Binoculars for glasses wearers

Grace61

Sailing on the Royal Princess in June from Whittier to Vancouver.  I keep seeing recommendations that binoculars are a must, especially sitting on your balcony to get a good view.  I wear glasses, and often binoculars for me have been difficult, Yes you can scoot your glasses up or take them off, but it's a hassle. I've seen some marketed to glasses wearers, but there are so many choices.

Also, I don't really have much use for binoculars in everyday life, so I don't want to be too spendy on them

Any personal recommendations for binoculars? Especially for glasses wearers.  How much zoom do I need for cruising viewing?  Would probably prefer more compact, if possible.  Less than $100- I know that may be low for what I'm looking for, but for how much I think I'll use them..   

For former Alaskan cruisers- did you use binoculars a lot?  Would I feel like I was missing out if I don't have them?

1 hour ago, Grace61 said:

Sailing on the Royal Princess in June from Whittier to Vancouver.  I keep seeing recommendations that binoculars are a must, especially sitting on your balcony to get a good view.  I wear glasses, and often binoculars for me have been difficult, Yes you can scoot your glasses up or take them off, but it's a hassle. I've seen some marketed to glasses wearers, but there are so many choices.

Also, I don't really have much use for binoculars in everyday life, so I don't want to be too spendy on them

Any personal recommendations for binoculars? Especially for glasses wearers.  How much zoom do I need for cruising viewing?  Would probably prefer more compact, if possible.  Less than $100- I know that may be low for what I'm looking for, but for how much I think I'll use them..   

For former Alaskan cruisers- did you use binoculars a lot?  Would I feel like I was missing out if I don't have them?

I think that the best option is to buy a decent pair of binoculars that has an adjustable right-side eyepiece that you can use to focus the lens to fit your need for correction, and then use the main focus bar to focus the rest of the way.  This entails taking your glasses off.  This is going to be far superior to using binoculars with glasses on.  That just never really works well.  And if taking your glasses on and off repeatedly is a pain, then add a chain or strap to them so that they hang from your neck.  This pair functions that way and should be in your price range.  The promotional photos that accompany the description explain how to align, focus the right eye, and then focus the whole thing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CRBC2QT9/ref=twister_B0CWD1W5KG?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

I know that this isn't exactly what you asked about, but I think it really is the best solution unless your right eye eyesight is so bad that the lens adjustment for that eye won't compensate for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are many websites devoted to binoculars.  Reviews for the "best" in different price ranges, how to use articles, and all sorts of information.  Probably many YouTube videos too, although I haven't really searched for them.

You can get really cheap "travel" binocs on Amazon and multi-thousand-dollar binocs designed for serious birders, hunters, and shooters.  As JimmyV says above, you use them without glasses.

Do some research and I'm sure you can find a pair that suits your needs and meets your budget.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Grace61 said:

Any personal recommendations for binoculars? Especially for glasses wearers.  How much zoom do I need for cruising viewing?  Would probably prefer more compact, if possible.  Less than $100- 

Need has to be the important issue, which only you can say. Cheap optics are frustrating, good ones are expensive. I bought a good brand at a garage sale used for a sweet price. Maybe you have local ads in print or Craigslist? Buy used and save.

Rubber pads on the eyepieces protect from scratching eyeglass lenses. 

We like nature and looking up shIps we see on Cruisemapper. But I really noticed on this last cruise how different we all are. Most people don't care. Just decide whether it's important enough to buy and pack.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sharing binoculars can be an issue, too, as everyone has different vision.

Refocusing each time the pair are handed back to you can be a little annoying, especially if what you want to view is fleeting (e.g. a whale or a bird). Ideally, each person should have their own pair...

JimmyVwine is right about getting binos that allow for independent focusing for each eyepiece.

Frankly, poor quality binoculars can be a real disappointment in several ways. You get what you pay for. A good test is to focus on a planet at night. Is the image sharp? Is there a double image?

Having said that, on something like an Alaskan cruise or a Panama Canal transit, where the shoreline is nearby, a good pair will show you things and detail others do not see. Is that a rock or a bear? Is that a log or a crocodile? In the open sea, that pod of dolphins or that breaching whale come a lot closer. Watching a calving glacier through binoculars is stunning.

Good binoculars are not cheap binoculars; always use the neck strap. Housing such delicate, precision optics, after they hit the floor just once they will never be the same.

Lastly, I pack a mono-pod and a mounting bracket on cruises. It greatly helps to steady the binos, as the ship rocks. Good for photos with a camera or phone, too. Get one that extends far enough to allow you to have the binoculars at eye level when standing upright.

Edited by Canuker
  • Thanks 1

Just back from my first ever cruise to Alaska.  For me, having binoculars on the balcony really enhanced our cruise experience I took a heavy, expensive pair.  I wear glasses.  My binoculars do not cater for glass wearers (to be honest I didn’t even know that was an option) and they were great.  Exciting to spot  a breaching whale, quite a few humpback whales, many many otters &  bald eagles, seals and look for mountain goats - all from our balcony.

Just wish I’d thought to take the binoculars on the zodiac Whale watch we did out of Nanaimo pre-cruise.  We followed & then observed 3 Orcas around the sound for about an hour.

1 hour ago, Grace61 said:

Thanks everyone!  Appreciate all the input

Wait until you get into the pros and cons of roof prism vs. porro prism and the magnification/field of view combinations.  Are 10x42 "better" than 8x42?  What about coated vs. not coated lenses? Nikon vs. Swarovski vs. Bushnell vs. no-name brands?   It's a rabbit hole that can consume hours and be very confusing.

If you have a sporting goods store or a place like Cabela's near you, pay them a visit and try out a few pairs and see what you like and what you want to pay.

8 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Wait until you get into the pros and cons of roof prism vs. porro prism and the magnification/field of view combinations.  Are 10x42 "better" than 8x42?  What about coated vs. not coated lenses? Nikon vs. Swarovski vs. Bushnell vs. no-name brands?   It's a rabbit hole that can consume hours and be very confusing.

If you have a sporting goods store or a place like Cabela's near you, pay them a visit and try out a few pairs and see what you like and what you want to pay.

Thanks, yes I've been down that rabbit hole, that's why I posted the question- hoping for a "this is the one!" short cut.  We have a Bass Pro, Dicks and REI nearby so I'll have to check them out.  

21 minutes ago, Grace61 said:

Thanks, yes I've been down that rabbit hole, that's why I posted the question- hoping for a "this is the one!" short cut.  We have a Bass Pro, Dicks and REI nearby so I'll have to check them out.  

There ain't no "this is the one" out there, but good luck and vaya con Dios in your search.

21 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I have the same issues. And one eye is much worse than the other. I've given up on binoculars and now have a monocular. It works great because I can adjust the focus for the eye I am using.

I have this one, $75.

https://www.rei.com/product/203791/nocs-provisions-zoom-tube-8-x-32-monocular-telescope

I agree, I have this too and find it works perfectly for me and DH uses the binoculars.

Wearing your glasses will improve your focus and reduce eye fatigue. For nature viewing you can try it without glasses (I use them for stargazing and for that you want to keep your glasses on for sharper focus). You want to keep the eyecups extended if you do not use glasses and fold them down if you wear glasses. 

For nature 8x42 would be good. The first number (8) represents the magnification, the second (42) represents the diameter of the objective lens. Note that the higher the magnification the smaller your field of vision is. The bigger the objective lens the more light that is gathered and the better the focus. As the lenses get bigger the binocular weight will increase.

Roof prism binoculars will have the eyepieces and objective lens aligned and have that H shape. Porro prism binoculars are the older classic ones that have wide barrels in the front and don't line up with the eyepieces. Roof prism may be more expensive but will weigh less.

For stargazing I use 8x56 porro prism which takes in more light than say 8x42. However, the larger lenses result in a total weight of 38 ounces, so I need a tripod for stargazing. I can still use them in Alaska since a little hand movement for nature viewing is not critical. 

As others suggested you may want to ask someone to show you some in a store. Binoculars are often waterproofed / fog proofed which is good for Alaska climate.

If you have an outdoor store like Cabelas in your area, go there and tell the clerk what you are looking for.  We wanted lightweight binoculars for our granddaughters for an Alaska cruise.  Better ones tend to be expensive and heavy.  We actually bought two 10x50 Vortex Diamondback for them for around $130 each less a lot of discounts (new account, Monday,  new member).  Same brand as we own.  Lifetime guarantee and repair.   But other brands were as low as $80 and some over $3000 (those were fantastic but weighed a ton).  Store had about 50 types in stock so lots of choices. Puck a few in your price range and try them in the store. 

• Thanks 1

I recommend a monocular.  I have one and like it.  I cannot get binoculars to focus especially with glasses. I also like the monocular because it is small and will fit in my purse or bookbag when traveling. Since it fits in my purse, I was able to use it while riding the train in Switzerland this spring.

• Thanks 1