wine, pour it into the water bottle (repeat as needed). Store in your stateroom fridge/mini bar. Now you have wine for consumption in the stateroom or on the verandah. This works with HIA assuming you're not also drinking 15 drinks a day elsewhere 😉

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i like to sit on an outside deck chair at sunset time and drink a few glasses of wine...even with the app and drink package it is a pain to get a tiny glass of wine delivered to you quickly ..by the time i get it delivered i need to order another one as it will be gone before he gets back with another glass.....much easier to do as said and fill up a bottle to take with you and pour your own... those tiny little pours of a glass of wine don't last me very long at all til i need another glass...

12 hours ago, dockman said:

i like to sit on an outside deck chair at sunset time and drink a few glasses of wine...even with the app and drink package it is a pain to get a tiny glass of wine delivered to you quickly ..by the time i get it delivered i need to order another one as it will be gone before he gets back with another glass.....much easier to do as said and fill up a bottle to take with you and pour your own... those tiny little pours of a glass of wine don't last me very long at all til i need another glass...

Exactly! We'll either squirrel some away or we'll just order a bottle. I'm tempted to just make the purchase for research purposes. 😄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Room service drinks are not included in drinks packages.

As far as i can recall u can order  drink off the app to be delivered to you on an outside deck....never tried to order to my room so don't know and don't care as i prefer to sit on outside deck somewhere but not sit in a bar