Carnival to include taxes and port fees in advertised prices as of July 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

But this says Avg/person.  So if I have two people in the room does each person have to pay the average price?  So is the total two times as much?  This is all so confusing.  There should be a law that will force the cruise lines to give me the total price for two people.  That's how they stick it to us.  They make us do our own addition, or would that be multiplication. . .now I have to multiply by two.

Ok I picked a random cruise to coco cay. 1 pax, and then 2 pax. 1 pax always is more than 200% higher because solo cannot book a gty on royal. If you have 340 pts I can enter that and get the total down but most everyone like me does group rates but here is what you see if you arent aware of lower group rates. .. you see the cabin only choice comes up. $804 average for 1 pax plus taxes.

Then to show you I changed to 2 pax, so 2 fees and taxes, but  now it says average fare is $354 per person, and they pick your cabin. Total is only about $10 more because 2 people can do a gty, 1 pax cannot. This is why you see threads about royal, why is the solo supplement mlre than 200%, it's not apples to apples it is 200% just a solo cannot pick gty as a choice on royal.

Before covid solo used to book a invisible 2nd pax to get the lower rate. Often it's a much bigger difference than this, often hundreds, just a random choice. But then royal cracked down on giving solo a 2nd loyalty point if they booked as a double with 2 pax to get the much lower gty rate. 

When I post with royal you really need a TA and do group rates, I'm serious. One I was looking at a 10 day in europe direct in a balconh showed over 5k, but $2700 from my TA. My refundable rate on wonder booked onboard at next cruise was over $3400, but under $1700 refundable in a inside balcony after my TA added discounts. Carnival to me is straightward, royal is not. But anyway,this is how they now show taxes when doing a mock booking. Carnival no surprises, but royal can be a head scratcher to newbies. And I'm not even getting to obc combining. 

Maybe not the best example. I might see prices for the new utopia from 399. And then when I put in 1 pax, the lowest price is over $900, because the first price is a gty price and aolo cannot book a gty on royal. All my royal bookings are refundable group rates, or I wouldnt be booking royal. 

20240517_020753809.jpeg

20240517_020541653.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

16 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It take one click to see the total.  Everyone that is smart enough to "know their state + local sales tax percentage" should also know how to click one time to see the total taxes and port charges.

Actually, I get the total by asking our TA. If and when we book the cruise, his invoice does break out everything including port taxes and fees, but we are really only interested in the bottom line.

I don't understand why anyone has a problem of it being easier to immediately see the bottom line price.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I don't understand why anyone has a problem of it being easier to immediately see the bottom line price.

For some reason, people seem to think it is changing the process for charging taxes and port fees.  It's not.  It's just changing where and how prices are displayed.  Literally nothing else changes.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, StephPS79 said:

For some reason, people seem to think it is changing the process for charging taxes and port fees.  It's not.  It's just changing where and how prices are displayed.  Literally nothing else changes.

It is IMHO, the sky is falling syndrome, if there is a change, it must be for the worse.

• Like 1

It doesnt matter to me for cruises since it's easy to find total price, but I am happy that hotels have to do this now. I hate seeing a price and then you need to go in a book to find out the taxes, resort fees etc. Does anyone know this law applies to Airbnb?

5 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, I get the total by asking our TA. If and when we book the cruise, his invoice does break out everything including port taxes and fees, but we are really only interested in the bottom line.

I can see why it might be needed with the tricks Royal plays. I can especially see why the law is needed with the tricks some hotels and airlines play.

I don't really care one way or another about the law, but I don't understand why some don't think more regulation is going to cost the consumer more money.

6 hours ago, pinto18 said:

It doesnt matter to me for cruises since it's easy to find total price, but I am happy that hotels have to do this now. I hate seeing a price and then you need to go in a book to find out the taxes, resort fees etc. Does anyone know this law applies to Airbnb?

Speaking of airbnb, there is another bill aimed at disclosing all costs associated with clean-up this owner rentals.

Anthony Rendon wants to disrupt the messiest thing about vacations - POLITICO