Barely A Live from Escape May16-26 2024 Trieste (Venice) to Barcelona/10-Day Mediterranean: Italy Croatia Greece France Spain

Posted (edited)

These guys were queuing up to tender ashore. They also strictly adhere to social distancing protocols. 

IMG_3740.thumb.jpeg.d1fa8384407fa5015902dedad0262597.jpeg

This rascal was looking to be a stowaway. 

IMG_3731.thumb.jpeg.09ce8d4cf9bf3a52fdc250f41c43563f.jpeg

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

The Glow Party was last night so many dressed up in their finest white clothes; naturally I wore black. 

This is one of the few occasions when the Prima and Viva excel, turning the theater into a nightclub on several nights to put on great dance parties, leaving all other parties on other ships in the dust. 

Glow Party on the Escape

IMG_3745.thumb.jpeg.bcf945ef3e34563ec6a0808cd0725868.jpeg

Sensoria Party on the Prima

IMG_8510.thumb.jpeg.84c970eb131b26a3a2d2ee09161ea066.jpeg

IMG_8521.thumb.jpeg.2bc3f99f62e76eceb083abadb85e8ac1.jpeg

• Like 6

Hoping the weather warms up enough over the next couple of weeks for the parties to be in SpiceH20 instead of indoors... The Atrium is a really poor venue for a party imo. 

Enjoy your last day today. 😊

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CazV said:

Hoping the weather warms up enough over the next couple of weeks for the parties to be in SpiceH20 instead of indoors... The Atrium is a really poor venue for a party imo. 

Enjoy your last day today. 😊

Yes Spice H2O is a better venue for the nightly parties when the weather cooperates. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

It was another easy day relaxing and walking around Cannes. I was thinking about hopping on the train to Antibes but last tender was at 3:00 and Mallorca is a long way to swim if I miss the little boat to take me back to the big boat. 

While waiting to board the tender from the ship, a wake caused the tender to bob up and down erratically which freaked out one lady who walked back on the ship. The rest of us survivors waited for calmer waters. 

The tender ride is around 10 minutes with a few more minutes added for wait time loading and unloading passengers. Both the ship’s and the local tenders were used. The Escape’s tender is red and the local tender is white sitting behind the Port of Cannes dock. 

IMG_3727.thumb.jpeg.5f770630a6b256a61646a898da3e3cf5.jpeg

The Cannes Film Festival is still happening so I was concerned that the paparazzi would follow me around. I hate when that happens. Thankfully, there was no paparazzi in sight anywhere around me. 

IMG_3446.thumb.jpeg.843a53f3e667d878c84abdc8964c7a30.jpeg

The second time we were in that area we did port in Cannes, but the first time we ported in Villefrance. It was actually our first port ever on a cruise. We had maybe our best ever do it yourself day. We went to Nice and went to both the Matisse and Chagall museums. We then went back to the port, and DW decided she was going to swim in the Mediterranean. I was left to stay with our belongings and although my head was melting, I was able to stand it as she plopped us down where I could observe many topless French women. 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊 She claimed she did not notice, but I do not believe that as I am sure you women notice everything and know what you are doing. 😉

She did say afterwards, however, that the place she changed into her bathing suit (not topless as I guess her ancestry is Scottish and Dutch, not French) was the most disgusting place she had ever been in. From what I understand it was a bathroom for the beach which was basically a hole in the ground. (I did once tell that story about the changing place to some French women we chatted with in an airport line, and they just grinned.)

On 5/18/2024 at 6:47 PM, Sugar Magnolia said:

I never did make it to the one on the Prima. I was relying on you for any important breaking news.

I went to one event on the Prima in the OL. I think it was that Sunday? Captn, the GM Mark, etc

There were like 12 officers including Captn "out" ... about 6 of them-- 3-4 on each side as you came in, and then a bunch more as you got closer to the bar on the left. After about 30 min they all were gone... What event would that have been? There were no annoucments. It was just a meet/greet/cocktail and amuse bouche. We had more of an intro really at our CC event really

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 2:23 PM, Sugar Magnolia said:

Dinner tonight was at Le Bistro, courtesy of American Express. 

I returned to the ship later than expected and begged the hostess at Le Bistro to move my reservation by half an hour so that I could wash the grime and stench off my body. I am certain the hostess backed away from me ever so slightly. She gladly accommodated my request. 

IMG_2621.thumb.jpeg.42fe81ca97241b68b768d2a27eea9a66.jpeg

IMG_2619.thumb.jpeg.e9bed67bcfdc9ed2eef2063f315bedc3.jpeg

You might have noticed that the beef tenderloin no longer comes with foie gras but the $10 supplement sill remains. 

I ordered French onion soup and the duck. The soup was good as usual. None of the main dishes on the menu appeal to me so I always order the duck by default. 

IMG_2623.thumb.jpeg.b4879d72a50cb4668b63e82635a05a57.jpeg

IMG_2627.thumb.jpeg.d1e060331345862911f41a8da7b2a544.jpeg

No dessert but I will boogie over to the buffet for fruit so I don’t have to worry about scurvy. 

IMG_2631.thumb.jpeg.c1ddf722fc24cd81650cac711eead865.jpeg

IMG_2632.thumb.jpeg.4389518696262efe7428da89248f7fd4.jpeg

S

So whats the deal here?

This is different from the LB on Prima just this past month when we paid the sup for the filet with the FG on it. The filet was huge and the FG was generous.

Is this a ship to ship thing?

I know you said LB isn't your fav.

Enjoying your review.

Best

fog

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I was able to stand it as she plopped us down where I could observe many topless French women.

We had decided to stay on the ship for our stop in Cannes in a couple of months,  as we have been there before...plus it's a tender, which we hate.

However, I may need to re-think that plan now...although Mrs. Schmoopie may veto it.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 4

On 5/23/2024 at 2:51 PM, Sugar Magnolia said:

Porto Venere beckons…

IMG_2887.thumb.jpeg.c89b7346db232f985bd6a130b4210fcf.jpeg

Did you take an excursion to get there? Looks like a boat tour??? Would love to go there! I'm enjoying your posts. Taking notes!!

• Like 1

@Sugar Magnolia The dreaded last night, thanks again for taking time away from your posse and giving us a great " Live ". You're a natural at this and I hope to see another Live from you.

Safe Travels home, 

Jim and Carol

PS The next time we are in Tiano Bay we will look around for you and your travel companions

Hope to sail on the Jade one day as I like the Gem and the Jewel. Thank you for the post-mortem.

Did you see me on the Encore at Taino Bay on 1/30? Am certain@schmoopie17 will accuse me of stalking you.

My travel companions and I waited for the rain to let up that morning and then I took them on my Cigar and Cerveza Walking Tour of Puerto Plata. "

escap2.png

escape1.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

We had decided to stay on the ship for our stop in Cannes in a couple of months,  as we have been there before...plus it's a tender, which we hate.

However, I may need to re-think that plan now...although Mrs. Schmoopie may veto it.

👀  👀  👀

Those are eyes just to be clear

• Haha 3

Just now, Sugar Magnolia said:

The saddest sight…even the lights are blue

IMG_3919.thumb.jpeg.2b53b511dfc52dd0aba2e70712676620.jpeg

One trip ends. Another begins.

We board tomorrow after several days in Barcelona. Hope you have a good journey back home.

We enjoyed your review.

• Like 1

Just now, Panhandle Couple said:

One trip ends. Another begins.

We board tomorrow after several days in Barcelona. Hope you have a good journey back home.

We enjoyed your review.

Thank you. Have a wonderful time!

Wish I could stay on board. I would certainly sail this itinerary again. There is always something new to see or do in Europe…explore another town, endless dining options, chat with the locals, I even joined in a game of soccer with some school kids…spoiler alert…they kicked my patootie. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, JIMESOPUS said:

@Sugar Magnolia The dreaded last night, thanks again for taking time away from your posse and giving us a great " Live ". You're a natural at this and I hope to see another Live from you.

Safe Travels home, 

Jim and Carol

PS The next time we are in Tiano Bay we will look around for you and your travel companions

Hope to sail on the Jade one day as I like the Gem and the Jewel. Thank you for the post-mortem.

Did you see me on the Encore at Taino Bay on 1/30? Am certain@schmoopie17 will accuse me of stalking you.

My travel companions and I waited for the rain to let up that morning and then I took them on my Cigar and Cerveza Walking Tour of Puerto Plata. "

escap2.png

escape1.png

The dreaded last night…no truer words. 

Thank you very much for your encouragement. Both you and @mking8288 have been so generous to let me fly co-pilot on your Lives and put up with my antics. It was time that I braved it and flew solo this time. 

I still have a few more pics and wild thoughts to share, in addition to a bonus round of 4 nights in Barcelona post-cruise. 

Yes, please do sign up for my Cigars and Cerveza excursion 😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, sallywallygal said:

Did you take an excursion to get there? Looks like a boat tour??? Would love to go there! I'm enjoying your posts. Taking notes!!

Yes, it was a NCL excursion which I recommend when porting in Livorno…Discovering the Ligurian Coast by Rubber Boat. Doesn’t sound very romantic I know, but there was definitely romance, excitement and pesto. 

I will write more about that excursion and share some pics. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fogfog said:

S

So whats the deal here?

This is different from the LB on Prima just this past month when we paid the sup for the filet with the FG on it. The filet was huge and the FG was generous.

Is this a ship to ship thing?

I know you said LB isn't your fav.

Enjoying your review.

Best

fog

I do not know whether Le Bistro on the other ships have removed the foie gras from the filet. Perhaps this is a question for CCers currently sailing on the other ships. I will be grounded for a while until I get my passport renewed. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Fogfog said:

I went to one event on the Prima in the OL. I think it was that Sunday? Captn, the GM Mark, etc

There were like 12 officers including Captn "out" ... about 6 of them-- 3-4 on each side as you came in, and then a bunch more as you got closer to the bar on the left. After about 30 min they all were gone... What event would that have been? There were no annoucments. It was just a meet/greet/cocktail and amuse bouche. We had more of an intro really at our CC event really

@mking8288 was talking about the Latitudes party in the Observation Lounge on the Prima. They had to hold two separate parties on different days depending on which deck your cabin was on. I was supposed to attend the second one but after hearing from Henry that it was, well, uninformative, I opted not to attend. 

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Thank you. Have a wonderful time!

Wish I could stay on board. I would certainly sail this itinerary again. There is always something new to see or do in Europe…explore another town, endless dining options, chat with the locals, I even joined in a game of soccer with some school kids…spoiler alert…they kicked my patootie. 

4 days in Barcelona will give you lots of time to see things.

We did the 2 day HOHO red and blue lines. (Another company uses green and orange, but close to the same routes)

Beware of pickpocketing in the beach area. We met a couple that had their cell phone stolen on their first day because they weren't paying attention there. Tell anyone approaching you "gracias no" before they get into your personal space. Regular vendors do not hawk things in the street.

We stayed by the Sants train station, and it is more laid back, less crowded, and seems safer than the more touristy areas.

Many places close at 2 or 3 and don't reopen until after 6 at the earliest. Most don't serve dinner until after 8.

The Boqueria market is a great experience. Iberian ham is a must try.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

That I could eat that much gelato. 

When we were in Florence on a cruise tour it was so hot that DW who may be the world's #1 anti-foodie (and loses weight on every cruise and hates having waiters serve her) did not complain when not once, but twice, I had us make gelato stops. 😊

7 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Tell Mrs. Schmoopie that they don't count. If they counted, the women would cover them. Make sure you 🤞🤞; that's with both hands so you can try to lie with a straight face. 🤣

• Like 1