Embarkation day

blg

I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find it. Perhaps it's because it doesn't exist. I seem to remember that there was a reception for 4 star Mariners + in the Crowsnet on embarkation afternoon. I may just be remembering something else, but just wanted to know for sure. Thanks all.

I can recall these receptions which were hosted in the Crowsnest.  My wife and I enjoyed attending these "come and go" affairs.  Our post-covid travels, aboard Holland America Line, have not observed these receptions.  It's likely another cost saving measure, by the "bean counters" in Seattle.

3 hours ago, blg said:

I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find it. Perhaps it's because it doesn't exist. I seem to remember that there was a reception for 4 star Mariners + in the Crowsnet on embarkation afternoon. I may just be remembering something else, but just wanted to know for sure. Thanks all.

There’s usually a mariner lunch/reception for 3,4 and 5 star mariners on the first or 2nd day. I was recently on the Rotterdam and they had one there-which I couldn’t attend. 

4 hours ago, blg said:

From our April Oosterdam cruise.....

We were invited to a reception in BillBoard Onboard for 3, 4 and 5 Star Mariners a day or so after the cruise began.  The drinks were plentiful and the Captain and many of the officers attended and were mixing.....It was fun.  One of the officers told us that they have 3 of these receptions scheduled for the cruise as there were so many 3, 4, & 5 stars onboard.

Enjoy the Mariner reception.....

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, elmac40 said:

There’s usually a mariner lunch/reception for 3,4 and 5 star mariners on the first or 2nd day. I was recently on the Rotterdam and they had one there-which I couldn’t attend. 

The Mariner lunch, open to ALL Mariners, is usually the last sea day, or next to the last sea day. The drink reception (open to 3, 4 and 5 star Mariners only) is sailaway day, typically.

Thanks everyone. I know about the luncheon and appreciate the info on the come and go reception. I'll watch for it.

I’m on Zuiderdam now and the mariner 3-4-5 star drinks reception was the day after leaving Ft. Lauderdale in the Billboard Onboard at , I think,  11:30 am (?). I didn’t go so don’t remember the exact time, but it was too early for me. No luncheon has been announced yet but we still have 9 days to go!  ~Nancy

58 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I’m on Zuiderdam now and the mariner 3-4-5 star drinks reception was the day after leaving Ft. Lauderdale in the Billboard Onboard at , I think,  11:30 am (?). I didn’t go so don’t remember the exact time, but it was too early for me. No luncheon has been announced yet but we still have 9 days to go!  ~Nancy

Last 2 cruises (K'dam & NS) the invitation arrived the day before the luncheon, so not much notice, but it was fabulous!

Posted (edited)

The last embarkation 4-5-star cocktail reception we recall was in Sept. 2022 on the Zaandam, in the afternoon in the crow's nest. We haven't seen it since. This was separate from the later Mariner luncheon and recognition events.

I think some of these changes occurred post-COVID, when the boarding process changed- we used to get keys and invites in the terminal before boarding, and now keys are in the door mailslot, and invites in the cabin.

Edited by SeaCapt