Never been on a waitlist...What are my chances of getting on 10 days from now

On Monday, I paid a deposit of $500 to get on the waiting list for the May 25th Mardi Gras sailing out of Port Canaveral. I was told we were number 7 in line

Has anyone had any experience, or luck with a wait list? Our friends are booked and we had a change of plans and really want to jump on here!

What are our chances? CCL won't give me any information about whether or not the line has moved or where I sit today.

Thanks!!

So far as I know, there is no interface that plucks a name off the waitlist when a cabin is cancelled and back in inventory.  I don’t know who monitors that at Carnival.  Once a cabin pops up it will be online and fair game for anyone.  Your best chance is probably to check the cruise multiple times a day.  EM

• Like 1

Thank you! I'm not looking for any guarantees. I was just looking to see if anybody had any experience with a wait list. The amount of sold out sailings right now is crazy!

Posted (edited)

I was on a waitlist for a 2023 New Years cruise. I never received any information after putting my name on the list. As a back up plan, I contacted my Carnival PVP  … he monitored the cruise for me and was able to find me a cabin within a few hours. My suggestions would be to reach out to your PVP, continually check their website and call carnival several times a day. I do not believe anyone really monitors the waitlist. 

Edited by VIFP1987
Correct spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, VIFP1987 said:

I was on a waitlist for a 2023 New Years cruise. I never received any information after putting my name on the list. As a back up plan, I contacted my Carnival PVP  … he monitored the cruise for me and was able to find me a cabin within a few hours. My suggestions would be to reach out to your PVP, continually check their website and call carnival several times a day. I do not believe anyone really monitors the waitlist. 

The OP actually paid money to be put in a queue at the very last minute. In my mind that means random shoppers online shouldn't even see these cabins. What I suspect happens (this is just a guess on my part) is that the UpSell Department handles this. I know on a recent upsell offer I got approximately one week before my cruise that it wasn't my PVP that directly called me but a unique individual with her own 5 digit extension that reached out to me and that I successfully subsequently returned the call to. We rejected the offer to go from an OV to a Havana Suite but I suspect that had I vacated our original cabin that calls would have been made to Inside cabin holders. Eventually a room opens at the bottom of the upsell chain and the waiting list is tapped; presumably by that same specialized team.

OP, 10 days out with 7 ahead of you? That sounds like a steep hill to climb. Kindly report your actual experience in this thread as it sorts out. Obviously if you don't get to go they give you your $ back. Good luck.

• Like 3

I have also paid $500 to be placed on a wait list for the Celebration. This was in March. I was never contact by Carnival, but kept checking online almost every hour. One cabin did pop up (I assume a last minute cancelation) and I grabbed it. Had to be paid within the hour, so I called in and had the $500 moved over.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Riemercruisin said:

I have also paid $500 to be placed on a wait list for the Celebration. This was in March. I was never contact by Carnival, but kept checking online almost every hour. One cabin did pop up (I assume a last minute cancelation) and I grabbed it. Had to be paid within the hour, so I called in and had the $500 moved over.

I am curious to what the purpose of a wait list is if the cabins still become available online.

• Like 5

UPDATE!

In spite of my persistence, calling Carneval and my guys at VTG, probably an annoying level, I did not get on this cruise. Schools out, holiday weekend...got it! 

On Wed, we hopped on a motorcycle in VA and rode south. We are packed for a 7 day cruise in 2 backpacks.  It's all good though...we are now heading north west, to hug the gulf coast before winding back home.

Who wants to be on a crowded drunken city ship of 6500? Sounds dreadful, now that it's no longer an option! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sorry for all the typos on that update!! Im on the back of the bike, pecking away, hair flying, sun in my eyes...haha! I see no edit option. 

1 hour ago, bevans said:

Sorry for all the typos on that update!! Im on the back of the bike, pecking away, hair flying, sun in my eyes...haha! I see no edit option. 

You only have 20 minutes to edit.  EM